i think i need to eat more lean protein - suggestions?

Options
as a vegan for the past 5 years i'm having some trouble incorporating lean protein into my life. i have started eating meat and seafood again since i've started strength training. i don't have an issue with eating meat in general, i just don't care to support the industry, so i've been making sure the meat i am experimenting with now is organic and preferably local. anyway i've been eating some smoked turkey or chicken in a wrap with sweet potatoes, guac and other veggies, and sometimes ill throw it on top of salads, but other than that i really don't know what to do with it. meat is just so boring to me!!! it's really not something i actually want to eat, but i feel like i've tried EVERYTHING to lose 10 stupid pounds, and it's just not coming off. a higher protein diet is really the only thing i haven't tried yet. i have no desire to cook a hunk of chicken or something and just eat it as a meal with a side dish or two - does anyone have any suggestions on how to incorporate meat into meals, where it can be kind of hidden among other, tastier foods?

Replies

• kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Beans are an excellent source of protein and are SO versatile.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    Beans are an excellent source of protein and are SO versatile.
    but so many carbs :\ i don't think i'll lean out with so many carbs in my life, i already eat a ton!
  • jwstew007
    jwstew007 Posts: 67
    Options
    Try incorporating it into some home made sushi, go light on the rice so the protein to carb ratio is high.

I've made avocado rolls before with teriyaki chicken was actually pretty tasty
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Fish is a GREAT way to get lean protein...and there are SO many preparation options!
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You can chop any meat up into little pieces and incorporate it into things you already eat - like pasta sauce, scrambled eggs, stir fry, beans, soups, etc.
  • Mallorylee0790
    Options
    Top Round
    Flank/Skirt Steak
    London Broil
    Chicken/Turkey Breast
    Fish
    Shrimp
    Tofu
    Pork Tenderloin
  • SmellyMelly13
    Options
    One of my favourites lately, it's great as a to-go meal, I usually bring it to work with me:

Mix a can of tuna up with a couple tablespoons of Salsa, chop some green onions up, and then spread a thin layer of cream cheese on a whole wheat tortilla and roll it up!

I had no idea cream cheese and tuna went so well together but they do, and with the fat free cream cheese it's low cal and has some carbs and a ton of protein.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Pork, chicken, turkey, fish. For the pork I season and pan sear, then finish in the oven. I do the same w/ chicken, or alternately, I bake it in lemon juice. I find that when it's cooked perfectly (not overcooked), it's really delicious, even with a just few basic seasonings and a simple side like veggies & brown rice or veggies and sweet potato.

For chicken try salt, pepper, garlic (or galic powder), thyme
    For pork just some salt, pepper and some paprika
    Salmon is good with dill, salt & pepper. I often do it in lemon juice like the chicken. Note salmon has plenty of fat so technically isn't "lean protein", but it's good fat.
    Another way to do salmon is to coat it with mustard then sprinkle brown sugar on top and bake.

[When brining the meats first, omit the salt when you're adding seasonings]

Get a cooking thermometer. Cooking till it's just done is the key to the whole thing.

Edit: whoops, I just went back and re-read your question, which I didn't read all the way through the first time. Sorry, this is clearly not what you wanted.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    Pork, chicken, turkey, fish. For the pork I season and pan sear, then finish in the oven. I do the same w/ chicken, or alternately, I bake it in lemon juice. I find that when it's cooked perfectly (not overcooked), it's really delicious, even with a just few basic seasonings and a simple side like veggies & brown rice or veggies and sweet potato.

For chicken try salt, pepper, garlic (or galic powder), thyme
    For pork just some salt, pepper and some paprika
    Salmon is good with dill, salt & pepper. I often do it in lemon juice like the chicken. Note salmon has plenty of fat so technically isn't "lean protein", but it's good fat.
    Another way to do salmon is to coat it with mustard then sprinkle brown sugar on top and bake.

[When brining the meats first, omit the salt when you're adding seasonings]

Get a cooking thermometer. Cooking till it's just done is the key to the whole thing.

Edit: whoops, I just went back and re-read your question, which I didn't read all the way through the first time. Sorry, this is clearly not what you wanted.
    haha, i appreciate the information anyway ;)
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    DO a little ground turkey with seasoning and wrap in a whole what toritilla with green peppers, onions and low fat sour cream for a nice burrito. I like to Squeeze lemon on chicken then place a couple of lemon rings on top with pepper and Bake a chicken breast in foil. The chicken is really good on top of salads. Take canned tuna (or bake a tuna filet and chop) add some onion celery and low fat mayo and stuff into a tomatoe for a salad..Cook some turkey bacon then crumble into omelets or make a breakfast burrito with eggs, turkey bacon, onion, green peppers, mushrooms and cheese. I basically do salads a lot of different ways with chicken such as making wraps with different dressing and veggies to mix things up a bit..quick and yummy meals. Maybe on a day when you haven't eaten to many carbs you could try a three bean salad with green beans, (I use was beans) and low sodium kidney beans. Mix with balsamic vinegar, onion and pepper to taste..even my 7 year old love this!
  • spaboleo
    spaboleo Posts: 172
    Options
    Do you eat milk products?

Try low-fat milk, low-fat quark, low-fat yoghurt...they are really good protein sources. For both, the one getting processed quickly after a workout to support your muscles and the ones that are digested over a longer period afterwards, like casein.

I love Cottage Cheese (the low-fat variant).
    It is quite versatile...mix it with any vegetable you like and you are good off.
    Even though it's called Cheese it doesn't have a very strong cheese-taste...it is even possible to mix it with squashed fruits, honey and nuts of all kinds.
    It even goes along with meat/cold-cuts quite well :smile:

Or does this collide with you being vegan?
    Maybe you could get locally produced milk products?
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    no milk, i'm allergic to it. i was wondering about cottage cheese though, cause it seems everyone who is losing weight eats cottage cheese! maybe i'll try it if it's low in lactose.