Hi I'm new. I'm also trying to recover from anorexia, is the

Options
I got recommended this to keep track of my daily intake. I decided that last week that eating just 500 calories a day just isn't good enough & I can't waste any more time with anorexia. I'm struggling with my intake a bit. It feels like I've eaten way too much but at the end of the day it's still not enough. According to this, I need to eat 2110 cals but struggle. Apparently today I have 964 but I feel like I'll explode if I eat any more. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Take it slowly. If you're used to eating only 500 calories, you'll need some time to adjust to eating more. Can you try adding maybe 50 calories each day? Or if that's too much too fast, try adding 50 calories every two days.

Good for you for making this change. Be patient with yourself. Do you have a real-life support system? Does your family know what's going on? Anybody you can count on to help you?
  • babystepstorecovery
    Options
    I've tried recovery countless times but I'm being seriously about it this time. What I've learnt through past tries that I need to leave numbers & time out of it. I need to learn to be patient with myself, as you said. I rush myself sometimes. If I have one good day I get hurt easily if the next day isn't.
    Thank you for your wonderful suggestions <3.
    I've been going to a clinic for just over a year, I have a counsellor, therapist, dietitian & psychiatrist but because I have to share them with the rest of the county, it's hard to see them. I see my counsellor at least twice a month though.
    My family sort of sweep it under the carpet. It's hard enough as it is that my father is also plagued with mental disorders. The only support I really have is from certain friends & my boyfriend, however he's starting to lose hope, that is why I'm making the extra effort now!
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    good luck :)

How did you get the number over 2000? Have you set your goal to gaining? I struggle too with getting all my calories in, it just feels too much. You could try protein shakes made with milk to get a few more in?
  • mhowe86
    mhowe86 Posts: 37
    Options
    I was there once too... it takes time. If you break it up and try to spread your calories out then you can manage. Good luck!
  • babystepstorecovery
    Options
    good luck :)

How did you get the number over 2000? Have you set your goal to gaining? I struggle too with getting all my calories in, it just feels too much. You could try protein shakes made with milk to get a few more in?

Yeah I set my goal to gaining, this website just gave me the goal. I have tried protein shakes in the past but I just can't stand them. I've had Fortisip prescribed by the doctor in the past but I ended up wasting them by pouring them down the drain & lied about taking them :/
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I should set my goal to gaining too but i struggle with eating my maintaince cals
  • ajbeans
    Options
    I'm glad you're in treatment. It sounds like you really want to get better, and that's the most important first step. Nobody else can fix us when we're sick unless we want to get better. Lean on your friends, the ones who have been with you through thick and thin. If your family can't be your support, let your friends be it.

If you're having a hard time eating enough calories because you simply feel full, try going for higher-calorie foods until your body adjusts to the higher intake.

I don't have experience with anorexia, but I have lived with depression since I was a child. If bad days trip you up, try writing down positive affirmations and leaving them where you can see them. "I am beautiful. I am worthwhile. I am loved." When you hear the anorexia monster telling you negative things, fight back and tell yourself the positive truth, and then write it down. Writing down the positives will help you focus on them and help keep you going, and then when you have a bad day (which we all do!) you'll have a step up to get you going again. :)
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Take it slow. Consciously decide to have a few higher-fat foods in the pantry like natural peanut butter. Learn to cook for yourself. Use good fats, like olive oil, nuts, avocados.

Don't forget to exercise though. Some weight training will help your body regain strength and muscle mass. Take it easy and work your way up.

And if you live in a country where a *green* lifestyle is legal, the munchies are a super way to pack on a few pounds :laugh:
  • babystepstorecovery
    Options
    I'm glad you're in treatment. It sounds like you really want to get better, and that's the most important first step. Nobody else can fix us when we're sick unless we want to get better. Lean on your friends, the ones who have been with you through thick and thin. If your family can't be your support, let your friends be it.

If you're having a hard time eating enough calories because you simply feel full, try going for higher-calorie foods until your body adjusts to the higher intake.

I don't have experience with anorexia, but I have lived with depression since I was a child. If bad days trip you up, try writing down positive affirmations and leaving them where you can see them. "I am beautiful. I am worthwhile. I am loved." When you hear the anorexia monster telling you negative things, fight back and tell yourself the positive truth, and then write it down. Writing down the positives will help you focus on them and help keep you going, and then when you have a bad day (which we all do!) you'll have a step up to get you going again. :)

