A little nervous

Options
Hi Everyone ~

I'm a little nervous. I have quite a bit of weight to lose and I'm hoping to truly turn my life around this time. At 47 years old the clock is ticking. I've failed miserably so many times before. I'm probably the most miserable I've ever been at my current weight. I was looking at some pictures from a recent trip and I don't even recognize myself anymore. :embarassed: I'm very ashamed.

Anyway just wanted to say hello and I wish everyone here good luck on their weight loss journey. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I could've written this post last year. ;)

Welcome to MFP!!! Take a deep breath, get a feel for the place, log everything and make friends here. They are truly the key to succeeding. The advice, help and support you get here is above and beyond anything you expect.

Again, welcome and good luck!! Stick with this and you can't help but succeed. :)
  • Disneygal11
    Options
    I could've written this post last year. ;)

Welcome to MFP!!! Take a deep breath, get a feel for the place, log everything and make friends here. They are truly the key to succeeding. The advice, help and support you get here is above and beyond anything you expect.

Again, welcome and good luck!! Stick with this and you can't help but succeed. :)

Thank you so much!!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    You're welcome. I've done enough diets...went so far and fell off, gained it back. This is one site that makes it all work. :)
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    you can do it. believe in yourself. you are a warrior, and this is your battle. but you arent alone
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Hey, you have no more to be ashamed about than any of the rest of us...I know it's hard to see the difference in yourself(believe me, I know!), but gaining weight is no worse than losing hair(tell that to my head!)...We go through a lot of things in life, some are traumatic which causes emotional eating, sometimes we have so much to do(family life) that a lot of women(like me) put themselves on the back burner and forget about themselves without even realizing it until the damage is done! I went through a period of being ashamed and then I got mad - at myself for letting things get out of hand...I realized that my entire life revolved around my family and I hadn't done ANYTHING for myself. I just decided to get myself a life and work on being the way that I know I should but never let ANYONE(including yourself) put you down or make you ashamed of falling into one of the most common situations in this life - being human. Feel free to add me as a friend - You can do it, welcome to the site...you will find much support and motivation, plus it is just plain fun on the boards! We're all in this together...much success on your/our journey!:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:
  • MissMe2morrow
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou:

I was logging food and calories for a month on here before I ever started to dabble with the forums, but it wasn't until I started reading all the great info and getting support from the wonderful friends I've made, that I've started really feeling optimistic. We're all here to support each other through good days and hard ones.

Feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like! :smile:
  • Lindyteach
    Lindyteach Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You couldn't have chosen a better place! This is a fabulous site which is beautiful in it's simplicity. Record what you eat and all the exercise you do and follow the calorie guidelines and that's it! It works and it fits into your lifestyle like a glove. No need to feel nervous, start feeling proud and delighted! Cheers!
  • Disneygal11
    Options
    Thank you for such a warm welcome everyone. I wasn't expecting that. LOL WOW! What a wonderful group of people. You all have made me smile.
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    Welcome!! You can do it! This is an amazing source of support and encouragement. I've found this to be a place of NO JUDGEMENT. Even when people have a small ammount to lose, they are still supportive (I have lost 65 and have 140 more to go...). Reach out, make friends and get connected with people. The support is invaluable. WELCOME!!!! :)
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Hi

Hope you are getting ready to concur the world on this site. I will tell you with some strong determination and the will to succeed you will go far. I have done well by logging all my food. It helps to do it before you eat it (you will be surprise how many calories are in things) I check,check and recheck the calorie content because they are not always accurate on the site. I am not a big exercise person (very hard to fit it in most days) . I work out abit with my WII (too much fun) I started by calorie level at 1200 but after a few weeks I discovered that it was far to low so I brought it up to 1430 and I lose 1 pound a week almost like clockwork. I hit the wall a couple times and did not lose for the week then the following week it got its MoJo back and off it came. I can tell you that I do budget for a treat ( I love Yoplait delights chocolate raspberry) There is a really good web site hungry girl.com tons of recipes for some yummy food (one of my favs is chicken cordon blu ) I really began to have more energy at about 20 pounds off. It is funny because the body changes slowly but its cool to discover all the new things that you have (or to be more exact the things you don’t have) like one less roll on your tummy or hey I forgot I have dimples in my cheeks :bigsmile: Again you can do it just hang in there an be patient.
    Pam :flowerforyou:
  • urbanruralmomma
    Options
    What i see in your post is someone who really wants to make a change - and that's a very positive thing. I'm glad you're here. Here's my help (which may not differ from most others):

Get some friends on MFP -- it really does help. You'll see how others are doing. You'll see them have good days, and bad ones. They will encourage you, and you'll know that you're not alone.

