Fast food question...

Options
Since it is Lent and a Friday...that means no meat for us tonight. I really want Long John Silvers tonight. So here I am looking at the nutritional information and wondering what i can have that is decent and won't bog down my caloric intake.

Even though I know that most of the items at Long John Silvers are not the healthiest food, I did fond that if I order certain foods, I will be ok with my calorie count.

Does anyone else check the menus to see what foods will not mess with your caloric intake?

Replies

• KWSR16
    KWSR16 Posts: 91
    Options
    ALL THE TIME!!! lol I have to check everything online before i go out anywhere. Otherwise who KNOWS how many calories/sodium/fat is in something you eat that you THINK is going to be healthy... :embarassed:
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i always do & drive my mom & bf crazy when we're at restaurants & i pull out my iphone to log before i order, so i don't accidentally order something that sounds healthy, just to get home & see it isn't lol :o) enjoy your LJS
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    you could always make friday your CHEAT day....you are allowed one day a week to eat the normal cals, your BMR (located under tools) ..or you could eat an enourmous amount of salad and veggies all day in order to leave ton of cals for LJS
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    All the time! I think in terms of how many calories it'll "cost" me to eat something then make the best choices from there.
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    My poor husband and the poor waiter had to wait for me to decide what I was going to have for dinner once while we were out. I probably spent about 20 minutes online at a restaurant's pathetic nutritional value chart before I finally decided something that would do!
  • LacieVanMetre
    Options
    I always check ahead online before going out to eat. And for those times when I am with friends or family I know what I can eat at 3 major fast food places and not feel bad afterwords. They don't have to try and work around my diet, and I don't even have to bring it up.
  • Kaetheb
    Kaetheb Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I look at calories AND portions. And it's not just about calories, but strategies as well, and it never hurts to have a few.

I've had the server bring me a to-go container with my meal, so I can set aside a portion before I even start eating. Just recently I went out with friends to a restaurant that simply refuses to post nutrition information (I *rarely* go to those, but it was a social occasion). When my fish entree arrived, it was clearly too big. Since a protein serving is a deck of cards (or the palm of my hand), that's all of it that I ate. I ordered water with my mojito and an extra glass. By watering down my drink with water or seltzer - they're usually too strong anyway - I can make it last all through the meal.

I also do a mind trick where I tell myself it's okay to not eat it all or take it home. I'm not "wasting food" because I'm also paying for the experience, for not cooking, and for not cleaning up afterwards.

I also had a salad and vegetables, THOROUGHLY enjoyed dessert, and *still* lost weight that week!
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I definitely do because my boyfriend and his current living situation we eat fast food every night I am with him. Even with this, the choices I have made have never made me gain any weight since I have been maintaining. I was also still losing perfectly before as well.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I love the iPhone application -- I use it all of the time before I order.