"Sedentary" vs "Lightly Active"

Options
Hey all,

When I first set my goals on here, I set my current activity level to "Sedentary", on account of the fact that I'm not a mailman or nurse, and do spend a few hours per day sitting down at a desk. However, I work at a drop in centre with kids and I also spend some time on my feet while at work, just walking around and checking out what everyone is up to.

I have been on this site for 5 weeks, dropped 4 pounds in the first week and nothing since (though I have lost 7 inches overall). I'm wondering if my recommended calories are too low.. though with "lightly active" I'm only given an extra 120 cals a day!

What do you think determines a "lightly active" lifestyle?

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I agree that there seems to me a big gap between sedentary and lightly active in the descriptions but not in the calories. I would think a nurse or a mail man walk A LOT!
  • living_4_me
    Options
    I would think that sedentary would be someone with an office job who is at a computer most of the day and then spends the evenings couch surfing - with just minor activities like a few household chores and what not.

I think that a child care worker likely falls under 'lightly active'.

That's my opinion!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    with a small amount of weight to lose, weight loss will ultimately be very slow anyway. What is your maintenance calories?
  • Alison_84
    Alison_84 Posts: 86
    Options
    Thanks for the responses :)

SHBoss: My maintenance calories with "Sedentary" was 1850, with "Lightly Active" it's 1970
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thanks for the responses :)

SHBoss: My maintenance calories with "Sedentary" was 1850, with "Lightly Active" it's 1970

ok, and what did you set your goal to? I mean for weekly weight loss. Sorry, should have asked that at the same time.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It confuses me too, because I do have a sedentary lifestyle for the most part. I stay at home daily. Then again, I work out 5 days a week so I put it down as lightly active because of that, but I have no idea if it's right...I'm going with it though.
  • mblanch
    mblanch Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I started off as sedentary then changed to lightly active.

I read a post on here (poss from the creator I think) that made me change my mind.I have an office job but I walk to the bus stop (15mins) then get a bus then have a 15 minute walk to work. sometimes I repeat that on the way home, other times I get a lift.

AsI don't have a car I have to walk everywhere (for example to the supermarket) I therefore decided I was lightly active compared to someone that would drive to work.

I think the post described someone as lightly active if they walk for a total of at least 30 mins (cumulative) in a day.
  • Alison_84
    Options
    mblanch: Thanks! That's a good guideline to go by... and I definitely think I walk at least 30 mins in total during a regular workday....

SHBoss: I have my calories set to lose 1 pound per week
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    mblanch: Thanks! That's a good guideline to go by... and I definitely think I walk at least 30 mins in total during a regular workday....

SHBoss: I have my calories set to lose 1 pound per week

ok so, first let me say that this is all my opinion, that said, 1 lb a week is to much IMHO for you. As you are only looking to lose around 15 lbs, that's a rather large deficit. It's going to be difficult to sustain. In any case, you must be very careful to eat back exercise calories.

I would say that you're probably somewhere between lightly active and sedentary if you had to ask. The only way to really know for sure is to have your metabolic rate tested in a lab setting, or maybe use one of the body bugg type devices to track your daily energy. Otherwise it's basically a set and tweak situation. By that I mean, set your deficit, give it a month or so, examine your results and tweak to adjust it.

I did create this post, which is a rough guide to calorie deficits and has an activity level helper in there, but it's really rough, so take it for what it's worth.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • Alison_84
    Options
    Hey, thanks for that. My BMI is in the healthy range already so I guess I'm one of the "confusing" ones lol.

If I change my goal to 1/2 pound a week, MFP gives me 1710 calories... a big difference from even 1470! Undereating is *NOT* my problem (LOL!!) so if I can go to 1710 and still lose, slowly as it may be... BONUS! Your post has convinced me to focus more on weight training and toning this month. Thanks again :)