First 5K race--any advice?

Options
I started using the C25K program in January as a New Year's Resolution and had this crazy pipe dream about running a 5K in March or April. Never even kind of expected I'd actually manage it, it was just something to work toward.

Then a crazy thing happened. I got good at running. I had never run more than maybe two or three minutes at a time when I started. The 30 second runs left me puffing. Now I'm almost frustrated with the program when it tells me to "Walk Now." I wanna run!

So anyway, the point of my blabbering is that it looks like I might actually have to step up and keep my New Year's Resolution. But I know absolutely nothing about participating in a race. I've never even been to one as an observer. How does it work, exactly? Is the warm-up factored into the race or do you somehow do that before hand? Should you warm up before you get to the racing site? I'm probably going to be driving about two hours to find a 5K to participate in, so that would be a big problem. Are the races usually run in a park or along a road? What do I need to ask about that I don't even know enough to ask? I feel really nervous and out of my element about doing this, but I absolutely don't want to let that get in the way of achieving something I honestly thought I'd never be able to do. I'd appreciate anyone who has experience with a 5K giving me some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    keep it steady or do intervals: fast, slow, fast, slow.... you will do great!
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice for you, as I've never run a 5K, but I just wanted to thank you for posting some of the questions that I've been asking myself! :)
  • stacybrowning
    Options
    Just make sure you don't start off too fast. When you are in a "racing" element, it's easy to get caught up and want to sprint out, but you will tire quickly. Start out slow. i like to find someone who is about my pace and keep up with them for the first half, then if you feel you can, you can pick up the pace towards the end. Passing that person, and picking it up if they start to catch up ... I'm no expert, but that's my advice. Why do you have to drive 2 hours? All the races I have done have been done on the road, not a trail, but I"m sure there are some that do trail runs. It's so much fun. Great atmosphere. Once you do it, you will want to do more!
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live but there usually are running clubs you can join. For instance I have the Dallas Running Club which is like 40bucks for the year and there's several races, usually on Saturdays. They're run at one of the most popular lakes in Dallas. Go to Active.com and look for races and events in your area. At a race you'll find differnt types of people. People who are actually racing and want the medal, someone whose just trying to achieve a goal, beginners, intermediates, and advanced. You're at a race but take your time and do what you've been doing. However, races are fun because you can actually compete a little bit with yourself if you're competitive. Just get out sign up for one. Nerves might kick in. I get nervous til' this day for whatever race I'm doing. I have ran a full marathon and evena half but even when I go out to do a 5k, my nerves still get to me; because every run is different. Good luck and way to go!
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Show up early so you can pick up your registration packet, use the restroom, etc. There will probably be a huge line for the restrooms!

Eat normally-- if you're just doing a 5k, no need to "carbo load" like marathoners do. The morning before the race, eat a light breakfast-- I usually have toast, tea, and a piece of fruit-- bananas are great before races because the potassium helps prevent muscle cramping. But skip the 4-egg omelet and saussage stack!

When you line up for the start, the fastest runners will line up near the front. Pick somewhere in the middle of the pack to begin (unless you're a pro). The first hundred yards are so are going to be crowded and you might not be able to get into your usual running rythm right away-- that's ok, things will thin out eventually and you'll be able to find your groove!

DON'T GO OUT TOO FAST. A lot of runners fly out of the starting gate like bats out of hell. Unless you're experienced at this, you will not be able to sustain this pace. Just start at your steady, usual pace. Remember, you have to maintain this for 3.1 more miles!

At the finish (yay!), it's considered bad 5k etiquette to suddenly sprint the last couple of yards to pass people-- the theory is, if you have that much speed and energy left at the end of the race, why didn't you use it on the course? But of course, once you see the finish line it's hard not to pick it up a little!

Most importantly-- have fun!!! This is a great accomplishment, and you're entering into a great new community of runners.
  • AlyssaC2010
    AlyssaC2010 Posts: 100
    Options
    I started using the C25K program in January as a New Year's Resolution and had this crazy pipe dream about running a 5K in March or April. Never even kind of expected I'd actually manage it, it was just something to work toward.

Then a crazy thing happened. I got good at running. I had never run more than maybe two or three minutes at a time when I started. The 30 second runs left me puffing. Now I'm almost frustrated with the program when it tells me to "Walk Now." I wanna run!

