Is it best to work out before eating breakfast or after?

Options
Does anyone know if it is better eating breakfast or drinking your protein shake before you go work out or should you wait until after?

Replies

• kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I would drink your protein shake after.... eat something small like a banana before to give you fuel.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goal. Working out on an empty stomach you will burn more fat. If you have good in your system that will be used 1st then when that's gone stored fat will be burnt or is it burned.
  • cfolkens
    cfolkens Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks!! I can never get it straight with the pre and post food intake, I do Isagenix.
  • julielasley
    Options
    I go to the gym every morning and do at least 50 min of cardio, I do this after I drop my daughter off at school. I only have a cup of coffee before and when I get home I have two slices of Pepperidge Farm whole grain "Ancient Grains" bread and either a piece of fruit or an 8 oz glass of OJ. This has proven pretty effective for me. I have lost 11 lbs since the holidays. My Fiancee does the same thing but he has oatmeal. Good luck to you! :)
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I find that I can work out much harder when I have already eaten something. I usually have a yogurt and a cup of coffee with skim milk before I workout, and then a bowl of oatmeal with fruit and nuts (or a nut butter) afterwards.

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/f/emptystomach.htm
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Work out AFTER you drink your protein shake!!! It's so so so important to drink/eat protein before you work out. If you don't, your body will run out of steam and you could do damage to yourself!
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Here is an article supporting eating BEFORE

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/f/emptystomach.htm
  • bonnykate
    bonnykate Posts: 123
    Options
    Studies have found that having *some* food in your system will help you work out longer and harder, which in the end will allow you to burn more overall calories. Where the calories are being burned from (fuel or fat) is not important, since your overall goal is to reduce your daily calorie consumption in order to force your body to consume fat reserves. If you eat before your workout (I like to have a small serving of a carb mixed with a protein, for the instant fuel and the long burn), even if you only burn those food calories away instead of the fat calories, you still have accomplished your goal, since at the end of the day you will have eaten less net calories.

Good luck!
  • lexy14
    lexy14 Posts: 1
    Options
    My husband and I just had this discussion the other day and then coincidentally yesterday Jillian Michaels tweeted about it.

"Smart tip: Do NOT exercise on an empty stomach. The theory that you burn more fat with no available blood sugar is a myth. In fact, it can result in the loss of muscle tissue. So, make sure to get a healthy snack in you about 45 minutes before you train."
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't care what's technically "better" for me. I know I can't function like a normal human being until I've had breakfast!
  • cfolkens
    Options
    well it sounds likea toss up....I think I will drink my Isagenix shake and be good to go!! Thanks all for your input :wink:
  • bonnykate
    bonnykate Posts: 123
    Options
    From the article posted by kmeekof:

"Burning fat is more about overall calorie expenditure, not just about the type of energy your body is using for your workout."

BINGO :D
  • cfolkens
    Options
    Pre workout: 8oz water, 1 scoop Ionix Supreme, 2 scoop want More energy, 1 Natural Accelerator
    Post workout: Isagenix Vanilla shake