Korean BBQ - What should I expect?

Options
Some friends and I decided to try Korean BBQ tonight. None of us has ever been, and I'm not sure what to expect. I wikipedia'd it, and I get the general concept: there is a grill in the middle of the table, and you grill your own meats (mostly ribs?) and vegetables on it. But then there are sides?

My question is this... What should I expect? Is there a lot of rice? Am I going to want to eat the rice, or can I enjoy the meal without it? How many calories should I expect to consume? (ie. How much should I work out before dinner so I don't go over my calories?) I've been doing this calories thing for a while, so I know not to eat a ton of rice or eat creamy stuff, but I'd love to have a little more info on what kind of foods will be available to me.

I'm lost.

I would appreciate any help!

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    super YUM but super S o d i u m ....

ENJOY IT!! Don't worry, there is tomorrow!! But if you want to take it slow, eat lots of veggies to fill you up more than the meat and rice.... but seriously... ENJOY IT!!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    It's a lot of beef, but it's probably going to be fatty. The rice my be the healthiest part. There is going to be sodium too. It's going to be delicious, but probably a lot of cals. Drink lots of water and enjoy it. You've never been so, try to enjoy the experience. It's a lot of fun. I'd google a menu, most restaurants are the same I'd imagine, (at least the ones I've been too).
  • RosalieCrain
    Options
    the meat is a sweet soy sauce based ... you could go with chicken bulgogi instead of beef. pleanty of veggies either pickled, fresh or kim chee (spicy seasoned ferment vegetables) style ... with almost any asian dish rice plays a big factor. I say just enjoy it, but don't over do it.
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Oh, Korean BBQ is delicious. Not so much rice as beef, chicken, shrimp and veggies. Each restaurant varies as to what is included and the kinds of sauces and condiments that they will provide, but it is possible to ask your server for unsauced meats and veggies to avoid the sodium if that concerns you.

Enjoy it.
  • flaquitadelafrontera
    Options
    1. Delicious! 2.High sodium 3. High fat cause of all the beef! 3. You can find yummy sides that are lower cal and spicy cucumber kimichi is one of my favorites! Advice: Drink lost of water before and after and just remember "all things in moderation" and enjoy!
  • angelarozmyn
    Options
    DELICIOUS! And there are usually quite a few very healthy options for meat...get the non-marinated options, WAY less sodium and much healthier. Rice is not actually as important here...use the pickled radishes to wrap the meat, along with kim chee and the other sides. Careful of the soups-very high sodium!
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks y'all!! This is SUPER helpful!

I'm usually good about planning out my meals at restaurants before I go, but I just didn't know what to expect here. Now I can make some informed decisions. I'm really excited to try it out!!