For those who've lost weight using MFP ...

Options

Replies

• neyes67
    neyes67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If possible, plan your meals ahead of time and enter them in your dairy in advance (daily or weekly) so you can see where you stand before you start your day. It helps with planning your grocery list and allows you to stay focused and on track. Enjoy the community onthis site which will keep you motivated, inspired and encouraged ...definitely make new friends as often as possible... we can learn something new every day:flowerforyou:
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    First, I love using the app on my phone to log in EVERYTHING. Also, the first couple of weeks I just ate smaller portions of what I'd normally eat and then slowly started incorporating new and healthier options. Second, find some people on here and STICK to them like glue. They are great motivators. Last, take it meal by meal, day by day with the entire picture in mind. It helps me get through some tough times.
  • carlos83ra
    Options
    Fill up on Veggies and fruit... lots of seeds,nuts and pleanty of water. No soda, cheese, bread or fastfood. The most important thing is not eating after 5... I've dropped 27lbs and dont even have to go to the gym like I used to. GOOD LUCK AND I THINK THE WEBSITE WAS GREAT ON TELLING ME WHAT I WAS EATING PUT EVERYTHING!!!!!

2383705.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Hi there and welcome!

A few basics that has worked for me.

1. Set achievable goals - no point failing and getting discouraged.
    2. Don't lose weight too quickly. Be patient.
    3. Weigh yourself no more than once a week, and do so at the same sort of time of day (me, wed mornings before breakfast)
    4. Don't set up a daily/weekly exercise scheduled that you'll struggle to maintain.
    5. Log everything and be honest.
    6. Balanced diet is key. There's no point in being under your cal goal each day if all the cals are sugar and fat.
    7. Keep hydrated.
    8. If it hurts, stop. "no pain no gain" is stupid.

Lastly, enjoy!
  • BeGreat25
    BeGreat25 Posts: 78
    Options
    yes patience and all that is great but definitely follow what carbs, fat, sodium and sugar MFP limits you to. I noticed when I watched my sodium intake I was losing weight.
  • swbmcknight
    Options
    Really watch your salt intake! I didn't think it was a big deal, and was having a Lean Pocket for lunch for about a week. BIG MISTAKE! Don't eat prepackaged or "ready made" meals if you can avoid it. I know sometimes it's hard when you're at work, and forgot your lunch ect ect.
    It's amazing how much of a difference sodium intake makes. On the days that you do get up there, drink lots and lots of water to help your body get rid of it easier.
    The nutrients tracker has been really helpful. Made me realize that I was anemic and once I started taking a supplement I felt loads better, could workout longer without getting winded or dizzy.
    Good Luck!
  • Trafty024
    Trafty024 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Track everything no matter what! Even if you know you went over, make sure to log it. It has really helped me stay accountable and be aware of what I’m eating. I go by the motto "Just because I didn't track it doesn't mean it didn't happen!". I wasn't successful on WW previously because I would lie to myself... I would eat something and not count it and try to act like it didn't happen.

I’ve lost 18lbs on MFP since Jan and am loving it! I’ve had several days where I’ve gone way over calories…a few days my calories were over by 3000 or more! But, I still tracked everything. Even when I went out and had several drinks and things got fuzzy, I’d make sure I had a way to tally how many I had so I wouldn’t just give up and lose track.

So that’s my advice. Use the tool as it is intended and you will be successful!
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    dont be afraid of upping your calories if you dont see a budge within a week or two... 1200 is the minimum you should be eating...so stick with that number or bump up to 1300. I bumped up as I felt 1200 wasn't the right number for me and I saw my weight loss move in the right direction right away.

also, as everyone else has mentioned, is patience. Remember this is a lifestyle change not a fad diet...you are learning what to eat, how much to eat, and where you need to adjust. Some of the goal numbers may not be right for you, so adjust accordingly and have an open mind. Every body is different and it takes time to take off the weight that we put on over the years.

You will do wonderfully!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    1. Be Patient because you didn't gain it in a short period of time so it won't come off in a short period.
    2. Log EVERYTHING. Don't say "well I only had one cracker so I won't log it" (for example) because one cracker, one bite of dinner being made, one bite of peanut butter all adds up lol. You see where I am going?
    3. You are only cheating and lying to yourself if you don't log something or say you ate less of something!!!!
    4. A lot of people plateau at some point. Be patient with that too.
    5. BUY A SCALE lol. I found out my servings were double of what I thought.
  • bigbird_lv
    Options
    I'll say that I haven't been on here long, about two weeks, and I'm an above average guy when it comes to fitness. I played college football and have pretty much maintained my same weight in the 10 years since I've graduated (somewhat of a different proportion of muscle and fat but I'm still pretty fit just not the bulging muscles I once had). My struggle was always controlling my food portions and this website has helped me put into prospective the amount of calories I was consuming. By documenting everything, I can pretty much plan out my meals and know where I need to stay to hit to my goals. I've lost 7 lbs in a week and a half and the only thing I changed was reducing the amount of calories. I work out the same which is lifting weights 4 times a week and some type of cardio 3 days a week (running and/or Insanity). I've been more than pleased with my results. I wanted to lose a pound a week over the next two months. I have essentially hit my goal in two weeks.

