How do you "eat up" your workout calories?

Options
I am currently 306lbs with a 60lb loss to date. My daily calories are set at 1680 to reflect a 1000 calorie/day defiency for a 2lb/week projected weight loss.

I have started working out on my treadmill everyday and for my 60 minutes I burn anywhere between 600-900 calories pending how into it I am.

I do not obviously want to go under 1200 net calories and it has been suggested to me that I get as close to my daily calorie goal as possible SO as of now I'm about 200 calories away from 1200 and 600'ish to my 1680. I upped my afternoon snack and late night snack, dinner is covered and I'm under wondering is it OK to maybe have a little treat to up my calories?

Could I go have a Junior Sundae from Sonic? (170-205 calories)

Also how do you eat your workout calories? What are some of your favorite filling, higher calorie snacks and ideas?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• mckennamom
    mckennamom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I tend to use my work out calories to earn a reasonable treat- a piece of chocolate, scoop of ice cream, 100-calorie pop corn. If you don't allow yourself to have those items once in a while I don't think that you can keep up with the weight loss. I have been using this site since June and it really is a life style change more than a diet. You learn to think about the choices that you make every day. Lets face it, it would be crazy to think you would never snack again, just watch the portions. :)
  • sylvia1970
    sylvia1970 Posts: 134
    Options
    its not what the calories are, its the fat and salt content and all the other **** thats in it.

is there no other alternatives?? like making your own??

I personally wouldn't have high calorie snacks as you are kidding yourself.

remember how you got there in the first place
  • docdevore
    docdevore Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change - that is right on the money. I use my workout calories as a cushion for the unexpected. For example, the business dinner I have tonight. And like mckennamom, I know that I could have a cookie or two in the evening and not feel bad about it.

4919825.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Nuts, hard boiled eggs, peanut butter. All great ways to add calories after a workout - or a protein shake.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with small indulgences. I need them to keep sane!!
    Just be careful of all that processed, high sugar/sodium foods.
    I like to eat almonds, a banana, almond milk, a Vita Top, those kinds of things to get my calories up.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I eat nuts, peanut butter, avocados, and other stuff like that. Things that I don't tend to eat on days I don't work out because they don't fit into my daily calories without the extras from exercise but that I indulge in when I do.

Sometimes I use it for a treat of some sort of processed high calorie, nutrient dead food simply because every now and again it's nice to indulge those cravings. But I mostly use it on good stuff.
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    you don't need to consume all your exercise calories. if you're not hungry, what's the point? also REALLY stay away from fast food. don't suggest to yourself it's "just a treat", several weeks down the road you could find yourself having that "treat" every day, and before you know it, you're back to old habits again.

if you want a treat, snack on some strawberries and 1 or 2 oz of dark chocolate. or make yourself some low-cal dessert like meringue? they are sweet, and because they are made from egg whites, reasonably low cal. but keep in mind portion control.
  • EdgeChic
    EdgeChic Posts: 75
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the fast replies!

This is the information I was exactly looking for! I think I am going to try and get some sort of protein shake, get some nuts and start buying more avocados to work into my work out days.

I hope it didn't come off as I wanted to have ice cream EVERY DAY to work up my calories, but I just wanted to know if some people used a treat to "fill up" their work out calories. I guess for me it'd be better to have some ice cream than be under the 1200 calories.

Again, thank you all for the replies so far, the information is exactly what I needed!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Of course you can have a treat. I think that having treats is an important part of making this a lifestyle change and not a diet. As long as you're being healthy 80-90% of the time eating "treats" 10-20% of the time isn't going to hurt you. If you're looking to lose weight, it's calories in vs. calories out that matters. Where those calories come from isn't all that important. However (don't yell at me yet), if you're looking to get healthy, where those calories come from does matter. Also, 1600 calories in twinkies isn't going to feel any where near as filling as 1600 calories of fruits, veggies and lean protein. That being said, 1400 calories in fruits, veggies, and lean protein can keep you full while the 200 calorie twinkie can satisfy you. Thereby, giving you the best of both worlds.
  • Georgie_P
    Georgie_P Posts: 62
    Options
    Excerise calories are those that i do nt try to EVER use ... I'm at about 1000 - 1200 calories a day - then if I work out the way I like to its a 900 calorie bonus .. considering I only get a chance to hti the gym every otehr day, I need those 900 bonus calories to effective lose the tonage on my frame.

