I have no clue how many calories are in some foods

Options
Today I had lunch in a non-chain restaurant, so I couldn't look up any of their items online anywhere. They didn't give any info at all on how many ounces I was getting of this particular food either. So I don't really know how to properly log this meal in today's diary. I had a grilled tuna wrap, and although I can look up how many calories are in grilled tuna, I have no clue how many ounces I had. The only thing I could think of was to overestimate what I GUESSED the calories were... so that's what I did. But really I could be way under on my estimate. It is hard to guess how many calories are in any given food.

Have any of you run into this problem? What do you do about it?

Replies

• Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem and to be honest i don't bother logging it. I make sure i'm good the rest of the day and hope for the best. If the info isn't there, it isn't there.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I've had to guess on foods as well. I overestimate serving sizes, and try to list every ingredient that was in the food that was consumed.
  • sylvia1970
    sylvia1970 Posts: 134
    Options
    did it involve cheese or other items than you can look up? Then I would add an extra 100cals for any oils or butters they've used. Defo over estimate

then when you lose weight you'll feel great
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    i usually just guess about what it is- remember that 4 oz is approx the size of a deck of cards and work off of that. dont forget to add the other ingredients as well, not just the main component:)
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I've had to guess on foods as well. I overestimate serving sizes, and try to list every ingredient that was in the food that was consumed.
    I do this, too. Then add oil/butter.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I take a "best I can do" attitude. When I ate at a local pizza place, I researched and found out that the worst case pizza scenario was Papa John's, so I logged my two slices of large pepperoni on a hand-tossed crust and two cheese sticks as "Papa John's." even though it was Village Pizza. When I ate a crab cake sandwich on ciabatta with roasted red pepper aioli, again at a local place, there was nothing similar in the database, so I put in "crab cake" and logged the biggest one I saw, "ciabatta" and logged two slices, and "roasted red pepper aioli" (it's in there!), 1 serving.

I figure that's the best I can do.
  • iraidatheseeker
    Options
    Today I had lunch in a non-chain restaurant, so I couldn't look up any of their items online anywhere. They didn't give any info at all on how many ounces I was getting of this particular food either. So I don't really know how to properly log this meal in today's diary. I had a grilled tuna wrap, and although I can look up how many calories are in grilled tuna, I have no clue how many ounces I had. The only thing I could think of was to overestimate what I GUESSED the calories were... so that's what I did. But really I could be way under on my estimate. It is hard to guess how many calories are in any given food.

**How about trying to get it from the restaurant ?!**
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i approximate & aim to over log it than under... better safe, than sorry.
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    The restaurant had absolutely no nutrition info for any of their foods!
  • iraidatheseeker
    Options
    The restaurant had absolutely no nutrition info for any of their foods!

Hmm I now only go where ever they have the info! like friendlys, applebees, tgif :wink:
  • sylvia1970
    sylvia1970 Posts: 134
    Options
    Actually I would just put having a bad day! that says it all
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I try and find a best match from the other things and always choose the "worst case scenario"

I had breakfast in a cafe on Sunday and had the Mediterranean Breakfast. I couldn't find anything similar so I just added all the individual items and over esitmated the quantities.
  • jackalope28
    jackalope28 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I take my best guess - and my most HONEST guess - and that's what I use. :)

It may not be 100% correct, you could be going over/under, but as long as you're doing your best and staying honest with it, you'll be fine.

I used to "cheat" and not log foods because I felt too guilty about it, and then realized oh - right - just because I don;t log it doesn't mean the calories didn't get taken in!

:)
  • docdevore
    docdevore Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    As many have said, so do I - overestimate and log it. Like a few, if I can't find a close match, then I start with ingredients. Had to do that with dinner last night. Would rather have a high number than fool myself into thinking that I had a "good" day.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Eventually you get to a point where you can look at something and be pretty close on a weight estimate. If it is the size of a deck of cards it is about 4 ounces. Personally I would break down each item in the meal and add it separately as best as I can. Keep in mind this was only one meal and even if you under/over estimate the calories it will not mess up your progress. Just track when you can as much as possible and take a 'C'est la vie' stance on the ones you can't control. :happy: