My Zig Zag Diet?

Options
So I think I'm going to start calorie cycling, or a zig zag diet because I only seem to lose weight when I start eating enough calories, and when I start eating too few calories. As soon I get into a routine it seems my weight loss come to a halt.

I was hoping for opinions before I start this as to whether or not you guys think it's healthy and safe. I should say before hand that I am taking a daily multivitamin, which has more of the specific vitamins I need (Iron, B vitamins, etc) because I'm a vegetarian, so I will be getting the appropriate amount of nutrients.

Day 1 - 950

Day 2 - 1400

Day 3 - 900

Day 4 - 1200

Day 5 - 1150

Day 6 - 1400

Day 7 - 1100

Let me know what you think. Is it a good idea to try? I don't think I can do too much damage with a plan like this as long as I make sure to eat enough healthy foods, and get my water in..

Thanks for your input!

Replies

• R4z0r4Mm0
    R4z0r4Mm0 Posts: 131
    Options
    Same thing happens to me if my calories are the same everyday - I do the same and works well for me. I increase my exercise when my calories are high and reduce it when it's low - it's worked for me quite well. Good luck, stay safe! :)
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, if your body is capable of losing 100 pounds these numbers should be higher. I need to lose 20 and I'm eating 1,600 net calories a day. That might be why you're halting all the time. You eat enough, your metabolism kicks in to gear, then you slow down your intake, your metabolism is still chugging, so you lose. Then it stops.

That being said, zig-zagging can be very beneficial, but I've always heard to only vary it by about 200-300 in between your high and low days.

**Edit: read your ticker wrong, but still, calories seem a little low**
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea as I have heard that works. Those 900 days will be tough though! I know for me, as it is so hard to stick to 1200 each day without going over. GOOD LUCK and keep us posted on your progress with it!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I think it is worth trying. You have to find what works for you.
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    It looks fine. Do you exercise at all?
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Typically, there is one very high intake day, at least that's what I've read and applied to my own zig-zag diet. Assuming you exercise, I would have alternating days of 1200 - 1500, then one day of about 1600 - 1800, but exercise harder on that day. If you don't really have physical activity in your regimen, then I suppose that's relatively okay, but I'd bump your low days up to about 1100 - 1200. That's just my opinion.
  • bethanysano
    Options
    My only concern about this, and of course I'm no Dr., is whether or not you can keep this going long-term. To reach your goal and maintain your loss long-term you need something you can do long-term. I don't know much about this diet, but if it's something you can keep up then I say go for it!
  • jessimacar
    jessimacar Posts: 291
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice!

And to answer the question above, I would probably slowly bring all the numbers closer together once i get close to my goal weight. That way my body will slowly get used to eating more regular calories. But that's not even close to happening! I still have a lot to lose. :)