My advice to you is to stay disciplined and spread out your meals as much as possible to combat the fact that you will be hungry at the beginning cutting to just 1200 calories. For example, normally for lunch I might have a sandwich, chips, and piece of fruit. Now, I might eat the sandwich and chips during lunch and save the piece of fruit for an hour later. Drinking alot of water has helped reduce my cravings. Also having low calorie snacks such as celery comes in handy.

Make sure you are getting enough protein and calcium with your 1200 calorie intake. Remember that the calories burned during your workouts give you extra food calories to play around with. You will need them at times, especially working out 5 days a week and only consuming 1200 calories.

Good luck and be safe and healthy.
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It's not just about calories. It's about what you are feeding your body. Try to eat quality whole "slow" foods. Research "clean eating". After you get the hang of logging everything, pay attention to your carb intake, sodium, and sugar.

Good luck and keep moving!:smile:
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Don't over weigh yourself. You weight will fluctuate daily. If you notice a rise on the scale, DON'T GIVE UP! It takes time & lots of patience. You should also get in a habit of taking your measurements; I'd say to measure every 2 weeks or so because you may not see a big difference on the scales every time you weigh.....but if you are losing inches, then you KNOW that you are doing something right.

Good luck in your weight loss journey. I wish for you nothing but the best!

YOU CAN DO IT.....YOU WILL DO.....DON'T GIVE UP.......JUST DO IT! =D
  • brittanym30
    Options
    Wow, Thank you all for your AMAZING tips!! I got so much more than I thought I would, I really appreciate it — Thanks for all the support :happy:
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    log everything. use message boards for support and questions. people are are great. get friends, it makes you feel a little more accountable. success will keep you coming back. I've used other sites for tracking food and this one is the BEST.
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    First of all, I would say you must log, log.. I am so addicted! Haha... My fiance says I get on this site more than Facebook, lol. Anyway, my other recommendations would be:

*Have a GREAT support system. ((You could add me if you like!)) I love my group of friends on MFP... We all motivate each other, love each other, support each other. If one of us is having a bad day-- we pick each other up! I look forward to reading my encouraging messages and uplifting motivational messages by my friends.

*Have a GREAT support system off of MFP! Believe it or not, there is a world outside of MFP--- gasp--- deep breaths, count to 10! It will be okay! :) When I am not on MFP by support system of my family and friends KNOW that I am a calorie counter, I come with a warning label or something now (lol) and they support me by not shoving food in my face and being cautious around me. (I am not saying this works with everyone, but it does with me.)

*Work out when you can, love it.. embrace it.. Not enough to hate it though :) I change my routine throughout the week using my stationary bike, treadmill, and kickboxing class! We also incorporate some salsa dancing some nights into kickboxing (my instuctor is amazing, lol).

*Don't get discouraged if you don't see a big loss! A pound is a pound.. And PRAISE yourself for that pound! You've done well! Anything more is a MAJOR plus! (And not a bad plus! Haha)

Best of luck, and like I said.. If you want to... Add me! I love new friends!! :)
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Also, use the forums for motivation and good info! Good luck to you!

totoal side note - but wow I love the pic on ur tracker :) x
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I would suggest letting MFP decide your calorie intake for the first 3 weeks. You don't want to go too drastic with your calorie restriction as you may set yourself up for failure... And Patience and fun :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Eating less is not always better.

Sometimes having too big a calorie deficit doesn't work.
  • cmsdives
    cmsdives Posts: 71
    Options
    I would say...Log everything, even if you have a bad day :) I used to skip that part if I was bad, and then look back and be like "why am I not losing?" Yeah....that's why:) Being honest with yourself is the best thing for you :)

I totally and completely agree.

Also, don't beat yourself up when you do slip, 'cuz your gonna. The harder you beat yourself up, the harder getting back up is going to be.

You can do this and have definitely come to the right place. The support, strength, love and friendships you'll find here are SO wonderful and (in my humble opinion) create an atmosphere in which you CAN be successful. We'll be here to cheer on your victories, no matter how small, and support you in those times when you fall. :flowerforyou:

Best of Luck!!!
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key - true for food, working out, etc. I agree that logging everything is crucial. I also keep a close eye on my sodium intake (try for less than 1500 a day) and my fiber (35g a day), drinking a lot of ice water - keep a tall bottle by your side at all times and keep sipping it. Don't get disappointed when the results don't come as quick as you think - it will happen if you stick with it.

Good luck and feel free to add me for support if you would like :)