Any Juvenile Diabetics out there?

Options
I have had type 1 diabetes for 10 years now and I always noticed hours after I have exercised I drop to a low blood sugar.
Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yup! Really annoying...
  • Trozendaal
    Options
    My son(15) was diagnosed a year ago. He is active in sports, and if he has a low it is usually soon after, not hours later. Is this something you are just now having, or has it always been this way? Be careful.
  • JustKeepSwimming10
    Options
    FayeBaye is my friend and is also on MFP. She has had diabetes for 15+ years and is looking for support on MFP from other diabetics. She would love to hear from you and hopefully you both can help eachother out.

Good luck! -Cat
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Your friend is welcome to add me :)
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Type 1 since 12yrs old for coming up 15 years.
    It's the aerobic workouts that lower you faster(treadmill). Before my workout last night I was 134 and didn't check till morning and was 56. Good morning apple juice! The minute maid 12 ounces apple juice brings me up about 30 points and IRS only 140 cals.
    Anaerobic like lifting weights can give a slight raise for bs.
    I'm guessing you take shots. I'm on a pump so it makes it a little bit easier.

Add me too :)
  • AmyQwith2
    AmyQwith2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    not juvenile, but diagnosed at 25...insulin dependent....
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I have had type 1 diabetes for 10 years now and I always noticed hours after I have exercised I drop to a low blood sugar.
    Does this happen to anyone else?
    my son battles t1diabetes and had to carefully track his PT workouts and adjust his insulin accordingly.
    hopefully you are on an insulin pump, if so, you should (discuss w/endo first) lower your basal rate to around 80% one hour before, and up to 6 hours following any vigorous activity, and begin workouts only after blood sugar is a stable 200 mg/dL (checking a min. of every 30 minutes).

Protein significantly helps to keep him from crashing...it seems to pull those carbs out for a longer period of time.
    And yes, he can crash up to 8 hours later, so evening runs can lead to middle of the night extreme lows....very dangerous if you don't have someone pushing you to monitor closely, like mom!

Start logging and get to know how your body reacts to certain workouts. Take good care!