How do you get your weight lifting calories?????

Options
Could someone tell me how to get the calories for lifting. I put in all my sets and reps and then there is a zero??? Thanks

Replies

• shanhawk
    shanhawk Posts: 44
    Options
    I have a HRM so I can get my cals burned and then I log it under Cardio. It might not be "right" but it works for me.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    There is strength training listed under the cardio section.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I usually do mine as circuit training and then I add my calories for my HRM.
  • pbj47710
    pbj47710 Posts: 3
    Options
    You have to use cardio instead of strength training. It should calculate for you. I personal use a heart rate monitor that has a calorie counter. That way i can get my exact numbers for me personally.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    There is a category under the cardiovascular section of exercise that will give you calories based on time. That is how most of us get some 'credit' for strength training. Due to the differences in exercises, weights, reps etc from person to person it does not even try to estimate calories in the strength training section but it might be helpful for you to record there just so you can see your progress. But to get your earned calories record in under cardiovascular. Its not a lot of calories compared to other cardiovascular workouts but you will get some.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I do P90X and I use an HRM for all of my workouts with the exception of X-Stretch. On weight training days, I take the HRM reading and enter only 2/3 of the burn. Weight training burns are not accurately recorded on HRMs because your heart rate goes up due to pressure and exertion and NOT from a demand for more volume of blood pumped. Also, your Oxygen uptake is lower as you are not taking in as much Oxygen as you would if you were doing a cardio workout. I discount the burn so I do not run the risk of overeating my exercise calories and it has worked for me. I am averaging between 1.65-1.85 pounds lost per week.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor to get my actual calories burned while weight lifting. Then I put it in as a cardio activity called "Strength Training". Enter the time and cals burned from the HRM.
  • Carlasboy
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help.