if you "induldge" try for a jello pudding at 60 calories or a sugarfree popsicle at 30... you get the same "I deserve this" but not on Sonic calories

Good luck
  • EdgeChic
    Options
    Of course you can have a treat. I think that having treats is an important part of making this a lifestyle change and not a diet. As long as you're being healthy 80-90% of the time eating "treats" 10-20% of the time isn't going to hurt you. If you're looking to lose weight, it's calories in vs. calories out that matters. Where those calories come from isn't all that important. However (don't yell at me yet), if you're looking to get healthy, where those calories come from does matter. Also, 1600 calories in twinkies isn't going to feel any where near as filling as 1600 calories of fruits, veggies and lean protein. That being said, 1400 calories in fruits, veggies, and lean protein can keep you full while the 200 calorie twinkie can satisfy you. Thereby, giving you the best of both worlds.

THANK YOU!

That's the thing, I have transformed my life over the past year, no it's not perfect but I'm working hard. I have been trying to have a well balance of whole grains, LOTS of fruits and veggies, lean proteins, dairy and other healthy aspects.

I could never live off of 1600 calories of twinkies, GAG! ROFL.

I just wanted to see what everyones ideas on having a treat to get you above that 1200 net calorie mark. I don't want to much on 4 pints of strawberries to bring me up 200 calories, I'd get full over 1/2 of one, but a treat would get me up there.

Being so overweight I know it's not as easy to go into "starvation mode" but having had eating disorders my whole life, I don't want to go from over eating for years and then under eating...what's the point of trying to be healthy?! There are scary aspects to both, and I'm just trying to find a good balance.
  • Ironbear
    Ironbear Posts: 15
    Options
    At Trader Joe's if u got one nearby....Frozen Chocolate covered bananas only about 200 calories but a not a terrible alternative to Sonic dessert.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I tend to use my work out calories to earn a reasonable treat- a piece of chocolate, scoop of ice cream, 100-calorie pop corn. If you don't allow yourself to have those items once in a while I don't think that you can keep up with the weight loss. I have been using this site since June and it really is a life style change more than a diet. You learn to think about the choices that you make every day. Lets face it, it would be crazy to think you would never snack again, just watch the portions. :)

true... this website is more like a life style change more than just a quick diet... its only designed to loose no more than 2lb per week... i find it hard to eat my exercise cals sometimes but i find when i run, i could eat a horse! then sometimes i find it hard to stick close to it... my goal is the minimum , 1200 per day...if i run, i earn loads, if is just a bit of yoga, then i have to watch what i eat cos it doesnt burn lots...

the way I do it is...as long as my net cals are as close to 1200 (the minimum anyway) then I'll feel like ive used to site wisely...

good luck
  • EdgeChic
    Options
    At Trader Joe's if u got one nearby....Frozen Chocolate covered bananas only about 200 calories but a not a terrible alternative to Sonic dessert.

I love Trader Joes, I will have to look for those chocolate covered bananas, or make my own, what a great idea, thank you!
  • life1979_24
    life1979_24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    congrats on you loss so far. i have the same problem often. thanks to snow my net is negative right now i'm just glad its friday . i will be drinking some of my calories tonight. yeah, i know worse than ice cream lol
  • EdgeChic
    Options
    congrats on you loss so far. i have the same problem often. thanks to snow my net is negative right now i'm just glad its friday . i will be drinking some of my calories tonight. yeah, i know worse than ice cream lol

Yuck, snow! Don't have that problem here in Tucson, AZ but when we get back to CO this summer, I'll be looking for the calorie burning opportunity of snow shoveling!

Thank you for the compliment as well :) Enjoy your drinks, order a Skinny Girl margarita, pretty tasty!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I find it easy to eat my workout calories because I am HUNGRY! LOL I eat the same foods I normally would snack on. Or I have a bigger dinner. I don't "treat" myself with those calories though. Not usually. Tonight however, for the first time, I will have some calories "left over" for a glass of wine! wooohooooo!
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. I have to say you have a great looking food diary, I really think you have got this journey worked out. You have a treat if you want one, and don't worry if your calories fall short on the odd day or so, it only becomes a problem if you drop low consistently over a long period. You are doing great girl, an inspiration, well done!!
  • EdgeChic
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. I have to say you have a great looking food diary, I really think you have got this journey worked out. You have a treat if you want one, and don't worry if your calories fall short on the odd day or so, it only becomes a problem if you drop low consistently over a long period. You are doing great girl, an inspiration, well done!!

Thank you :)
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    bump