Strength training and nutrition?

Options
On Monday I plan to start lifting weights at the gym 3 times a week. I still have 15 more pounds to lose but everything I read suggests that I eat to maintain my weight while lifting so that I can actually build muscle and not lose it along with the fat. I don't really want to maintain this weight but should I just shut up and try it out for awhile and see what happens? Does anyone have experience with this? The truth is, I would be happy with this weight if I were more toned and I was still losing inches...

Replies

• nsavard21
    nsavard21 Posts: 11
    Options
    Weight training is great, it will actually help you shed additional pounds. Lean muscle gives your metabolism a boost so you'll be getting more toned but it'll help the scale keep moving as well!
  • cnjbarry
    cnjbarry Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Im wondering the same thing. Im am close to my goal but still have inches to lose. I dont want to keep losing weight I just want to tone up.
  • knqtm104
    knqtm104 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm lifting weights 3 days week and cardio 5 days a week. My trainer has a great schedule and I have lost 6 pounds it has taken me 2 months.However, I have lost many inches and body fat %. So from my opinion I would give it a try it seems to work for me slowly but it is starting to show with the toning of my body. Sure hope this helps you. :)
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    the only thing to remember is more protein and fiber in your diet. proteim helps to build and maintain muscles. i always try to go way over every day on these 2 items on my journal.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Consider rotating between strength training and weight loss. Pump iron for three or four weeks, then deload and cardio for a week or two.
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    a bit of a spin off, sorry original poster.

I notice that when I do my cardio MFP gives me more calories to eat, but when I lift weights it does not. why is that?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    The weight training will preserve your muscle even in a calorie deficit. If you only have a few pounds to lose, I would suggest increasing your calories anyway. I don't know about going to maintenance level, but maybe to a much smaller deficit. The weight training will do more to help you lose fat than any steady state cardio exercise, especially if you do a high intensity type workout. Do some googling of Metabolic Resistance Training. It is probably the best exercise modality for burning fat and building muscle. As mentioned, protein and fiber are important. You need enough for the muscles to use.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

I notice that when I do my cardio MFP gives me more calories to eat, but when I lift weights it does not. why is that?

Strength training is more about what you eat than how much. You will need lots of proteins and nutrients and bacon, and it is possible to get your requirements in a smaller calorie package.
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Strength training is more about what you eat than how much. You will need lots of proteins and nutrients and bacon, and it is possible to get your requirements in a smaller calorie package.

thank you !!