Trader Joe's

Options
I've never been to one... but there's one near work that I'm contemplating checking out. Anyone have any opinions to share? Foods to get? Is it expensive? etc...

Thanks guys!

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    Trader Joe's is my FAVORITE GROCERY STORE EVER!! Aside from Uwajimaya's, but that's cuz I'm asian....
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately we live in Texas and there isn't one in our whole state but I've heard really good things about it. Some say it is a cheaper version of Whole Foods.
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Great store! Just like anywhere, look at the nutritional value of things... I always get my flowers there... cheap! Good food, lots of healthy stuff... and lots of unhealthy stuff that is super yummy!
  • Msvalsworld
    Msvalsworld Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I loooove Trader Joes
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I Love Trader Joe's. My favorite products are

-Roasted Seaweed (only 30 calories/serving)
    -Almond Milk
    -Soy Chorizo
    -100 calorie pita breads
    -Smoked Gouda Light
    -100% pure Stevia extract (1 oz bottle)
    -Chickenless strips
    -Veggie Sausage
    -Chicken burgers (when I ate meat)
    -Hummus
    -Olive Tapenade...

The list goes on! But those are things I always have at home..
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I need to check it out. It's just not the most convenient for me...
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    My kids love the Super Nutty Toffy Cluster cereal. Not exactly diet friendly but it sure tastes good.

Prices are good and bad depending on what it is and what you're comparing too.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    its a great store with great products / produce. I trust it over most chain grocery stores and their fresh flowers are amazing!
  • patp05
    patp05 Posts: 1
    Options
    I LOVE Trader Joe's! The items they sell are mostly their own brand, so most of the stuff is cheaper than in a regular store. Their products are natural or organic, making them better for you. I really enjoy their greek yogurt or their everything crackers. Their peanut butter has no sugar in it, making it wonderful! The down side is they are limited in their variety of foods. I don't usually buy my cleaning supplies or paper products from them. However, I do buy all my vitamins from them. Try it and see if you like it.
  • ejharris
    ejharris Posts: 6
    Options
    On the whole, Trader Joe's packaged foods (snacks, drinks, bread, etc) are inexpensive. They also have really cheap wine that is pretty good :) On the fresh veggies and meats though, its not always the cheapest option.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I love the store! Everything is organic and amazing! Not expensive at all. I recommend the fruits which are so good, fresh, last long. I love their prepared meals (esp their chicken masala), their mango ice cream bars (60 cals a pop - yum), their hotdogs are to die for..... oh, so much more.
  • jawolfe
    jawolfe Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    YES! Love it! We get our dinner there almost every night. The food there is so convenient, and it's just a pleasure to shop there! Lots of healthy choices!
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately we live in Texas and there isn't one in our whole state but I've heard really good things about it. Some say it is a cheaper version of Whole Foods.

Not really comparable to Whole Foods, at least in size and selection. The produce section of some Whole Foods store are larger than most Trader Joe's I've been in. Prices though do seem to be much less than WF. Good Value!
  • StefBeeney
    Options
    Love Trader Joe's... If you live in an area where they can sell wine (I don't, but I have family that does), you can get it cheep... and the Charles Shaw wine (sometimes refered to as 2 Buck Chuck) can be passed of as a more expensive bottle to people who don't know what it is...
  • helthymom6
    Options
    the only thing I have had from trader joe's is thier pound plus bars. Yes they are chocolate bars that are more than a pound:) My Uncle buys them by the case. Never realized they sold healthy foods. i'll have to check them out.
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    They offer a good selection of organic food for waaay cheaper than Whole Foods. I haven't had a product from there that I haven't liked.
  • ljbrauer
    ljbrauer Posts: 62
    Options
    Trader Joe's is by far the best place to shop for food, IMO! I don't have one to go to in Montana, but when I visit family in other states and there is a TJ's I stock up! They are not expensive at all and what I think is so great about TJ's is that whenever something hits the shelves in other name brand markets TJ's will come up with their own version and it is usually tastier. I really miss not being able to shop there regularly and I definitely recommend it.

When I do make it to TJ's I usually get only foods that will travel well, so no refrigerated food.
    - pepper/sea salt grinders
    - everyday seasoning grinder
    - 21 seasoning
    - peanut butter pretzels (my husband absolutely loves these!)
    - 2 buck chuck (really yummy wine that is seriously only 2 buck a bottle)
    - sesame sticks
    - face wash
    - lotion
    - cookies for the hounds

I usually get more than that, especially when there's something new they just came out with. TJ's rocks!
  • leb89
    leb89 Posts: 54
    Options
    Love Trader Joe's... If you live in an area where they can sell wine (I don't, but I have family that does), you can get it cheep... and the Charles Shaw wine (sometimes refered to as 2 Buck Chuck) can be passed of as a more expensive bottle to people who don't know what it is...

I LOVE their two buck chuck! I always buy it by the case- 12 delicious bottles :D
    I also love their wide selection of cheese and crackers, yummmmy.
  • nhhartmann
    nhhartmann Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Paneer Tikka Masala frozen meal is my favorite thing there - I have one close to me and I buy 5 - 10 at a time! It is a 330 calorie and has a fair amount of fat but it's so tasty - it's like a major indulgence for me so I really can build it into my day and feel like I'm not even watching what I eat!!!
  • shanpgh
    shanpgh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I ♥ Trader Joe's. That place really helps me stay on track without sacrificing flavor or paying a ton of money. Here are a few of my favorites.

Quinoa
    Polenta
    Low Carb Whole Wheat Flatbread
    Naan Bread
    Frozen Edamame
    Frozen Fire Roasted Vegetables
    Frozen side dishes that are amazing just check the label, some aren't all that healthy.
    Fresh produce at very inexpensive prices and great quality
    Fresh cheeses (I like the crumbled goat cheese)
    Jalapeño Cilantro Hummus
    Fresh Salsa
    Fresh Pesto
    Sweet Chili Sauce (this is great on just about anything if you need a little sweet/spicy flavor because you don't need a lot of it)
    Fat Free Balsamic Dressing (I use this EVERY day)
    Boxed Low Sodium Butternut Squash Soup
    Whole Grain Pretzels
    Flax Seed Tortilla Chips
    Granola/Oatmeal
    Blueberry Flax Seed
    Great coffee and tea
    Dried fruits
    Nuts
    Dark chocolate covered blueberries (my weakness!)
    And if you are cheating at all, their baked goods are incredible

ps - my kids love the frozen Gorgonzola Gnocchi.

ENJOY! Trader Joe's may become your favorite place to grocery shop. Also, their reusable bags are awesome and they hold up really well.