Best Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I've been thinking about wearing a heart rate monitor so I can track my calories burned more accurately. I'd prefer the watch type without the chest strap, but have seen those get pretty pricy. Which ones do you guys have?

Replies

• CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    Polar FT7, I love it! It was a bit pricy, but if you can shop around and wait for a deal you may be able to get one a little cheaper.
  • caseymarie_S85
    Options
    Honestly? I wouldn't recommend anything except Polar. I've seen a coule of friends go for other HRM's that don't use chest straps and their watches come up with some insane number of calories burned in less than an hour. High numbers that I know are impossible. Polar, in my opinion, is more accurate. Also, there's the argument that Body Bugg's are more accurate than Polar & you can wear those on your upper arm instead. I would just take the time to research the options to see what you like the most.
  • LoganScottsMom
    LoganScottsMom Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Chest strap is not ideal, but my research told me it was the best kind. After a while, you really don't feel it. I have the Timex one -- mid-level. It was about $115 - $130. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It's a watch and HRM.
  • Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F6. It does have a chest strap, but I think that helps keep a more accurate reading of your heart rate. I seen pretty nice ones on Ebay and Amazon. I read alot of reviews too. I definately think Polar is a good way to go.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i have the sportline watch, no chest strap. i got it at wal-mart for $35. works great and mine is the breast cancer version so its a pretty pink and doesnt look masculine.
  • formytwins
    formytwins Posts: 106
    Options
    Polar FT7 is what I have and love it. I was told all Polars have chest straps? I did have one without the strap and it was not accurate at all. I spent a little more and got the Polar and I have had no problems. Good Luck! :bigsmile:
  • ohohraptor
    ohohraptor Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, I'll look into these. I can see how the chest strap would be more accurate. I've never seen the ones that go on your upper arm though, I could go for that. The chest strap probably wouldn't bother me when running or doing strength as much, but I do yoga a couple days a week and I could see that getting kind of annoying. :/
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    i know Chest straps doesn't sound ideal but those will give you the best readings possible... so i would definitely consider getting one with a chest strap and Polar is an awesome company!
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i have the polar ft4 - i got it on ebay brand new for $85 and free shipping! it's great i LOVE it!
  • formytwins
    formytwins Posts: 106
    Options
    Honestly? I wouldn't recommend anything except Polar. I've seen a coule of friends go for other HRM's that don't use chest straps and their watches come up with some insane number of calories burned in less than an hour. High numbers that I know are impossible. Polar, in my opinion, is more accurate. Also, there's the argument that Body Bugg's are more accurate than Polar & you can wear those on your upper arm instead. I would just take the time to research the options to see what you like the most.

I AGREE!!! I had a Sportsline from Wal-Mart with no chest strap and did not like it. It would say I burned over 1000 calories in less than 1 hour.....not. I kept trying it but it did not get better. Also the straps on the Polars are not uncomfortable at all. I can't even tell I have one on.....hope this helps!!!
  • soccerchick12
    Options
    I have the Polar F6. It's so simple to use and the chest strap doesn't bother me at all. I got the pink one-- very cute and feminine. A lot of gym exercise equipment is calibrated to recognize Polar HRMs, so you can see how hard you're working just by looking at the control panel-- no glancing down at your wrist!
  • ohohraptor
    ohohraptor Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Alright alright, maybe I should consider a chest strap then. Off to ebay to look for a polar. :) Thanks guys!
  • Pretty1one
    Pretty1one Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Years ago I used Polar F61, last weekend I got a BodyMedia Fit and there is no comparison.
    Specially because it keeps track of your calories even when u r sleeping as well as your sleeping pattern.

I got mine at Coscto with a $50 Mrebate so the final price was $149.99+taxes.
    It came also with a 12 months membership for free.
    Well worth the price for sure specially because I do not formally exercise everyday, I tend to go to sleep really late and wake up earlier and my old polar had some sort of interference signal when I was in my car or close to some electronics.
  • maxmum
    maxmum Posts: 12
    Options
    All the Garmin are good quality
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and I love it..and you do forget the chest strap is there....if you're constantly thinking about the chest strap....you're probably not working hard enough!! lol
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have the Timex Women's Ironman. It is fairly new and I love it so far. The chest strap is not bothersome to wear.
  • purplefreak60
    purplefreak60 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Years ago I used Polar F61, last weekend I got a BodyMedia Fit and there is no comparison.
    Specially because it keeps track of your calories even when u r sleeping as well as your sleeping pattern.

I got mine at Coscto with a $50 Mrebate so the final price was $149.99+taxes.
    It came also with a 12 months membership for free.
    Well worth the price for sure specially because I do not formally exercise everyday, I tend to go to sleep really late and wake up earlier and my old polar had some sort of interference signal when I was in my car or close to some electronics.

I LOVE my BodyMedia Fit. I wear it 24x7 (except in the shower). Worth every penny!
  • kt_rubino
    kt_rubino Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT4 on amazon for $60.65 and free shipping! Its not the prettiest watch as the color is called bronze and looks more nude but Im only wearnig it at the gym and it does its job.
  • cookingcriolla
    Options
    Hi, I was like you and didn't know what to get. Instead of getting something really expensive I figured I'd start off inexpensive and if I like it get a pricier one later. I got a Sportsline, it came with a watch and a chest strap. I got it Sears on clearance for $29.99!! I've only used the watch and once I figured out how to work it, it works great. I know I've read where some peoples rates were way lower than the exercise on MFP but mine were spot on, like within 5 calories.
  • catsdogsandkids
    catsdogsandkids Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would definitely skip the sportline wristwatch model. The heart rate works well but when doubling as a pedometer and comparing it to an omron that I also use, it always measures 2-3 times the steps that the omron does. While I would like to be working that hard, it is just not accurate. I can sneeze and my arm movement measures as 4 steps.