Felt ill during work out

Options
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this..I apologize if it isn't, i didn't see a fitting category. :(

But - I'm a little concerned. Last night I was doing the 30 day shred and after 20 minutes I suddenly felt very ill. I was dizzy, felt like I was going to pass out and nauseated. My heart rate was up pretty high and it did take a good while to come back to resting. But I was in the bathroom for awhile thinking I was going to throw up, but that didn't happen. Stomach subsided, yet I was still dizzy so I laid in bed for hours on end. I did not experience chest pains or numbness. I had water before and after I stopped working out.

Anyway, this is the first time I've ever experienced this and kind of afraid to jump back into it now. I have no insurance and my job cut back my hours so not enough money to see a doctor and i'm not going to the ER...the last time I went my bill was over $3k.

comments, advice, opinions...anyone experienced this before? What can I do to avoid it?

Replies

• Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    What did you eat before your workout? And I mean to include 3-4 hours before the workout.
  • genst
    genst Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How were you feeling before the workout? How are you feeling now?
    Honestly I think you should go and see a doctor, theres so many different reasons for dizziness.

Something similar happened to me last week where I did the shred after eating a big meal (an hour or so after) and i felt dizzy and terrible after.
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    That has actually happened to me before doing that 30 day shred workout too! Exact same symptoms, dizzy and really nauseated. The conclusion I came to was that you go from being on the ground, to standing back in such a quick motion and that can definitely cause you to be dizzy. The nausea I think was maybe from being TOO exerted. Jillian really kicks your *kitten* in that video. Make sure you are really hydrated too, as dehydration can cause nausea as well.

Hope that helped a bit, and hopefully you don't have to go through that again! Don't be afraid to jump back into it :)
  • chicnsweet83
    Options
    My son and I went to Sonic, but now that you mention it maybe what I ate was what caused it or part of it. I've been eating healthy but we splurged last night and I broke that healthy eating. I had a hickory jr. bacon cheeseburger, which now sounds disgusting to me; and ate half a box of small tator tots with a small cherry limeade. I didn't finish that either. And I did eat a few pieces of skittles a couple hours later.
  • mikepietz
    Options
    I agree with Vanishing, you may be pushing your body too hard, and not eating enough or drinking enough fluids. or not eating the right foods to be fueling your body. .
  • chicnsweet83
    Options
    How were you feeling before the workout? How are you feeling now?
    Honestly I think you should go and see a doctor, theres so many different reasons for dizziness.

Something similar happened to me last week where I did the shred after eating a big meal (an hour or so after) and i felt dizzy and terrible after.

Before the work out I was feeling alright, kind of tired.
  • jessicamichalski
    Options
    I felt this way about a week and a half ago..I just found out I am pregnant and that I was probably working too hard and not drinking enough water....This may or may not be your case lol..but it could be number of things...the room temp could have been too high...anything..
  • chicnsweet83
    Options
    I agree with Vanishing, you may be pushing your body too hard, and not eating enough or drinking enough fluids. or not eating the right foods to be fueling your body. .

What kind of foods should be eaten before doing the 30 day shred? I realy didn't think sonic food would cause me to feel so sick, as it's never happened before.
  • sylvia1970
    sylvia1970 Posts: 134
    Options
    sounds like a sugar rush to me.
  • chicnsweet83
    Options
    I felt this way about a week and a half ago..I just found out I am pregnant and that I was probably working too hard and not drinking enough water....This may or may not be your case lol..but it could be number of things...the room temp could have been too high...anything..

lol...well congrats? I hope I am not, I've had the copper iud since last November and don't feel pregnant. lol
  • ScatteredWriter
    Options
    Totally sounds like your dinner might have done you in! Fast food is hard on your body, especially if you're used to eating better. Add that to a lot of jumping around and up and down? I'm surprised you didn't barf on the floor!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    When I did 30DS for my first time (when i began at 195lbs) I felt the EXACT same way. I was unfit & this workout is NOT an easy workout!! My head was pounding, I had dizziness, I sat in the bathroom and nearly vomitted and was sick for HOURS after. Why? I was entirely out of shape. Because I had that happen, I took a step back and re-evaluated my workouts. I started with something a little more simple. Walks with my children, walks on the treadmill, wii fit exercise, biggest loser on wii fit etc. Once I had lost a couple pounds and felt "more fit" I attempted 30DS again and completed the entire 30 days.

I'm not saying it's the same for you, maybe you are fit ( I really don't know where you're at in your journey) but if you continue to do this workout, just take it down a notch or two. Do what you're comfortable with to the extent that you're comfortable with. Listen to your body for sure.
  • chicnsweet83
    Options
    Totally sounds like your dinner might have done you in! Fast food is hard on your body, especially if you're used to eating better. Add that to a lot of jumping around and up and down? I'm surprised you didn't barf on the floor!

