shin splints

Options
bas27
bas27 Posts: 61 Member
i've been doing the 30 days shred and my shins (especially my left) are killing me. i have worked out off and on for years and have pushed myself insanely and never had shin splints before. what can i do to help myself so i dont have to stop working out if thats at all possible?
TIA!

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    sit on the couch, foot of affected shin out, do the alphabet with your toes. Loosens everything up.... get better soon!

oh, and ice them...
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Ice them... everynight..

My trainer told me if I wanted I could also do 5 minutes ice, 5 minutes hot as you can stand water , alternate for 20 minutes
  • LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    sit on the couch, foot of affected shin out, do the alphabet with your toes. Loosens everything up.... get better soon!

oh, and ice them...

yeah i heard about this too!
  • Madmumlee
    Madmumlee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes, icing is great advice. Also rest, if you can. If not, alter your exercise so that it puts emphasis on something else - ie. do upper body for a couple of sessions before you go back to legs.

Shin splints are usually where the muscle has swollen inside the protective sheath from repeated use. The icing will help take down the swelling. 5 mins on, 5 mins off - as often as you can . Rest will obviously not add to the problem, and will probably stand you in good stead for future sessions.

Another 'trick' is to change your footware that you train in. If you have runners that you train in, maybe use squash shoes or bare feet. This will take the emphasis off the same areas when you workout.

Good luck!
  • bas27
    bas27 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    thank you for all the input! icing has already helped a lot since this post i cant even feel pain for now. knock on wood. i hope i can get through the 30 day shred i am on level one and have been stuck on it for some time now due to the fact that i want to commit to doing it for 30 days straight. i'll get to like 5 days and then miss a day so i start all over (i know it sounds silly but its something i truely want to accomplish for myself) again. i will try alternating shoes to and hopefully i can overcome this. again thank you!!!