So anyway, the point of my blabbering is that it looks like I might actually have to step up and keep my New Year's Resolution. But I know absolutely nothing about participating in a race. I've never even been to one as an observer. How does it work, exactly? Is the warm-up factored into the race or do you somehow do that before hand? Should you warm up before you get to the racing site? I'm probably going to be driving about two hours to find a 5K to participate in, so that would be a big problem. Are the races usually run in a park or along a road? What do I need to ask about that I don't even know enough to ask? I feel really nervous and out of my element about doing this, but I absolutely don't want to let that get in the way of achieving something I honestly thought I'd never be able to do. I'd appreciate anyone who has experience with a 5K giving me some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Good for you for wanting to get in a race! I never though I could do it, but me and my friend do one a month, and I feel so accomplished by them! This is what happens: We get to the race site (it can be a park, it can be at a college, I've also run through one of those rich, country club residental neighborhoods...that was a nice view! lol), you go sign in. Then you go outside and typically warm up. Don't static stretch, you want to ballistic stretch (stretching but moving while you are) to warm up because you want a little tightness in your muscles to get you moving. When the race starts, you start out running. And you go from there! Sometimes the races can be hillier than others, but just keep on moving. When I feel I'm running out of energy, I slow my pace and go slow and steady just to keep moving. If I really feel out of energy I'll walk for a minute or two and pick up again.
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've only run a yearly 5K in my town so far What I learned from that race......Get there at least a half hour early in order to register, take one last potty break and stretch. Don't worry about running the whole way if you don't feel up to it. Plenty of people don't. I even see some people that walk the entire way. They will provide water at the end and possibly a snack too. Just go out there do your best and have fun!!!
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'll do my best to answer your questions.
    1. Warm-up is NOT factored into the race. There is a start-line and from there, your "time" starts (now almost exclusively done with an electronic chip in a "bib" you receive)
    2. Warm-up AT the site, and just before the race. Typically you need to be there >30 min before race start, and depending on the number of other entrants, there could be a "pile-up" at the beginning - meaning you won't have much space to get warm.
    3. Most races have their course posted online (re: park vs. road running). That's also where you could probably find a 5k closer to you! (type in "5k race" and your zip into google and it should give you results).
    4. Ask where the water station is and if snacks are provided - you'll want to fuel yourself before AND after your race. Make sure to find an area to stretch afterwards too.
    5. ENJOY YOURSELF. Take your time, and stay within your running ability. The first few times I ran, I got caught up in the "race aspect" at the beginning and burnt out within a mile. Be smart - if you've been training, you should know about how fast you are running and what you're capable of. Don't be scared - at the finish, you will really feel a sense of accomplishment.

Good luck!!
  • MeganCrotty0711
    MeganCrotty0711 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The internet has many many website that will give you a listing of races in your area. Coolrunning.com is a big one. If you haven't already signed up for one on line you can sign up for it the day of the race but be forwarned that they may sell out quickly. Eat a light breakfast an hour or two before leaving the house, banana and peanut butter is always good. Show up to the race an hour before, You'll have to go to the registry tent/table to pick up your bib number and get your bag of goodies. Warm up by jogging around the parking lot or the street and take a look at the course map if you haven't already done that on the website. Stick to low key events as there aren't many other runners that are too intimidating. oh and make sure you use the restrooom before lining up to start! Have fun and don't worry if you have to stop and walk.
  • newjmf
    newjmf Posts: 78
    Options
    Most well-planned races have tents with food (orages, bananas, water, etc.) for when you finish. There should be some type of restroom facility there, also. Warm-up is on your own prior to the race...you will see people stretching and jogging short sprints to get their legs warm. Since it is your first race, be respectful that others have been running for YEARS and will run at a faster pace, so try to start at the back and out of the path of "speedy gonzalez". Run at your own pace, walk when you need to catch your breath. The race route and type of surface will vary each time....some are only on roadways and some are only in parks, etc. It just depends. You can look for races to participate in at www.active.com. This site trys to provide the most information available regarding the races/paths/etc.

On a side note, if there is a fun run, the 5Ks are usually first and the fun runs last, but always ask which run starts first.

Good luck and don't be intimidated! Go for it!
  • lrhopkina
    lrhopkina Posts: 10
    Options
    I have not run in one myself (walked in one), but have been to many races for my husband. You go to the check in location and get your race packet - will include your number (bring your own safety pins) and maybe a plastic chip to put on your shoe (this measures your actual time). Dress for the weather - if you shed clothes while you are running you may not see them again.

Do your warm up before the race starts - especially since you have to drive a long way to get there. Build in time for it on site. Don't start at the front of the pack -this is where the serious races start, and don't want slower people in their way. The race may start off slow if there are a lot of people, but your time does not start until you cross the starting line.

Before you register for a race, check out the terrain - make sure it is similar to where you have been training. Unexpected hills are no fun!
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Something you may not know is the energy on race day is so exciting . . .there are people everywhere cheering, there are people right in front of you running that you can try to pass, there are people who are trying to catch you. It really is a lot of fun.

It has been a while since I ran one, but I am training for one in May. I took a while off having babies and such. My husband runs in them regularly. There is time before the race that you can stretch or warm up as needed. They have all the folks line up at the start line. In the last few races my husband has been in they gave him a little tag to attach to his clothes or his shoe. That tag recorded when he actually started the race by crossing the start line, as well as his official finish time. It was quite cool.

Afterwards there are usually drinks and food, but not all the time. Hang out and watch the winner awards. Typically they give awards for the top three finishers of each gender in different age groups.

