Help on carbs?

Options
I try very very hard to watch my carb intake, but I have no idea how many carbs I should be eating a day! I try to stay under 120 (I average around 112), but I still feel that is too much. Also, does it make a difference between what kind of carbs I eat? Like bread, oatmeal, cereal, and things like that. What are good and bad carbs?

Replies

• KCamberg
    KCamberg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is all about "good carbs" salads, veggies, brown rice, sweet potatoes. :)
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    Options
    I have done low carb for over a year now and if you are willing to do it their are some good and not so good carbs most on here will say all in moderation but I just cannot handle some carbs that's why I am low carb. If you are looking to lose carbs should be under 100 a day check out marks daily apple just google it he has a carb curve. As for types of carbs I may have a piece of bread a day but normally only carbs I eat are from vegetables and fruit and remember to minus your fiber from your carbs to get the net carb amount for the day. Radishes are the best veg ever for me low carb and they boost metabolism, I also eat lots of celery and broccoli I am never without it. Best of luck
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Complex carbs are key. Remember just your brain needs about 120 grams a day.

Bad carbs? White ones. White bread, enriched flour, candy, cookies
    Good? Oatmeal, whole grain/whole wheat/rye bread, brown rice, quinoa, flax, shredded wheat etc
    :flowerforyou:
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Well, you are still very young, and still in high school. You are not overweight (not sure how tall you are), so staying with 120 grams is fine probably more won't hurt. But like others have said, getting carbs from whole grains, veggies, fruit, ...the good stuff is a good idea.
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Complex carbs are key. Remember just your brain needs about 120 grams a day.

Bad carbs? White ones. White bread, enriched flour, candy, cookies
    Good? Oatmeal, whole grain/whole wheat/rye bread, brown rice, quinoa, flax, shredded wheat etc
    :flowerforyou:

+1

although I think 120g is a little high but realistically it depends entirely your body and activity level. Instead of worrying about carb count think about carb percentage, for example I'm currently working in a phase of weight loss and muscle gain so my daily goal is:

50% protein
    30% carb
    20% fat

Once I've reduced my body fat and added more lean mass I'm going to need more energy to sustain my activity level so I'll bump my carbs and reduce my proteins to something like 40/40/20 or even 30/50/20.

Complex carbs is key and just watch your energy levels, if they're low and effecting your workouts, bump it up, if you've got the energy but aren't losing the weight play with reducing kcals and adjusting carb percentage. That's what makes this site such a useful tool.