I am horrible, need help

Options
I just started fitnesspal yesterday and did so good, I can't say the same about today. At school and after school I went after my 1200 kcal diet, but when the night came along and I hung with my friends, I hate 1000 kcal worth of cookies and chips. I suck. I need help. How on earth do you keep your mind off food when there's food around? I cannot just avoid hanging out..

Replies

• B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Tic tacs lol. They are my best friend, I pop a tic tac and everything I eat after that doesn't taste good lol.
  • yeaah
    yeaah Posts: 34
    Options
    Ahh, thanks for advice, but I somewhat always seem to eat the whole package when starting tic tacs... And then I get gassy hahaha, for then to be hungry because my tummy is filled with air! EVIL CIRCLE.
  • lworlton
    lworlton Posts: 1
    Options
    Or to go along with the post above.. brush your teeth after your last meal of the day so you don't do any late night snacking cause who likes to eat after their pearly whites are all polished! I don't :)
  • azuremornings
    Options
    I don't think under those circumstances you can avoid eating snacks all together. I do think that you could pick up a lower cal option - an example would be mini wheats, or mini crisps. My favorite, though, is tortilla shells cut into nacho shapes - spritz them with water and drop a few herbs & salt on 'em and bake for a few minutes till crisp like a nacho. Then dip in tzatziki (or drop some cinnamon and a light sprinkling of sugar and dip in vanilla yogurt). I know it's just not the same, but it really does help me a lot. The calories still add up, but more like 200-300 calories which is reasonable.

Oh, the other thing that helps me, is to drink 2 full glasses of water before snacking. You'll feel fulfilled earlier.

Good luck!
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Out of sight, out of mind! Don't let them bring out the junk - for their sake and yours.
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    carry a bag of your favorite fruits/ veggies/ wheat thins around with you so that when everyone else is snacking on chips you have something healthier to munch on. I also try to keep a bottle of water with me so that im not tempted to get a soda or something.
  • yeaah
    Options
    Oh my, you guys are so nice! That was very smart.. But I'm such a cookie monster..
    I'll try to drink lots and lots of water before letting myself get carried away by the cookies, and maybe the binging stops of fullness.... :D

I actually tried telling them not to this time, but they were like: but it's moooovie niiight. And I am easily convinced..
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Do your friends know you are trying to lose weight? I don't tell many people b/c I'm a little self conscious and I also want to see if ppl will notice and say something w/o knowing (then you know they aren't just being nice). But if you are comfortable with it, it would help so they don't keep offering you food. Maybe hang out by going to the gym together or shopping at the mall (all that walking!). Having at least one person who knows you are dieting and who is supportive can make all the difference. Find that person/people in your life.

Another thing is to take control of the snacks available when you hang out. Maybe you like veggies or fruits, just make sure to eat them plain w/o dressing or whipped cream. Lately I've been eating lots of strawberries and they are low cal + filling to me. Not all fruits are the same... grapes have a lot of sugar so the calories add up fast. Edamame is a great snack with plenty of protein and fiber. Spend some time looking at nutrition info to see what things you like that are low cal. Beware of the packaged food that say they are low cal or are diet food.... they can have surprisingly large amount of cals, sugar, and sodium.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    What about chewing gum? They have some of those dessert kind that aren't bad if you crave something sweet.
    Don't be so hard on yourself, this is a learning process. We all make mistakes (and still make them along the way!) It's hard to jump in with both feet sometimes, so brush yourself off & climb back on that wagon! Believe me, I've not only fallen off, but been run over by that dam wagon!
    Another idea is to bring your own snacks, if you know it's an event where there will be eating. Some of the baked chips aren't bad, still in moderation, but what about vegy's & low-cal dip?
    You'll be fine! Stay positive & don't dwell on the bad days, but glory in the good ones! (Just strive for more good then bad ones!) :flowerforyou:
  • yeaah
    Options
    I don't like telling ALL my friends, because I know from earlier attempts that some try and screw it up you know? So I tell my best friend that I know will support me, but she never seem to be able to really dare and tell me NO even though I beg them too... I am also self conscious - so I honestly don't really ever say that I am TRYING TO LOOSE WEIGHT. I just tell them Im trying to be healthy.. Maybe that's the difference.. Ah.

I love berries. Maybe I should start eating berries.
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I agree with taking your own snacks with you and if you like the cookies and chips, get the 100 calories packs that have the cookies and chips. Then you'll still get a taste of the sweet and salty without the calories, well, a lot of calories anyway...lol
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like! Always helps to have friends on here to cheer ya on! Good luck!
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I chew gum to keep my mouth busy so that I do not want to munch. Social settings are my hardest times, but I have started allotting myself 200 calories (saving them throughout the day so I don't go over on my daily total intake) that I save for the evening that I will be with friends. I have a plan ahead of time so that I know exactly what I can eat and how much. I went to a potluck last week with friends and we had mexican food bar and I only consumed 143 calories because I went there with a plan already worked out in my mind and refused to go against it. They begged me to eat more and to eat dessert after because they insisted I did not eat enough. I was full and I stayed within my pre-planned calorie allotment.
  • yeaah
    Options
    Aww, PegasusDeb, that is so good to know! I couldn't ever chew gum cause I am highly intolerant by the stuff in it and causes a way gassy tummy..... Eww. But thank you, I will keep in mind it's a learning progress, cause I so easily give up if I do mistakes and this time I did the mistake THE SECOND DAY and it hurts.
  • afteil
    Options
    if you like cookies then you can follow the same concept- get the 100 calorie packs of cookies so you feel like youre eating lots of cookies but its not that many calories :) Depending on where you live, the natural foods section of a lot of supermarkets carry better versions of cookies that are healthier for you, so you can take those with you for whenever you have a cookie craving :)
  • yeaah
    Options
    Do they really have those 100 kcal cookies? I had no idea. I am a home-made-cookie eater (which is so much worse..haha) I NEED TO FIND THEM for my weekends and movie nights.
  • afteil
    Options
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/15174345
    they have them for pretty much any cookie
    also, if you like homemade cookies, try subbing out the oil/butter for applesauce instead. (or use half butter and have applesauce). it might make the cookies spread a little more but it will lower the calories on them. Also, there are a ton of healthier cookie recipes out there on the web if you want to bake them at home :)
  • PegasusDeb
    Options
    If you like to bake, check out sites on'line for low cal healthy options. They are out there. When I was doing weight watchers we had a meringue cookie that was like one point each. They were delish! And you could vary the recipe for all kinds of stuff.

Add me if you like, we're all in this together!
  • PegasusDeb
    Options
    Also, if you bake at home, make the cookies WAY smaller & just give yourself a set number & that's it! I have been using the "recipe" setting quite a bit lately for my fav dishes. Sometimes seeing the break down gives you an OMG moment & deters you from eating them!
  • hippo_hips
    hippo_hips Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    to be honest, I've been avoiding going out or hanging out with people when it involves food.
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    well if you are serious about your diet then you gotta talk to your friends because it has been proven they can be one of the biggest obstacles when it comes to this sort of thing.
    "what's a few cookies, or a piece of pizza you worked out right?"
    blah blah blah. In the end it is your body and you gotta be in control of it.

That being said I use gum to keep my mind off of food and water. I usually have a fiber one bar or 100 cal pack in my purse as well. Some times a banana just depends, but you gotta have your healthy options if you are having movie nights and all that.