Drink water - it helps too. I've found that i need to drink earlier in the day to achieve the best results - drinking water in the afternoon shows up on the scale the next morning. But that's my body, find out what works for you.

Log everything - I've tried several different diets too. Even on Weight Watchers, I gained nearly everything back. But with this system, i'm finally feeling full and satisfied - AND i'm loosing weight.

Don't use the word 'cheat' in your diet - When you go over in your caloric intake goal, it's because you needed that in some way - physically, mentally, spiritually. 'Cheat' is a bad word, and makes us feel guilty about our actions. The only way I feel like i cheat myself is when I don't log everything.

Read other people's Diaries - It'll give you a really good head-start on what works for other folks - and give you ideas on what will work for you.

Set mini-goals. Mine are truly mini - like tiny! I allowed myself to be proud when I noticed that my wrists were thinner, when the middle digit in my weight went down (that was only a 2lb loss, but still), when i could fit into some old (yucky, out of style) jeans, or just when my pants don't fit as tightly as they used to. By giving myself a reason to rejoice, I'm happier and feel more accomplished. Personally, I know if I keep focused on the end-goal, I'll become discouraged and give up.

Exercise - you *can* loose weight without it, but it'll be much more difficult. Even clinching your muscles while driving/watching tv will help. Of course the more vigorous exercise you're able to do, the more weight you'll loose. One of my motivations for working out is that i get to eat more! (This system adds the calories you burn during a workout to your caloric budget for the day.)

For me, what they say is true - it all comes down to diet and exercise.

Hope that helps. Good luck on your weight loss!
  • Disneygal11
    Options
    I just can't say thank you enough to all of you. I honestly feel inspired by reading your posts. Thank you for the advice and encouragement. I need it more than any of you could know.
  • vanimysore
    Options
    Hi

I am new too. I just started yesterday. I am on 1200 and am ok with it. Not sure if it is low or just write. I have about 45 lbs to lose. Currently very obssessed about weight lose. Anyways, good toknow there are many more in the same boat, and with mutual motivation probably will achieve it.
  • Mischabella
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! As you have seen already the support and motivation from other MFPers is simply amazing. I enjoy logging in every day to see how my friends are doing..giving them "Great Jobs" encouraging them to keep on track. And the support they give me..I couldn't ask for any better. The calorie logger definitely makes you think before you put stuff in your mouth and makes you accountable for everything that you do. Again Welcome!!! and good luck on your journey!!! :smile:
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you!

Feel free to "friend" me. I've been working at this for about 2 years and have lost some weight slowly.

I found MFP a couple of months ago and it's a nice way to track things.

Best!

Debbie
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    So glad you found the site, as you can see we are very supportive. You can do this, you deserve this. The past doesn't matter, you can't change it, so just set your sites from here on out.
  • jpcmusic
    jpcmusic Posts: 6
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

It's amazing how warm this community truly is.

When you trying to do weight loss, it's frustrating cause your mind is only on all the thinner people out there and thinking that your the only one who has extra weight. But with MFP.. You realise there are thousands of people on a journey and we can all help each other!!

I have dieted, gone to the gym, ate crap, excessed lost and gained weight before joining MFP.

But apart from a pound or two bumps in the road.. For the first time in 10 years, I have been the lightest I have EVER been.. And I'm only a few months in.

Pick a few people and look at their photos.. Read their stories and believe me.. You WON'T believe how easy it all becomes! :-)

Especially as I have this all on my iPhone And carry MFP with me too!!

Set small goals and have the big goal in the back of your mind!

In 3 months I have gone from being clinically obeese.. To just overweight.. I sleep better.. I have more energy.. I don't get as many back pains.. And thats only after three months!!!

Welcome.. And have fun finding out about everyone... And discovering YOU!
    :-D

Jpxx
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone ~

I'm a little nervous. I have quite a bit of weight to lose and I'm hoping to truly turn my life around this time. At 47 years old the clock is ticking. I've failed miserably so many times before. I'm probably the most miserable I've ever been at my current weight. I was looking at some pictures from a recent trip and I don't even recognize myself anymore. :embarassed: I'm very ashamed.

Anyway just wanted to say hello and I wish everyone here good luck on their weight loss journey. :flowerforyou:
    Welcome to MFP.

There is nothing to be ashamed, nervous or embarrassed about.

Feel proud that you are taking the steps to change things.

Have a good look around the boards, there is lots of good advice on them.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You have come to the right place! :wink:
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, you'll love the encouragement and support you will receive. Not to mention the pounds you're going to take off... so get ready for success!