cheat days

Options
I've been changing my life for the last 13mos and had success. That said, its been over the last two weeks that I have been super conscious about the food that I am eating. I seeing people talking about having cheat days and such but I'm undecided.

Part of me would really like to go ahead and have a day where I was carefree about it. I'm out tomorrow with my best mate and would love to just order what I would like instead of what I should have. But part of me says that eating that way is what got me into this problem that I am fixing now. I'm making tomorrow a gym day (and perhaps a super gym day!) but not sure about the eating.

I don't know as to whether I am looking for advice here or just ranting my insecurities.....:ohwell:

Replies

• mrsbarraza23
    Options
    I've deffinately had my cheat days but it is completely up to you.. Feeling guilty is not a good feeling. If you do cheat just make sure you have the will power not to keep doing it and go back to eating healthy like you have been. Congrats on the 74 lb loss!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    i think we all struggle with this - but in reality, (IMO) I would go ahead and have something you enjoy. I really believe that having a cheat meal or two during the week is all good - and needed for long term success. I'm not saying go and consume 5000 cals for dinner - but go out, have a glass or two of wine and some good food - especially with your good mate.

workout hard in the morning and enjoy the dinner!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    PS - and don't feel guilty after!
  • mfiggs
    mfiggs Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I used to participate in cheat days myself...mine would be every Sunday to eat my mother-in-law's delicious Sunday dinner and not care how much I ate or what I ate. I don't do it anymore because it makes me feel really guilty and it is not worth that. So, I still eat dinner with my family on Sunday but I eat everything in moderation so I do not feel bad about it!
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I believe if you know you can get right back on board and follow your routine like you were before taking a day off, then go for it every once in awhile as a treat. But if your like me that doesn't trust myself due to my past dieting experience. I won't allow myself that leway.. No cookies, desserts, or anything of that kind. But I really think everyone should reward themselves with some small out of the ordinary thing..Good Luck..
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I used to call them cheats but now they are just part of my life. I never cheat for a whole day anyhow, more like one meal (usually a nice dinner out or a wedding etc). If I'm good 99% of the time those days don't really matter. They are part of my life and I won't skip things I LOVE LOVE LOVE to eat (not just junk but really good foods). I also find that I choose smarter now than I would have 7 months ago anyhow :D
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I personally don't believe in cheat days. I feel like if you're changing your lifestyle there's no room for cheat days. That being said, If I go out for dinner with my boyfriend or go out with my friends, I may go alittle overboard but I don't blow the whole day. I try to make the best choices I can given the circumstances and I don't dwell on it.
  • Pita0224
    Pita0224 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There will be a lot of people that will respond to this with different feelings and emotions in regards to it. When I lost weight before my wedding, every Sunday was cheat day. I was meticulous during the week, worked out on my cheat day but I cheated very extreme. Then the next day I started again with being meticulous.. etc. It didn't affect my weight loss as I still lost steadily, however eventually I caught on to how crappy it made me feel from the sugars/carbs etc. With where I am at now, I can say that cheating would not be the same. I would not be able to do it and pick up the next day with no guilt and I would struggle to go back to my diet. If you feel like you could pick up and be the same the next day with no remorse, then give yourself a break and enjoy the day.
  • rbrducky
    rbrducky Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's alright to have cheat days as long as you don't get too carried away, otherwise the rabbit food starts to get old and you crave the not so good stuff even more! Once in a blue moon(I know people who allow once a month and it seems to work out well for them still) is alright to do as long as you make up for it in the gym, or at least that's my philosophy. :)
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    if you think you can handle a "cheat" day then i say go for it but be honest with yourself. I know that if i have one cheat day I will lack the will power to stop and it will be more like a binge until i cant walk day. If I cheat i tend to fall back into old BAD habits. Maybe after i have been eating healthy and properly for as long as you i might be able too but for right now I am struggling and know i cant.

