Sandwiches

Options
I tend to eat a sandwich a day, and have realised that my calorie totals may be wildly off when putting them into my food diary.

To me, a sandwich is two whole slices of of bread and a filling = 1 serving of 1 sandwich.

However, some people may understand 1 serving of 1 sandwich to mean 1 slice of bread or even half a slice of bread, I suppose.

So, when putting sandwiches into my food diary, what should I be assuming about this?

Thanks.

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I would put it item by item- 2 slices bread, meat, condiments........
  • ican♥and♥iwill
    ican♥and♥iwill Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Why not just add the individual items to clear up your confusion?

2 servings of bread
    1 serving of meat
    And your condiments

It seems that would be the most accurate way? That's what I do, at least.
  • sapiers
    sapiers Posts: 14
    Options
    The database is pretty good so I would put in whatever you actually have. That means you can actually put in the brand of bread and how many slices and it will total the calories. for me I use slim buns, deli flats, depending on the type (white, wheat, etc..) they are between 80 - 100 calories for both halves.
  • xerinx2011
    xerinx2011 Posts: 222
    Options
    Yep thats how i list them. 2 slices of brown bread, 2 slices of hame and 1 teaspoon of mustard. I do that with everything so its the actual portion of what i eat!
  • Tarah1357
    Tarah1357 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I usually break everything down to make sure I'm using the right amount of calories. 2 slices of whatever type of bread, how ever many oz of meat, & cheese if I use it. I also list any veggies that I put on the sandwich as well. I guesstimate on the amount.
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I know it's more time consuming but I would be tempted to put your own sandwich details in detail to your food dairy and remember them as meals so that you have your own accurate sandwiches details in your profile for for future use.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat a sandwich a day, and have realised that my calorie totals may be wildly off when putting them into my food diary.

To me, a sandwich is two whole slices of of bread and a filling = 1 serving of 1 sandwich.

However, some people may understand 1 serving of 1 sandwich to mean 1 slice of bread or even half a slice of bread, I suppose.

So, when putting sandwiches into my food diary, what should I be assuming about this?

Thanks.

Add ea ingrediant in. bread slices, veggies, cheese condiments ect
  • BenedictFarrer
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Will list items individually from now on.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I either add things item by item, or, if I know I always make it the same way, list it as a recipe or a meal. For instance, a PB&J for me is always the same two slices of bread, two tablespoons of peanut butter, and half a tablespoon of jam. Should I buy a different brand of jam or whatever next time, I'll just edit the recipe. Or if I change my habits - I recently went from 1 tablespoon to 2 on the peanut butter, so I edited the recipe to reflect that.
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I was just reading bread labels at the grocery store last nite. I've always been a white lover and now i'm trying to eat whole wheat/grains. Boy, i learned all breads are not made equal!...lol All different calorie counts, and some serving sizes's are one slice, while others are 2. I know the counter on here adds it up for you but make sure your putting the correct serving size that your consuming.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I was just reading bread labels at the grocery store last nite. I've always been a white lover and now i'm trying to eat whole wheat/grains. Boy, i learned all breads are not made equal!...lol All different calorie counts, and some serving sizes's are one slice, while others are 2. I know the counter on here adds it up for you but make sure your putting the correct serving size that your consuming.

Omg, It made such a huge difference to me, just switching from Kingsmill 50-50 (92 calories per slice, iirc), to Warburton's Wholemeal (58 calories per slice).

Sure, I could get a similar effect by cutting a slice of Kingsmill in half, but it wouldn't feel like a proper sandwich that way.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I enter each item of the sandwich separately. 2 slices of bread, veggies, meat, etc.
  • princess_f
    princess_f Posts: 148
    Options
    i also add each item, i also compare what the pack says to the mfp cals (so far so good!)
  • hope_khm
    hope_khm Posts: 26
    Options
    Dude you got to count everything!!! First off because once you do, you will seriously reconsider what brands of bread you are willing to invest the calories in. For me, I have a favorite sandwich - so I put it in as a recipe. Then you only need to enter the recipe once, and with one quick click add it to your lunch, dinner, snack, etc. Also if you are REALLY trying to stay within your calories you got to weigh your food... here is how I do it with my scale. Add slice of bread to scale and hit zero - then add my favorite lite mayo (1 serving = 1TBS or....14 grams= 35 calories oh yea, 2 servings for me) I'm not going to measure my sandwich mayo with a measuring spoon (extra dishes??) so I weigh my portions- no muss and no fuss) then I hit zero and add my French's classic yellow mustard (1 serving = 1 tsp (5grams) zero calories) and so on and so on. Might I suggest Oscar Mayer 98% fat free bologna - it's fabulous and only 25 calories per slice!!! YUMMO Go for it sandwich dude!