Most of all, enjoy yourself, don't start out too fast, and just have fun. Walk if you need to and then start running again. You won't be the fastest, but you won't be the slowest because there are always walkers there. :)
  • jetergir20
    Options
    I have done a couple of 5k's. Let me see if I can help....

How does it work, exactly?
    Every race is different. Normally the ones that are running the race for medals are at the front of the pack. Everyone else just filters in behind them. Depending on the size of the race they ask you to line up according to speed. I normally find a comfortable spot in the crowd and go from there.

Is the warm-up factored into the race or do you somehow do that before hand? Should you warm up before you get to the racing site?
    The warming up factor is done by you beforehand. You will see people running up and down the road to warm up. GIve yourself plenty of time (like an hour) to pick up the packet (bib, time chip if they have it, and anything else they are giving away. I do the runs for the shirts!!)

I'm probably going to be driving about two hours to find a 5K to participate in, so that would be a big problem. Are the races usually run in a park or along a road?
    This depends I have done 5 5k's I believe. Two were through a park and the rest were on the road. If it is a road race often times people will line up along the road to cheer you on. If you are self conscience (like me) headphones drown out the noise.

What do I need to ask about that I don't even know enough to ask?
    The only thing helpful I would say is to find out if they have the miles marked. This way you can tell how you are doing overall (like if you are almost done!! lol) Some races restrict headphones but you can normally get away with it.

The most important part is to have FUN!! The 5K is about you and no one else. Set your own personal goal (mine is to run the entire thing fast or slow it doesn't matter as long as I run it)
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i use 2 volunteer at the races a lot. i.e. i wanted 2 do a triathlon. i volunteered at 2 triathlons & asked advice of the triathletes b4 & after the race. also a lot of volunteers there r triathletes & it's good askin them advice as well. the same case as in ur 5k. i'm sure there is 1 in ur area this wknd. just call the # of the race b/c they're always wantin volunteers. u'll need 2 show up 1-2hrs early b4 the race dependin on how big the race is (such as a 5k only or a marathon that has a 5k & half marathon attached).

i just did a half marathon this past wknd so this is my advice is:

a waterbottle at the least if u drink a lot of water when u normally run 3.1miles. there will b water stations along the 1. (at least 1) & they'll have water & somethin such as gatorade or powerade. it should b posted on their site which 1 they'll have & at which mile marker it'll b at. normally it'll b at mile 2 or the halfway mark. but u don't hafta drink anythin durin it if u don't wanna. it's all abt how u feel durin that time.

actually running shoes (not sneakers they'll make ur feet feel horrid)

DO NOT try anythin new durin the race or u may end up with a bad tummy reaction or chafin ur blisters dependin on what u try out.

don't worry abt placin. this is ur first race. ur goal is 2 just finish.

don't start out fast b/c u may not have anythin left at the end. u can always run faster durin it if u start slow.

if u have anymore questions just ask. i'm doin another half marathon in abt 1wk & another 1 in abt a month :noway: :tongue:

did u already enter 1? & if u did when is it?
  • sbs123
    sbs123 Posts: 2
    Options
    Congrats on deciding to run your first 5K! You will have a great time!
    My advice would be to get there early enough to factor in checking in and warming up before the race begins. You know your own pace, so try to get with other runners with similar pace at the starting line...don't get over excited and take off to quickly...you will tire yourself out too fast.
    The ones I have run have been along the highway and thru town. I haven't done many yet...so this is all my advice. Good Luck!!!

PS. I don't put on the t shirt they give me before the race, not till after I finish...not a big deal...just like my reward for finishing, lol!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first one two weeks from tomorrow. Eeeks! I'm lucky that my brother and niece have been doing them for years, so I'll just follow what they're doing.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    bump! what a great thread! i'm planning to run (jog) my first 5k on april 16th, and this is giving me some great advice! i never even thought to ask any of those questions, so thanks for posting, and good luck when you do yours!
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    don't 4get 2 eat the foods they offer at the end. they normally have fruit (usually bananas) & bagels. or just bring ur own. i just eat what's on hand there. at the last 1 i did they had a treat, peanut butter!! & i don't even LIKE peanut butter by itself. but it sure did taste good hahaha :tongue:
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    First, GOOD FOR YOU, that you found joy in running!! (I'm SO EXCITED for you! ) Looks like you already received lots of good advice here. So, I will just add the two most important factors for me when I'm running a marathon are REST & HYDRATION. I get my rest and increase my water intake the day before. I DO NOT run the day before. I need my rest!

GOOD LUCK!! And, I hope to see some pics of you crossing the finish line!!
  • toddgaines
    toddgaines Posts: 130
    Options
    I ran my first race last fall, and it was at a conservation area along a paved road. The one piece of advice I have it to scope out the location beforehand if at all possible. My first race was about an hour away so I didn't have that opportunity. When I got there I was shocked when I saw HILLS. The route was up and down the entire way. I had done all my training on flat ground so by the time I got to the top of the first hill I was a bit gassed, it's so much harder running uphill. So yeah, just be aware that the course might not be a perfectly flat surface.