Question about soreness

Options
I did a new workout yesterday and I am S-O-R-E today! I don't want to get off of my routine but know that pushing too hard can result in injury. My question is, should I try and keep up my routine as planned for today, adjusting as necessary so as not to overdo it or skip today to let my body recover?

Replies

• bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    I did a new workout yesterday and I am S-O-R-E today! I don't want to get off of my routine but know that pushing too hard can result in injury. My question is, should I try and keep up my routine as planned for today, adjusting as necessary so as not to overdo it or skip today to let my body recover?
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Stretch it out. When I am sore. I will focus on another body part. I try to walk too. Just be careful to not over do it. I also find that if you don't get up and move, it gets worse.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    You should set up your work out schedule so that you focus on one part of your body at a time with some cardio every day. So say Upper/Arms then Lower/Legs maybe core however you split up your exercises. Or if you prefer switch between walking, running and jogging and speed walking.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    You should set up your work out schedule so that you focus on one part of your body at a time with some cardio every day. So say Upper/Arms then Lower/Legs maybe core however you split up your exercises. Or if you prefer switch between walking, running and jogging and speed walking.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I would just go for a walk or something. If you don't let your muscles recover it will be harder for them to get built up.
  • kimford28
    kimford28 Posts: 320
    Options
    yes... you need to be stretching before and after your work out... mix up the workout a bit too... you will be sore the first few times, but if you alternate your workouts, it will allow your muscles to recover. Also remember to drink PLENTY of water:)
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you have done, how sore you are and what your goal is.

If you are working towards building your endurance, and you are sore, but no sharp pains, you can workout the next day, but be sure to warm up and stretch before you start and stretch when you are done.

if youa re working towards building more muscles and strength, then you need to rest and recover, but you can warm up, stretch then go for a walk with medium speed.

To prevent being overly sore in the future, be sure to warm up and stretch before you get into your workouts, and then stretch when you're done. This will help the lactic acid from building in your muscle tissues.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Too funny, nobody mentioned a cool down! What happens when you build up all that lactic acid and then stop? Where does the LA go? NOWHERE! If you take about 15 minutes to walk after your workout, you will slowly pump that out allowing more oxeygenated blood in. You will still have some soreness, but it will be significantly less. Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is the technical term if you want to look it up! :flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    you should not stretch before a workout, this is when you would most likely cause injury to a muscle. A few minutes of cardio then stretch when your muscles warm up and yes cool down then stretch again.

You are sore from lactic acid more than likely. You should do something different but in 36-48 hours you should return to the activity that made you sore or you will be sore like that more often than not from that activity. Someone else said it, try to focus on working different body parts on different days, and if you don't have the time for that do weights every other and cardio every day and you will start to notice changes without too much soreness, a little sore is great though, lets you know you did something to push your body to the max and change is going to come from it!
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!!!