Yeah there was alot of going up and down between cardio and strength. I really felt like I was going to barf, but I have somewhat learned to control that feeling over the years. I knew it was a bad idea to have sonic, but it was convient as we were out and about and not home for dinner. I won't be doing that again though!!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I know on Biggest Loser they thow up a lot in the first few weeks, lol. In your case I think it was the dinner before. I would recommend lean meats and both simple and complex carbs about 2 hours before an intense work out like that. Then some simple carbs just before your work out if your feeling tired or hungry. Lots of water before too.
  • chicnsweet83
    Options
    When I did 30DS for my first time (when i began at 195lbs) I felt the EXACT same way. I was unfit & this workout is NOT an easy workout!! My head was pounding, I had dizziness, I sat in the bathroom and nearly vomitted and was sick for HOURS after. Why? I was entirely out of shape. Because I had that happen, I took a step back and re-evaluated my workouts. I started with something a little more simple. Walks with my children, walks on the treadmill, wii fit exercise, biggest loser on wii fit etc. Once I had lost a couple pounds and felt "more fit" I attempted 30DS again and completed the entire 30 days.

I'm not saying it's the same for you, maybe you are fit ( I really don't know where you're at in your journey) but if you continue to do this workout, just take it down a notch or two. Do what you're comfortable with to the extent that you're comfortable with. Listen to your body for sure.

Well, I am out of shape but I've been going to the gym for over a month now. Last night was day 3 of the shred and the first two times I didn't feel horrible. I didn't think I was pushing myself too hard, but last night I was so exhausted I had to slow down and catch my breathe a few times during the work out. Maybe it's just a combination of the video kicking me in and the nasty food I ate.
  • chicnsweet83
    Options
    Thank you all for your opinions! Much appreciated! And - since many of you experienced the same symptoms on the same work out, I'm going to take it as the food I ate combined with the fast pace of the work out. I won't be eating any fast food before I work out again!! I'm even still feeling a bit sick today, think i will take a break from the Shred and let my digestive system get rid of that nasty food. Thanks again all!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options

Well, I am out of shape but I've been going to the gym for over a month now. Last night was day 3 of the shred and the first two times I didn't feel horrible. I didn't think I was pushing myself too hard, but last night I was so exhausted I had to slow down and catch my breathe a few times during the work out. Maybe it's just a combination of the video kicking me in and the nasty food I ate.

Since I don't know you, I can't comment on your fitness level, but realize that one month or even 3 months working out will not get a person into shape. It took years to get in bad shape and it will take a while to get into good shape. This may be something more, but my guess is it is overexertion even though you didn't have it the first two days. I say that because by day 3 you would likely be getting more confident with the moves of the exercise program. That would mean you would be able to push harder than you did when it was completely new to you. If that was the case, you might have worked substantially harder for that particular workout, and you body may not have been ready for it. Add the food you consumed not being your normal sort of food, and you have all the makings of exactly what happened to you.

Watch yourself, and see how things go in the next days. Try the workout, but watch your HRM carefully and if your heart rate starts to go really high and stay there, stop before you feel dizzy and nauseous and while you keep moving do so at a much less intense pace like walking on the spot. If you are feeling dizzy and nauseous and your heart rate is up, lie down as you heart rate will come down faster that way.

As mentioned, you may want to try less intense workouts for a while yet to get yourself in shape. I know the first time I tired Insanity, I found it beyond difficult. I put it on the shelf a couple of months more and continued with Tae Bo and the next time I tried it I was much more capable of doing it. My body just needed the time, and I needed to learn the signs I was over doing it.

Normally I would suggest seeing your doc, but without health insurance and all the rest you can try this first.
  • chicnsweet83
    Options

Since I don't know you, I can't comment on your fitness level, but realize that one month or even 3 months working out will not get a person into shape. It took years to get in bad shape and it will take a while to get into good shape. This may be something more, but my guess is it is overexertion even though you didn't have it the first two days. I say that because by day 3 you would likely be getting more confident with the moves of the exercise program. That would mean you would be able to push harder than you did when it was completely new to you. If that was the case, you might have worked substantially harder for that particular workout, and you body may not have been ready for it. Add the food you consumed not being your normal sort of food, and you have all the makings of exactly what happened to you.

Watch yourself, and see how things go in the next days. Try the workout, but watch your HRM carefully and if your heart rate starts to go really high and stay there, stop before you feel dizzy and nauseous and while you keep moving do so at a much less intense pace like walking on the spot. If you are feeling dizzy and nauseous and your heart rate is up, lie down as you heart rate will come down faster that way.

As mentioned, you may want to try less intense workouts for a while yet to get yourself in shape. I know the first time I tired Insanity, I found it beyond difficult. I put it on the shelf a couple of months more and continued with Tae Bo and the next time I tried it I was much more capable of doing it. My body just needed the time, and I needed to learn the signs I was over doing it.

Normally I would suggest seeing your doc, but without health insurance and all the rest you can try this first.

Thanks Jim, what you said made perfect sense. I did feel better about the work outs and on some I had pushed myself a bit harder. I'll just take it much easier and I don't have a HRM yet, but I will go buy one today. My heart rate isn't supposed to be over 192. I know when I do treadmill running it stays around 180. And if I feel sick i'll just lie down and stop working out. Thanks for the advice! :)