Hi hi hi :)

Options
I did actually just post this on my blog but it's also my 'why i need to lose weight' story too so I thought I'd post it here too... :)

Yesterday was a real turning point for me, I had my first dentist appointment since 2006 and the news wasn't good. Basically I've rotted my teeth away to the extent that I now have to have one removed and at least 8 filled. The culprit? Sugar. Shocking I know...

So I'm 20 years old and my addiction to chocolate, sweets, cola, alcopops and the like has given me the teeth of a 60 year old. Or so my dentist says.

Considering the fact that I'd rather not have false teeth by the age of 25 I've decided to cut out sugar from my diet. My best friend Sarah has been trying to get me to lose weight with her for a couple of weeks but I've been putting it off and off because I feel like I don't have the willpower to stick at it. Sarah then pointed out to me that I've managed to give up smoking pretty easily so I obviously do have some willpower!

Currently weighing in at just under 300lbs it seems that the situation with my teeth has caused me to really think about just how badly my diet is affecting my body and quality of life. Not only has it increased my waistline up to a size 24 (UK) but now it's affecting my smile, the only thing I actually like about my body.

I really am determined now, and the best part is I know my best friend is right behind me, as I am for her. Just a phonecall away when I'm staring a Mars bar in the face.

Most difficult thing to give up is probably going to be Coca Cola and tea. I'd get through at least 1.5l of coke a day. It's only been about 2 days since I last had it but I'm already getting withdrawal shakes! Not good at all. And I'm going to miss my cups of tea, tea without sugar just isn't the same! But if it means I get to keep my teeth then it's worth it!

So my first goal is going to be my holiday in June, I really want to lose at least 2 stone by then. I have just over 3 months to do that in which is completely acheivable for me.

I'm actually excited for the future now.

- Beccy ♥

Replies

• sarahjrrr_
    Options
    (: yayayay.
    Wahhh.
    Love you.
  • HShenkle74
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story.
    I was hooked on diet pepsi/coke for years....I had to ween myself off of that (took about a month) and now I'm drinking unsweetened homeade iced tea - - not good I know but it's a start to ween from that to drink more water.
    I have always been told "baby steps" - - it's all about change and positive reinforcement.
    Good luck and stick to it!! ;-)
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • Jami22
    Jami22 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Giving up Dr. Peppers has been the hardest thing so far!! But I'm past the headaches and have had nothing besides water since Sunday! That's big time for me because I'm not a huge water fan. But counting calories makes it impossible to drink soda's and still eat!! :O) I had to give up one of the other and food won out.
    Good luck with your journey!
  • anakinlover
    anakinlover Posts: 109
    Options
    I think its great that you shared such a personal post! Best of luck on your fitness journey. How lucky you are to have your best friend by your side. You can do it!
    :glasses:
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! Thank you for sharing your story! :flowerforyou:
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome here. This site is brilliant. It will not only help you to count calories, but it will make you see just how bad some foods are. Good luck on your journey and if you want friends on same time zone, you can add me. I've already lost 23 pounds with MFP and if I can do it, everyone can.