Lent

Options
Hey guys!

Just wanted to know if anyone had suggestiongs for Friday dinner meals during Lent? I'm not a fish person so I'm always kindof at a loss on what to eat. I used to do pasta..but that usually takes up lots of my daily calories (I LOVE pasta and always eat a little more than I want to). Tonight so far I've only thought of PB&J...horrible I know, but I'll also be babysitting all afternoon & evening so it has to be something I can make before I leave.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Replies

• TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    any other types of seafood you like? scallops & shrimp & crap are yummy & low cal! or make it a breakfast for dinner night with an omlette or pancakes? :o)
  • kuechletwins
    kuechletwins Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge fan of fish either, but I LOVE the Lean Cuisine Tortilla Crusted Fish and rice. I'm having that for lunch today! Also - what about scrambled eggs or an egg salad sandwich? Tomato soup? We do pb&j for the kids too...
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    English muffin cheese pizza's. I use thomas's 100 calorie english muffins.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
  • jillMoose
    jillMoose Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    im having the same dilemma -- except that i have given up all-things-bread also.... hmmm...
    my only recipe i thought up was salad with egg white and feta cheese -- to get the protein i need in place of my grilled chicken!
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Spinach salad with egg and lots of beans...
    Veggie omelet...
    shrimp... whatevers...
    I love cooked spinach and cooked zuchinni...I sometimes do 1 potatoe with brussel sprouts, carrots, zuchinni and spinach and just saute it with a teaspoon of garlic olive oil.

Hope this helps.
    L
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

Just wanted to know if anyone had suggestiongs for Friday dinner meals during Lent? I'm not a fish person so I'm always kindof at a loss on what to eat. I used to do pasta..but that usually takes up lots of my daily calories (I LOVE pasta and always eat a little more than I want to). Tonight so far I've only thought of PB&J...horrible I know, but I'll also be babysitting all afternoon & evening so it has to be something I can make before I leave.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Replace the meat or fish with beans. Black beans white beans ect. THey are full of fiber and protien
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Veggie soup, that's what we're having tonight.
  • nomoremuffintop42
    nomoremuffintop42 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    That's what we or having!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    make a delicious salad:

a morningstar farms spicy black bean burger (cooked and chopped into a bazillion pieces)
    2-3 cups (or more!) of romaine, baby greens, etc
    1/2 cup thawed frozen corn
    1/2 cup canned low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
    desired amount of salsa
    a few Tbsp of Wholly Queso (get it in the produce department)
    a Tbsp or so of spicy jalapeno dressing (i like Marzetti)
  • MrsPalek
    MrsPalek Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite dishes is whole grain rice with black beans; I add a little 2% shredded cheese and some salsa. I never even miss that there's no meat.
    Try not to focus on the "no" meat factor. Besides, it's Lent, meals should be meager. We always go over the top with seafood during Lent with crab, lobster and shrimp and I always feel so guilty. Try to remember what Jesus did for us all and then maybe a meager meal once a week isn't such a sacrafice on our part.

Dana
    Dover, FL
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options
    any other types of seafood you like? scallops & shrimp & crap are yummy & low cal! or make it a breakfast for dinner night with an omlette or pancakes? :o)

LOL, I'm sorry to pick on you but the "crap" made me giggle...thanks for that!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Soup and salad, bean burritos or tacos, grilled veggies (as a main, not a side), pizzza, shrimp or veggie stir-fry.

Love the breakfast-for-dinner suggestion!
  • kristy3119
    kristy3119 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pasta. Too much :) For me, the best way to prevent overdoing it is to only make one serving (weigh it!) and throw in a ton of veggies. Beans too, for protein and fiber to keep you full. That way it looks like you have an enormous meal, but it's not going to ruin your day, calorie wise.
  • lisapisa1
    lisapisa1 Posts: 115
    Options
    quesdilla with sauteed zucchini, onions, mushrooms and reduced fat cheese. yummmmmmmmmmm
  • BSheff11
    BSheff11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian chili is good and filling (and easy to make: canned chili beans, add some water & veggies of choice. simmer for 20 minutes or so).On the "bean" theme, you could do a southwest sald with black beans and corn as the protein/fiber fillers.

We're having eggplant, grilled marinated portobello mushroom cap, and caprese salad for dinner tonight.
  • supernovadark
    Options
    Do. You. Like. Nopales?

I love cactus. Salads. Omeletes. Stuffed with cheese.

I have so many recipes for you. I love my grandma's cooking during lent.
  • Stephendw9
    Stephendw9 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I know most non-Louisiana people will think this is kind of crazy, BUT Alligator could be considered a non-meat, depending on how you look at it. And the fact is that it is by far one of the leanest types of "meat" you can cook. If you purchase it at a restaurant they add all types of things to it (I know my friend serves it at their restaurant), but if you cook it at home (either blackened or fried) it is very healthy, even 6 oz. of it fried is only around 350 calories and about 22 protein.

Just a suggestion.
  • kevinthenerd
    kevinthenerd Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation but for a different reason. I abstain from fish (as well as red meats) on Fridays in Lent because I love fish and prefer it over red meats. (I actually look forward to Taco Bell's seafood offerings this time of year.)

If you want to split hairs, I went to Catholic school for 14 years and spent a year as a theology major in college, and I'll second that alligator is "okay" to eat because it's cold blooded. Again, it's all about the intent. If it's not a luxury to you and it won't satisfy a craving, eat it by all means.

Eggs are cheap, simple, and pretty good for you. Vegetable soups are cheap too; I happen to like minestrone or lentil soups. The sodium is high out of a can, but I'm still making baby steps toward a healthier lifestyle.

In a pinch (and with less-than-ideal nutrition), try cheese pizza or a bean burrito. The Taco Bell 7-layer burrito is my personal weakness worth about 500 calories, but a fresco bean burrito is 350 (or 370 non-fresco), and 2 of them are quite filling compared to some other choices worth 700 calories. Yeah, that's a lot, but it's still pretty good for what you can eat out of a window.
  • rmarin18
    rmarin18 Posts: 16
    Options
    It's looking like pancakes for tonight...easiest thing & most importantly, I have the ingredients at home!
    Thanks for all the suggestions...this is probably shocking, but in my 21 years alive, I don't think I've ever had real beans. I've had baked beans, and refried beans (I think that's the kind in most Mexican cooking)...but I'm scared to try them! I've copied down all these suggestions so I can try them next week (just too lazy to conquer the store tonight)! We'll see how this goes...thanks!