Difference between calories allowed here and other weight lo

Options
My calorie allowance from here for a 1 pound a week weight loss is 1360. That doesn't include added exercise calories, when I exercise. They say if I do that I will have lost 13 pounds by June 11th.

I went to a different popular website to see what they said. They said if I ate between 1500 and 1850 calories a day, and exercised off 650 calories a week I could lose 30 pounds by June 11th. Even if I took the 1850 a day and subtracted the 650 for exercise it still has me eating more calories than what I'm allowed here.

Now I am not sure if I should stay with the 1360 or up it and see what happens. As anyone had any luck following the guidelines of a different site?

Replies

• shan2bthin
    shan2bthin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love MFP and value their input. The lbs. I've lossed in just the few weeks I've been on here is proof enough for me that I'm sticking to MFP. Good luck!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i agree with shan, i'm succeeding on here & trust this site not to con me into some fad diet :o) this is a lifestyle change.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

Yeah - I know the feeling, sorta like weighing on different scales - they all say something different!

Since you've been losing weight something is going right....but, you could try an experiemnt with your calories and see what happens. Only way to know!

best,
    julia
  • annadilynn
    Options
    I like MFP...they are free and dont try to sell ANYTHING!...its incouraging and its working...changing a life not just the scale...
  • jasonwhitham
    Options
    With the help from MFP I have lost 10Lbs since starting 4 weeks ago.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    1850 - 650 is 1300.. that's less than MFP by 160 calories. That's like, a bowl of oatmeal a day. EVERYTHING in weight loss is a RANGE. You're fine. Just pick one and stick with it.
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    1850 - 650 is 1300.. that's less t
    Not 650 a day..650 a week.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    1850 - 650 is 1300.. that's less t
    Not 650 a day..650 a week.

read the rest of my post.. it got submitted before it was done typing.

regardless, the point about being a range still stands and the point about picking one system and sticking with it still stands. if you don't get results with one after 4-6 weeks, try the other.
  • tappytaptap
    Options
    stick with MFP I've lost 33 pounds with it :)
  • Hemis_mom
    Hemis_mom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I used the calculations in Jillian Micheals book and the great thing about MFP is YOU can input what you feel is right by changing your goals--I trust Jillian so I went with her calories for me which was a little bit more than MFP and for me it is working (10 pounds in 4 weeks)!! I agree with others you need to find what works for you- my sister just went through a period of time where she wasn't eating enough (because of MFP calculations) and wasn't losing weight so we upped her calories using JM figures and I think it will work for her. It is science but it also takes some fiddling because we are all different!! Good Luck
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    My calorie allowance from here for a 1 pound a week weight loss is 1360. That doesn't include added exercise calories, when I exercise. They say if I do that I will have lost 13 pounds by June 11th.

I went to a different popular website to see what they said. They said if I ate between 1500 and 1850 calories a day, and exercised off 650 calories a week I could lose 30 pounds by June 11th. Even if I took the 1850 a day and subtracted the 650 for exercise it still has me eating more calories than what I'm allowed here.

Now I am not sure if I should stay with the 1360 or up it and see what happens. As anyone had any luck following the guidelines of a different site?

Other than MFP, I don't know any sites that use their Net Calories approach. This 1500-1850 would be what you eat and no more. With MFP if you eat 1360 and exercise 650 you will then consume those exercise calories with a total of 2010 calories (if I did the math in my head correctly) But, if you don't exercise at all, you can eat the 1360 and still lose weight. Now I may be misunderstanding things, because it is late, but I think stick with MFP.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    MFP does not calculate things the same way other sites do, so it's pretty hard to compare apples to apples with another site.

Make sure your daily activity level is set correctly.

Here are a couple of threads that might help. I've seen a lot of success with MFP, for myself and others. I'd stick with MFP for now and give it time to work. Good luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/173853-an-objective-look-at-eating-exercise-calories
  • ameaston22
    Options
    I really like the way that this website is designed. It's really easy to understand. Other calorie websites seem to follow a more strict approach - "you can only have set amount of calories even if you work out hours each day" and that never worked for me. The way that I'm doing things now just seems a lot more lax. If I want to eat a nice small bowl of ice cream (like now) then I just need to make sure that I exercise more that day and earn those extra calories. I still don't eat ALL my exercise-earned calories back because I like that extra caloric deficit. It's really worked for me. I don't feel like I've cut much out of my diet, but I am getting better at portion control and making smart choices. Down 12 pounds and only 12 more to go before I reach my goal weight!