Protein Supplement For Women....

Options
I would like to start drinking a protein shake or smoothie (whatever) after my workouts. I have been told to check into Casein, and I have been told to try Soy or Whey. With so many options, is there one that is better for women? I am also still trying to lose weight, and do not know how that will be affected.

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure this one out...
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Casein is a good protein to use right before you go to sleep because it's a slow digesting protein. Whey is optimal post-workout because it's the fastest digesting protein. The protein aids in muscle repair, so fast digesting means that muscle repair starts quickly and that's what you want.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    It would be a good idea to do some research on the matter. Most people take a whey protein shake. I like BSN Lean Dessert or BSN Syntha-6. They are both low calorie and have 21 grams of protein per scoop.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I've recently started using Scivation Chocolate Whey protein; about 104 calories for 22g protein, 1g sugar.
    And it's tastes really good! Some powders don't taste good unless mixed with milk or other things. Scivation is great just mixed with water. I sprinkle it in my greek yogurt & oatmeal too!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Casein and soy proteins are slowly released, whey is quickly released. Whey protein is best immediately after a workout because they protein just has to be absorbed, not digested. It gets to your muscles quickly to help them recover and repair themselves faster and it means they hold onto less water during this recovery. Casein and soy are better for meal replacements.

As long as I drink a whey protein shake after working out I'm never sore, even after lifting weights and I lift the heaviest I possibly can (for 20 reps) and I increase weight every week. Normally, I'd be incredibly sore after a workout, and I was when I was drinking a soy protein.

I'd go to a health food store to get a protein shake that's organic and doesn't use artificial sweeteners. They don't use genetically engineered ingredients and are healthier for you since they're all natural.
  • HelloKitty786
    HelloKitty786 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Casein is a slower digesting protein than whey and tastes a little different. If you're using it for post workout, go with whey. Optimum 100% Whey is the brand that I use right now. They have several different flavors and about 130 calories with 4 carbs, 24 g protein and I enjoy most of the flavors.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. What seem people think tastes great others say they hate. Pesonally I use a Whey Casein blend. SOy is for those that want to get away from Animal products, but be careful about it being Genetically Modified Soy. If you're worried about cholesterol some can be higher than others. I use Dymatize elite Gourmet, Milk Chocolate. Super delicious.

Also, buy online, sooo much cheaper than brick and mortar stores like GNC

Immediately post workout your body needs carbs to replace what your muscles just used as fuel. Your brain and muscles brun sugar not protein. About an hour after my workout and post high carb recovery drink, I chug some protein.
  • natterzdezign
    natterzdezign Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use Herbalife Formula 1 shake mix (it's got some protein and a bunch of minerals and nutrients that are intended for a meal) and then I add some Herbalife protein powder. With milk, some fruit and little flavoring, they actually taste good and fill me up! I was EXTREMELY skeptical cuz I thought I HAD to chew my food to be full. But these shakes are good and filling! The products are reasonably priced in comparison to other products on the market that you can buy in stores.

Hope that helps!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition 100% gold standard whey protein in the extreme chocolate milk flavor. Its yummy and doesn't have a funny texture so I'll drink it with water after a work out or with milk and peanut butter, and greek yogurt as a meal (tastes just like reeces pieces). I'm also losing weight while toning and this is helping a lot, especially since I'm a vegetarian and I need protein!
  • necki696
    necki696 Posts: 30
    Options
    I like the protein shot from vitamin world .... it's a fruit punch vial and has 49g of protein and about 200 cal in each one
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein Shake - Vanilla Creme - 12 oz, 1 bottle 110Cals, 4g carb, 1g fat, 23g protein, 2g fiber, 1g sugar

Best drink I can find yet! Nice to take to work :)
  • JudoJones
    JudoJones Posts: 54
    Options
    I learned a few things, thanks for posting everyone.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I use an isolate.

Dymatize ISO 100.

28g pure protein per scoop, no carbs, no other junk.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    This is what I will be buying when I finish my current tub of Optimum Natural Whey:

http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=14822

Now Foods Whey Protein Isolate - It's 100% pure whey protein isolate with no other ingredients. No flavors, no sweeteners, no colors, nothing. Since I add it to a flavorful fruit/skim milk smoothie, I don't need it to have any flavor, just need the whey post-workout! I make a 2:1 ratio carb/protein smoothie (about 75g carbs/36g protein) for breakfast right after I workout every day.
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have pure protein 100% whey vanilla cream- got it from target, and it's really good
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I am actually waiting for some new bars, to be delivered, by Luna! Luna has three new Protein bars, made specifically for women! Don't know if that is what you wanted to hear but I thought I would throw it out there.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I am actually waiting for some new bars, to be delivered, by Luna! Luna has three new Protein bars, made specifically for women! Don't know if that is what you wanted to hear but I thought I would throw it out there.

I will have to check them out! Thanks!
    O have decided to use Whey after a workout and Casein right before bed.