i need help with 100g carb cure challenge

Options
I'm trying to limit my carb consumption to 100g per day and i am having a very difficult time. i'm used to about double that amount and now realize that i eat way too little protein too.

i don't know how to up my protein intake without eating too many eggs or too much meat in one day. all the other sources seem to be laden with carbs as well, which will jeopardize my goal of 100g carbs a day.

i would appreciate any suggestions that do not include protein powders and other processed sources...

and do you think 100g is way too big a jump for me from about 200g a day? i'm feeling under the weather right now with colds and impending cough. do you think i made too drastic a change to my food?

i really need help on these... thank you!

Replies

• Lizzgeorge77
    Lizzgeorge77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    One word: VEGETABLES. There are tons of ways to limit carbs without going way overboard on heavy protein - but you have to start eating and enjoying vegetables. Otherwise you are going to be stuck with processed chemical no carb "foods" like all the weird powdery shakes and bars. That's not healthy or sustainable long term - plus it's expensive.

here are a few ideas:

Arugula salad with pistachios and goat cheese.
    Brocolli / Carrots and hummus (or guacamole)
    Plain yogurt with berries or other lower-sugar fruit
    smoked salmon with capers and lowfat cream cheese on pumpernickel
    Spinach salad with hard boiled egg, onion, mushrooms
    Vegetable stir fry (peppers/onion/snap peas/brocolli) with grilled chicken/beef/tofu (can add brown rice or noodles).
    Grilled fish/chicken/beef with sauteed kale and roasted eggplant
    omelets with any cheese/veggies

For what it's worth, I often try to limit sugar without necessarily limiting all carbs. So I end up with between 100-150 carbs on most days (unless I add wine to the mix) without even trying. Lots of whole grains don't have much, if any sugars.
  • chiarajulieann
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help.

I'm learning quite a few things about macro-nutrients and how important it is to balance them out. Your suggestions are great and you are right, veggies are the way to go. I actually love veggies but because of my current sched i find it tiresome to prepare them often enough. I gotta change that.

Maybe I should focus on limiting my sugar intake instead. =D

I will stock up on the staples you mentioned here, again,thank you. I appreciate your help very much.
  • mishu21399
    Options
    Would you believe I manage to keep my carbs between 20 and 30 per day, lol, and haven't got over 1200 cals per day yet. Lost 5 lbs my first week.