How do you "eat up" your workout calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• wmartin8
    wmartin8 Posts: 22
    Options
    I think it's very healthy to indulge once in a while. A treat every so often can give you psychological break from a rigid diet and help you stick to it. However, you have to be careful here. Don't, use workouts as an excuse to have a cup of ice cream everyday! remember your goal is to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle, having a treat after every workout just because you burn 500+ calories is a sure fire way to reinforce bad habits. What you should do instead is try to reinforce healthier habits. The reason you crave ice cream after a workout is because your glucose reserves are depleted, and the only way to build those back up is by eating tons of carbs, and the fastest digesting carb that you can eat is sugar. Your body is just trying to replenish it's energy stores as soon as possible so it's natural that you would crave something sweet after working out. So after your workouts it's ok to eat a little extra, but make it something healthy. Maybe a couple of bananas, a home made milk shake with low fat milk and your favorite fruit, or a high fiber energy bar. Load up on healthy carbs after a workout and watch your unhealthy cravings diminish fast. If you're craving for a treat at any other time either not breakfast or after working out, think to yourself how bad do you really want it in a scale of 1-10, with 1 being not at all and 10 being intense desire. If it's higher than 6 I think you should go ahead and have whatever your craving, because not indulging means you will eat anything you can to try and make it away and ultimately give in, consuming way more calories than you would've had you indulged. If it's 5 or less fight it, it will go away. Hope this helps.
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You've lost 60 lbs already. Obviously, you have figured out what works for you. I wouldn't deprive yourself of a treat every once in awhile. If you get the Sonic treat today, just don't go back for another for at least a few weeks. Just savor it, make it a conscious choice, and know that it is a special treat.