Negative calorie foods?

Options
or something like that :)
I asked a question about high volume, filling, low calorie foods and someone mentioned lots of fruits etc
Can someone point me in the right direction on this site, to find a list of approved foods
I assumed all fruits were OK, but I just ate a med. size banana and when I plugged it into my food journal it registered 200 calories...UGHHHH

Thanks, Kim

Replies

• kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    or something like that :)
    I asked a question about high volume, filling, low calorie foods and someone mentioned lots of fruits etc
    Can someone point me in the right direction on this site, to find a list of approved foods
    I assumed all fruits were OK, but I just ate a med. size banana and when I plugged it into my food journal it registered 200 calories...UGHHHH

Thanks, Kim
  • bigjug1967
    Options
    Bananas have alot of natural sugar in them , but are very helpfull to your body once in a while and have good nutrients in them , melons are a good fruit too. I love Grapefruit too.
  • createsure
    Options
    I have become aware of the fruit thing too.
    Fruits seem to have a decent amount of calories to them, probably because of the sugars. You probably don't want to be eating more than 2 fruits a day if you are trying to eat less calories. Personally, I like to eat a piece of fruit in the evenings, after dinner, when I get a sugar craving. I used to eat junk when that happened, but fruit is so much better.

As for the high volume filling low-calorie foods, I don't really know the best thing to recommend. What I do to keep my calorie count down and my belly happy is to eat smaller portions. I have come up with several satisfying small meals that average around 300 calories each. Doing 4 or 5 of those throughout the day, along with a couple "snacks", like the fruit or a beer or something, leaves me well within my calorie count (usually under!) and I'm never feeling really hungry.
  • bob9304
    bob9304 Posts: 87
    Options
    A handfull of nuts work pretty good also. They have good properties and will keep you satisfied longer.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Veggies are usually negative calorie foods. Meaning it take more claories to digest them than they provide. Yes, fruits are full of natural sugars. Great in moderation, but watch the calories!

Veggies are usually more dense and water filled. Think about celery or green peppers. They are hollow and filled with water. The roughage does amazing things for your digestive system and keeps you satisfied because they take longer to break down. (Hence the negative calories) Throw in some peanut butter for a protein kick that will "stick" (ha ha ha) around!