For those who've lost weight using MFP ...

Options
What is the best tip you can give? I'm a newbie (just started yesterday) I work out 5 days a week, and my calorie goal intake is 1200 a day.. I'm just looking for some tips from people who've had success using the program.. Thanks!

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    patience
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I would say...Log everything, even if you have a bad day :) I used to skip that part if I was bad, and then look back and be like "why am I not losing?" Yeah....that's why:) Being honest with yourself is the best thing for you :)
  • momof3babes
    momof3babes Posts: 103
    Options
    Totally agree with the above. Log even the UGLY days. It's such great information to look back through and see your patterns. Mostly importantly- PATIENCE!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    patience

I agree, you didn't gain over night so you won't lose the weight that way either...
    Best wishes in your journey!!!
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Log everything you eat and if you go over your calories, don't give up, just try to do better the next day. And yes, patience.
  • Clipickett
    Clipickett Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie....about two/three weeks here and I've lost 3 lbs. I'd say from one newbie to another, follow that your calorie guidelines and try to log as much as you can. I'm still not logging every day but I'm getting better at it.
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    1. Patience is a good one, don't expect fast results. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet.
    2. Find a good food scale and measure, measure, measure!
    3. Eating some or most of my exercise calories is working for me, but you do what you feel works best for you. It's a huge debate here so do your research:)
    4. Don't weigh everyday, or if you do, only count it once a week. I'm guilty of daily weigh ins, but when you see a loss most of the time, it can be encouraging.
    5. Find lots of friends on here who are supportive. I couldn't do it without the encouragement of my MFPals:)

Good luck and if you need any help, just ask!
  • twinkier
    twinkier Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree you must have patience but also have fun. This is an awesome community to just be you and get the support you need. Once you have a group of friends you can encourage each other and you can learn from each other (eating, working out,etc...). I think that is the key to why this site is such a success, the people that are on it. I promise you will love it and see results. Blessings to you! :-)
  • mandalu292
    mandalu292 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with @wriglucy... some days it's tough to log each thing... but it's worth it for the accountability!
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Also, use the forums for motivation and good info! Good luck to you!
  • freeatlast20
    freeatlast20 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Paitence is the #1 thing....and like others have said....log everything you eat and always know that you will have good days and bad days....there will be some weeks you gain...but dont let it discourage you...this is a lifestyle change not a DIET! you will always have to watch what you eat but always be accountable...you can do it ....one day at a time...one meal at a time...and drink your water....it really does help. Best of luck on your weight loss journey! You can do it!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Be accountable.. you are only cheating yourself
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    patience

Welcome :flowerforyou: Yep, patience. There are no "Get skinny quick" programs. It just doesnt work that way. It took you a while to put it on, it's gonna take a while for it to come off, just take it one day ata a time, and before you know it you'll be heading down the scale. Be patient, but persistent. When people ask me how I stay with it, I just say that if you want it bad enough, you won't fail. Everybody has good days and bad days though, so if you have a bad day just forgive yourself, pick yourself up and keep going. Hope this helps.. :)
  • jreese5226
    jreese5226 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Depending on how active you are at work or during the day otherwise, and given the fact that you work out 5 days a week, watch your calories and your progress to make sure you are eating enough. I have found that now that I eat more calories to fuel my body for the workouts I've been doing, the weight has finally started to come off. I would get so discouraged with week after week of exercising every day and eating my calorie goal every day (1,200, as well), and the scale not budging. MFP is a great tool for figuring out how many calories you should be eating based on how active you are and the exercise you are doing. Good luck!
  • Altiv
    Altiv Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    As said, log everything, some days may be better than others, specially since you're beginning, learn from your bad days so your good days will be better and plan ahead! That helped me almost never going beyond my daily goal. Also try to measure everything, use a food scale if available ;)

Good luck!!
  • gingermim
    gingermim Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    DRINK DRINK AND THEN DRINK SOME MORE AND LOG ALL THAT FOOD/FLUID INTAKE. Be patient and kind to yourself and know that there is always someone here with a few kind words to help you on your journey.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hi Brittany:

1) Friend lots and lots of people! The more support you have, the better!
    2) Eat back as many of your exercise calories as you can. Since you're working out quite a lot you don't want to put your body into starvation mode.
    3) Don't get discouraged if the scale doesn't move for a week or two...or even if it goes the wrong direction. Your body has to get used to this lifestyle.
    4) Track EVERYTHING you eat. I know it seems like it can be a pain to do that, but it will really open your eyes and it will help you make better food choices. Who wants 1 chocolate bar when they can have 1 container of strawberries with fat free whipped cream for the SAME or less calories??? It'll teach you things like that.
    5) If you don't already have one, get an HRM. The information in the exercise database is not always 100% accurate. So it's better for you to track it with your HRM. Get a good one like an FT4. $100 is WORTH IT because it's incredibly accurate. Based on my exercise and food intake, I can literally guess my weigh in weight every week within .1 - .2 lbs. Seriously.
    6) Do not get discouraged when you start losing weight if you're losing a pound or LESS per week. I have recently discovered that based on BMR, it would be almost impossible for me to healthfully lose more than 1 pound per week. Although my goals are set higher and MFP tries to get me there, the numbers don't add up. It was a really crappy day yesterday when I realized that, but I'm getting over it slowly and working on being okay with it.
    7) Above all, remember that NO ONE on here is a doctor. Okay, maybe a couple of people are. But seriously...we're all just people trying to lose weight. A lot of people are going to tell you to not eat exercise calories, that hcg and other speed loss drugs and supplements are safe and effective, that if you're working out you don't have to watch what you eat, and that people who tell you otherwise don't know what they're talking about. If you're truly curious about things you should go see a nutritionist. Someone who can tell you the actual scientific realities behind your own body's mechanics. None of us is the same and therefore we can't all do what everyone else is doing.

Hope that helps!
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I log everything, that has been key for me. It's amazing how much I think about what I eat knowing I need to log it. Its not that I care what anyone thinks about what I eat but it makes me realize just how much crap I consume. This makes me consume a little less :smile:
  • dmmsquared
    Options
    Don't think of this as a diet, but as a lifestyle change. You'll probably lose weight on a diet, but if you don't change the way you are eating, as soon as you stop "dieting" you'll gain it all back and probably more.

Just as important as the calories you intake is what those calories consist of. Stay away from processed/canned/fast food as much as you can. Go with fresh/frozen fruits & veggies, whole grains, dairy. Try new recipies. Make the food part fun.

Drink your 8 glasses of water each day.

Watch your sodium intake. I wish that was a default setting in the Food Diary. Turn on sodium. You'll be amazed at how much you actually take in each day.

Remember, you didn't put the weight on all at once. It will take some time for it to come off.

Check out the link in my signature. Lots of good info in there...

Have fun and be healthy!!!
  • weight2go
    weight2go Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I have lost 18 pounds in two months. It has not been easy nor fast. But I did not put it on that way, and I feel so much better for it. MFP makes it so easy. Wishing you pounds lighter.