For someone who hasn't had anorexia you really know what you are talking about. Thank you for your patience, it's not often I have people who are patient & understanding with me. I just always get 'well just eat more!'
    I want to get better but sometimes it's easy to forget why. Anorexia is so comforting, it's like being on alien land trying to recover.
    I have wonderful friends to lean on but it just upsets me that I can't go to my family. I think my mother is still in denial about it :/. She sees my habits as being lazy. I guess she's only trying to protect herself from the harsh reality.
    I'm sad to hear about your depression, anorexia has triggered depression in me so I feel for you.
    I write a lot I have a blog which I've had for half a year, I've come a long way & have plenty of support off there :)
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you♥
  • ajbeans
    Options
    For someone who hasn't had anorexia you really know what you are talking about. Thank you for your patience, it's not often I have people who are patient & understanding with me. I just always get 'well just eat more!'
    I want to get better but sometimes it's easy to forget why. Anorexia is so comforting, it's like being on alien land trying to recover.
    I have wonderful friends to lean on but it just upsets me that I can't go to my family. I think my mother is still in denial about it :/. She sees my habits as being lazy. I guess she's only trying to protect herself from the harsh reality.
    I'm sad to hear about your depression, anorexia has triggered depression in me so I feel for you.
    I write a lot I have a blog which I've had for half a year, I've come a long way & have plenty of support off there :)

I think most people don't understand mental illnesses at all. If they can't see a physical symptom like a rash or a fever, it must not be real. And then I think too that some people worry that it's contagious or something. Try not to be too hard on people that don't get it -- they're trying to cope with life as best they can, just like we are. You'll get through this, with or without their help. You're strong enough. :)
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

The idea of positive affirmations is HUGE! I myself haven't experienced anything like this, but a friend in college did. Every Monday she would take a dry erase marker and write down a few positive affirmations on her bathroom mirror. She decorated it and doodled all over one edge of the mirror. That way, it was different every week, fun to look at, and in a place where she'd always see it. That way, instead of being critical of herself when she looked in the mirror, she was thinking positive things.

Best of luck to you, you will find great support here!
  • babystepstorecovery
    Options

I think most people don't understand mental illnesses at all. If they can't see a physical symptom like a rash or a fever, it must not be real. And then I think too that some people worry that it's contagious or something. Try not to be too hard on people that don't get it -- they're trying to cope with life as best they can, just like we are. You'll get through this, with or without their help. You're strong enough. :)
    It's one of those things where you can only understand you're in it. Anorexia is badly stereotyped by the media. A lot of people think it's just spoilt girls attention seeking where it's far from it. Before I became ill, I was naturally underweight & once did want to put on weight because I got picked on so much in school for it. Why would I want to lose weight? You get caught up in everything & before you know it bang, you're anorexic. Thank you, you're so very kind!
  • andream024
    Options
    Eat small meals frequently throughout the day. Try to stay away from refined carbs because they give you a heaviness feeling in your stomach. Eat lots of fruits, vegetables, and I've found Carnation Instant Breakfast is a good way to get vitamins and some calories. Good luck! I was there once too. Stay strong in your recovery. You can do it. If you need anything let me know!
  • mayana2002
    Options
    First of all I am very happy you are here with us!
    Our mind is complicated and we use food to try to balance our feelings.
    I have many friends who had anorexia. I know how you feel!
    Very soon you will be on track to be healthier and live better! You and all your family!
    Life was waiting for you to grab it and you did!!
    Your body will adjust slowly, each day will be a victory!
    Hope you feel better soon and if you need anything count on me dear!
    That is a way out of it and you are doing great! Keep it up and soon you will see results!
    Eat nuts if you like them, they are good for you, small and high in calories.
    Have a great day
  • wintervixen78
    wintervixen78 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Well done for taking this step! Perhaps try eating 6 small meals instead of 3 large meals and snacks. Also eat meals that are naturally high in calories, avocado, peanut butter, bananas, nuts, full fat milk and cheese etc Protein and soups help make you feel fuller for longer, so maybe eat more solid meals and increase the carb portion. I hope this helps.
  • kayla0134
    Options
    Hi, I too was recommended to this in order to keep up with what I am eating to make sure I am eating enough. And also, it has been difficult to get in all of the calories it says I need to eat. I have been trying to eat them all because I want to do all I can to move on from this part of my life. My goal has been to eat at least most of the calories it says to eat and focus on feeling alright by eating them, then the next day try to eat a few more until I reach the goal it has set for me. I hope you are able to use this as a good tool to help you recover!
  • elizabethl27
    elizabethl27 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    ]
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    ell I to suffer with anorexia and honestly I have had my ED for over 20 years..in and out of treatment. HAve you ever thought about treatment. My dietician told me of this site to count my cals...not sure if it was good or triggering yet..but tryig tto stay out of the hospital. Spent the summer there and I need to move on with my life. Good luck to you!
  • katyygirll
    Options
    i don't have any experience with eating disorders either, but i think it's so good that you're trying to make a change for the better. maybe if you can trick yourself into eating the same size meals you have been eating but putting some higher calorie foods in with it. just applaud any small step you make instead of seeing only bad things! if you need any support feel free =]
    -K