Is it better to overeat a lot on one day or overeat slightly

Options
I usually stay under my calories but today I've just completely blown it.

Replies

• TVDfan12
    TVDfan12 Posts: 11
    Options
    I cannot be 100% certain, but I think it would be better to overeat a lot on one day. I have to have one day every 2 or 3 weeks that I just eat whatever I want or else I would lose it. But as long as you are within your calorie limit the majority of the time I think you should be fine.
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Forget today focus on tomorrow.. one day aint gonna make you gain a few pounds.. we have all been there.. so dont let it stress you!!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I have heard that your body only has the capacity to ingest a certain amount of calories before the food is digested, therefore if you are going to go all out, really go all out. I don't think I believe this though. A calorie is a calorie....taking in and burning off.
  • jessemerson86
    jessemerson86 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I'd say it's better to overeat as little as possible. If you've already gone over today, try to find low-cal options for the rest of the day and workout so your net calories aren't so high.
  • jaysp87
    jaysp87 Posts: 32
    Options
    I usually stay under my calories but today I've just completely blown it.

I wouldn't say "forget the rest of the day anyway" but do not stress over going over today. You still have a good amount of hours left in the day depending where you live. Just try and make some healthy choices the rest of the day but do NOT go to bed hungry. If you go to bed hungry tomorrow will be worse.

One day at a time. One week at a time.
  • aeagles
    aeagles Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i'm no dietician, but from what i've seen and read, it is better to overeat a lot one day, i think. i say this because i stick to a very strict plan where i mix up calorie intake during the week and since doing that i have noticed a huge difference in weight loss! it's like clockwork now! i think this works because your body will wise up to what you're trying to do when you always eat the same number of calories or do the exact same workout for the same length of time and level of strenuousness and your body will resist loosing weight. so mixing it up is good!

my calorie plan on myfitnespal is 1200 cal/day so i very it up, but it averages out to about 1200 cal/day. for instance, i usually do something like this:

Mon - 1000
    Tues - 1400
    Wed - 1200
    Thurs - 1000
    Fri - 1400
    Sat and Sun - eat whatever i like!

it really works for me, so i hope that helps!
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all! Everyone's opinion is really helpful, thanks.
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Ha! I just had one of these days also, although despite eating two (!!) chocolate bars and a bag of walkers crisps I'm still under my daily calorie goal. It just means that I can't eat any dinner...during the summer I would get out on my bike a cycle for my supper but it's dark outside now.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Ha! I just had one of these days also, although despite eating two (!!) chocolate bars and a bag of walkers crisps I'm still under my daily calorie goal. It just means that I can't eat any dinner...during the summer I would get out on my bike a cycle for my supper but it's dark outside now.

I managed to eat a packet of Percy Pigs and Doritos on top of my rather unhealthy lunch and dinner!
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

I managed to eat a packet of Percy Pigs and Doritos on top of my rather unhealthy lunch and dinner!

In my defence, someone in the office thought it would be a nice Friday treat to get everyone a chocolate bar. I could have turned it down but that we give away my big secret of healthy eating. Then whilst cycling home in the wind & snow/sleet I thought.......meh! I've messed up already let's just go for it! Bought another chocolate bar and a bag of crisps from the shop which is about 20ft away from my front door.

My flat is in an awkward position within 30ft in all directions there is a Chinese Take Away (Kung Po Chicken w/fried rice), a General Store (chocoate, crisps, ice cream), an Indian Take Away (Chicken Tikka Biryani), a Pizza Place (Mixed Meat Calzone) and during the day there is now a Cafe which serves all sorts (thankfully I've not been there as it's only open whilst I'm at work)

Maybe it's time to find a new flat.....