8 glasses a day= 8 trips to the bathroom

Options
2»

Replies

• Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I know this a bit of an odd topic but I've really been working hard to get my 8 glasses a day and the benefits are fantastic and endless but it is so inconvenient to always need to go to the bathroom!! I went 6 times before lunch today. Ahhh anyone else find this as annoying as me?? Haha

Wait.. are you drinking 8 glasses a day or 8 cups a day?? The recommendation is 8 CUPS a day (1cup= 8 ounces). That could be why you are peeing so much!! There are about 2 cups in a typical glass. If you are drinking 8 glasses a day, you are probably trying to drink 16 cups a day. WOW. lol
  • dawnkitchen
    dawnkitchen Posts: 161
    Options
    I pee something like 6 times a day during my work shifts and probably 4 or 5 more times at home. I drink more water while I am at work moving around than at home, relaxing a bit.

I'll have 6-8 cups of water during my work shift, 10 oz green tea, and a 12 oz can of soda. But I eat every couple of hours, too, so I get thirst-ay!

Supposedly, your body gets used to it... but I'm not buying it yet, as I've been drinking this much for two months and I still pee around 10 times a day.

I also wake up twice a night (about 2 hours into sleep and 2-3 hours after that) for a pee break, too. Which is the worst part, so I've tried to not drink anything an hour before bed, but no help so far.
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I know this a bit of an odd topic but I've really been working hard to get my 8 glasses a day and the benefits are fantastic and endless but it is so inconvenient to always need to go to the bathroom!! I went 6 times before lunch today. Ahhh anyone else find this as annoying as me?? Haha

Wait.. are you drinking 8 glasses a day or 8 cups a day?? The recommendation is 8 CUPS a day (1cup= 8 ounces). That could be why you are peeing so much!! There are about 2 cups in a typical glass. If you are drinking 8 glasses a day, you are probably trying to drink 16 cups a day. WOW. lol

No I mean 8 cups. My glasses at home are standard cup size (250ml) but I have a 750ml water bottle and I try to drink 3 of those a day.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Ha! Ha! That's funny!

Really though, "8 glasses a day" is total bunk. Before you go and water logg yourself, think about the water content of your foods. Especially if you eat a lot of fresh veggies. A large percentage of your water intake comes from solid foods.

And, check your sodium intake. It can be too low.
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Ha! Ha! That's funny!

Really though, "8 glasses a day" is total bunk. Before you go and water logg yourself, think about the water content of your foods. Especially if you eat a lot of fresh veggies. A large percentage of your water intake comes from solid foods.

Thanks, my sodium was 2500mg but I lowered it to the health professional recommended 1500mg because I wanted to combat water retention. Sure is working :\ haha. Ahhhh I hate that I wake up in the middle of the night to go, it's sooooooo annoying!!!
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    me too. it's ridiculous. !!!!!!!!!!!!11
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Ha! Ha! That's funny!

I never count the water in food. i only count the plain water and the ice in a soda if i get to the bottom of the cup which i usually don't . lol
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I hope I adjust. Now that I've been drink 6+ glasses a day for 2 weeks, I always feel thirsty, and all the bathroom trips are driving me nuts.

I agree the more I drink water throughout the day the thirstier I get. I feel like I can not go for long without a drink of water. I still pee all day long. The night pees are the most annoying. I just want to sleep.
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    for all those that make frequent trips to the bathroom. Trap on an inexpensive pedometer and count those steps...lol...j/k...no really :indifferent:
  • sacchariine
    Options
    Before I started reading this I took a trip to the bathroom... when I finished I took another.

It is SUPER annoying, especially night time trips.
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is the same. I have always (last 15 years anyway) drank around 120-200 oz's of water a day and my body still has
    not adjusted to that much water. I have 3 cups of coffee in the am and then the rest is just pure water....no soda's.... I get up anywhere between 4-6 times a night!!! I have gone to the doctor to see if anything is wrong with my bladder but it is ok...
    So I hope your body does adjust... :smile:

Mary
    . Same here Mary. :-( I dropped from two cups of coffee to one and no soda. Same results as before.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Yes i agree your body adjusts- your bladder accomodates for the increase
    Mine never adjusted. I've just come to accept the fact that I will always have to pee. In fact for every 1 glass of water I drink, I make 2 trips to the bathroom.
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My personal belief is that the need for 8 cups of water a day is an out-dated myth. However, having said that, there are "certain times of the month" that I need to drink more so I don't retain. Here is my little tip.....every time I go to the bathroom I then drink a glass of water. I call it a "flush and fill" ;)
    Yes, your body will adjust.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    costing me a fortune in toilet paper :laugh:
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    but 8 glasses is only 2 litres a day....so easy. lol.

i wake up, i smash a cold glass straight away. i have another on after breakfast.
    i take a drink bottle(700ml) i the car on the way to work. its gone by the time i get there, lol. 40 minute trip.

then i have another 700ml after meal 2, then another after lunch, then another after meal 4....then another glass with dinner. and another during the evening.

whats that? 3.8L. minimum. per day. plus gym...usualy another 1.5, haha. plus protein shake...another 300ml.

i built up to thie over about 1 month. feel totally different now, so much better...

I have done a bit of reading up on this topic. your body learnds to accept more water. like its adjust to more and more exercise, or more food, etc. its wonderful at adapting to almost anything your throw at it really(within reason!!!)

but yes, the toilet and you become great mates!!

:p
  • Disneygal11
    Options
    for all those that make frequent trips to the bathroom. Trap on an inexpensive pedometer and count those steps...lol...j/k...no really :indifferent:

LOL!! I like that! :laugh:
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Ive been drinking 8+ for several months and my body adjusted a little, but usually when Im getting a new glass I also go to the bathroom...:D Also I agree its a fortune in toilet paper...