canned beets??

Options
craft338
craft338 Posts: 870 Member
i tried beets the other day for the first time ever at a salad bar and really liked them...so i figured i'd buy a can, but of course they were on sale, and now i have 4 cans of beets and no idea what to do with them! i had some tonight straight from the can, but that's gonna get boring real fast. what do i do with these things??? what do they go with?

Replies

• audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    not sure. I don't eat canned, packaged or preserved foods normally, but I do eat raw beets. I grate them and put them in my coleslaw or mix them with grated carrots, add some sesame seeds, nutritional yeast and a soy sauce based salad dressing - to die for!!!!
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Try making a salad...cut them up, add shredded cabbage(coleslaw mix bag), maybe a little yogurt and fresh fennel or fresh dill.
  • jsjlandy
    jsjlandy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat beets is on a salad. Usually with dark greens or spinach. They go really well with nuts and full flavored cheeses like feta, bleu, gorgonzola, goat cheese. There are a lot of recipes you can find on allrecipes.com or other sites, too! I love jarred beets, but usually in a fully loaded salad.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I have also tried beets recently...but I did the same thing, out of a can, and while I was not super grossed out, I was not running back for more! I look for recipes for them but really dont find much other than salad. Here is one I found that is slightly different than a standard salad, but I honestly have not tried it yet. It would probably be better with fresh beets rather than canned though....

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010_06_20_archive.html

check out this website anyway though. She basically posts recipes for weight watchers people....but I have actually found a few really good ones on here. All low cal and fat. The crock pot santa fe chicken is fantastic!