idk if this helped but if you are honest with yourself and know your body then i think you will know whether you can or not. Good luck!
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Don't call it a cheat day. If you are going out and want to stray for 1 meal go for it. What has worked for me is if I know I'm going to do that then I will intentionally eat light most of the day and make sure I get a good workout in to offset it. It takes 3500 calories to equal 1 pound so if you go over 1,000 even 2,000 calories it really is no big deal. You are in control of yourself, but this isn't a diet it is a lifestyle change. One meal will not wreck you. Have fun, but remember how far you have come and what your goals are.
  • Bobcgirl8
    Bobcgirl8 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I go full force until something happens, like a baby shower weekend, where I cheat horribly. Then I go again full force. I try not to make cheat days, but if they happen, I chalk them up as too late to fix and go on trying to be better. I think eventually even those cheat days will be waaaay better than my good days when I wasn't looking at any of my calories. I think cheating is going to happen, but we have to be careful about how often and how bad they are. I'm not an angel and I decided not to weigh this week for fear of what I would find after my cheat weekend ;)
  • dababers
    dababers Posts: 135
    Options
    I don't really subscribe to the concept of a cheat day. It can really wreck your plan if you are not careful or have a tendancy to binge. There is, however, no problem with allowing a special treat once in a while. One meal off the plan won't destroy you. However the concept that "this is a cheat day" can cause some people to lose control and go nuts. Don't feel guilty about treating yourself. Yes, this is a lifestyle change, but how realistic is it to tell yourself you're never gonna have that favorite thing ever again because it doesn't fit into your meal plan? It sets you up for failure and/or quitting. Good luck with you day with your best mate. Good luck on your plan....stay focused!
  • rachaels7
    rachaels7 Posts: 20
    Options
    I think it's fine to let go sometimes. Since you've been watching what you've been eating anyway, you know which foods are higher in calories and which ones aren't. It's ok to splurge once in a while and if you don't totally feel like you want to have a whole day of carefree eating, then just let go with one meal and then get back on track. I'm going to splurge at Cheddar's tonight and will go back to normal tomorrow. :)
  • sexyharleymama
    Options
    First off, great job on the success you have made so far!!! Awesome!!!!

For me, you can't be perfect everyday. You just need to have more good days than bad. If you want to eat a few more calories, or eat something more savory:
    1. Yes, plan ahead and get a god workout in.
    2. Watch your calories throughout the day, and even the day before and the day after.
    3. Only eat half of what you order.
    4. Share a meal.

Just some suggestions that worked for me. Everything in moderation :happy:
  • smorton65
    Options
    One cheat day a week is good. It makes all the other days easier to tolerate and exercising more rewarding. Not enjoying what you eat means you won't stay on the diet. So make it fun, and be creative, but healthy, with the rest of the weeks food.:love:
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    sometimes for my own mental health, i need a cheat day... besides it isn't a bad idea to confuse your metabolism a little. i don't have a cheat day every week & most of the time, i try to balance it out by adding an extra workout another day & a few days being a little under my calorie goals (so i have extra cals to bank) & i spend my cheat days with my bf- doing a nice dinner out & ordering whatever i feel like or for girls nights out, when there is lots of alcohol &/or cheesecake/ice cream involved :o) i still log it the best i can, but i don't let myself stress over it. do what you think is best for you.
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Cheat days, makes you go, hmmm.... Many overweight people, not all, have food addictions. I can't imagine any other addiction where you would consider having cheat days: drugs, alcohol, etc. I arrived at this point of my life through a journey of various addictions, drugs, food, etc. So I personally don't consider cheat days. I committed to a lifestyle change and for me that's everyday.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i have a cheat meal, not so much day. if i know im going out later, last night for example for my vegan pizza, i eat better throughout the day and exercise a bit more, that way i dont feel guilty at all. we all have them, but imo a cheat day blows everything youve done throughout the week.
  • anakinlover
    anakinlover Posts: 109
    Options
    First of all, many congrats on how far you've come already! I never had cheat days per se....I just made up my mind that it is simply not realistic of me to never expect to eat chocolate, chips, cake, ice cream etc...ever again. I diligently work at my fitness goals, but I do not constantly deprive myself of the things I really love. I enjoy them in moderation of course, but this way there is no guilt involved. You are a success, which came from hard work and discipline. You obviously know what you're doing. Do what feels good to you. Good luck on the rest of your fitness journey.
    :flowerforyou: