Chicken and Rice (Halal)!!!

Options
So I love me some chicken and rice, lamb and rice, combo platter, whatever from NYC's halal stands. But, the dish has over 2,000 calories. Any ideas as to how I can continue eating it (not cut it out of my life) but not kill my calories for the day??

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Yeah, eat half. Save the rest for me!
  • Able0104
    Able0104 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Can you see if you can find the recipe and make it yourself. Homemade is always better! Plus the salt in it was probably off the charts as well right?
  • Sillybunni
    Sillybunni Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Only get it once a week and then save half before you even start eating. Are there any grilled options? Different kinds of rice?
  • 2011EP
    2011EP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I mean at most it's once a week, but I think like you guys said portion control is my best option. It's so delish!!
  • lockedonna
    Options
    I have things that I'm not willing to live without as well so I portion control them. Like, I saw this recipe for these totally awesome chocolate chip cookie dough stuffed cupcakes and I made them. After entering into the recipe counter, it came out to be 417 calories per cupcake so a couple of days, I only had a 1/2 of a cupcake. I'm not good at cutting yummy things out of my life because if I do then I end up hating the plan for weight loss that I'm on and I quit. This time I'm trying to keep my life as close to the same as it used to be...I just eat less if I know it has too many calories. Good luck!
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    IDK if this will taste anything like the one you're used to. But, it might be a good substitution!

For Tzatziki Sauce
    -2 Plain yogurt (i'd substitute fat free plain greek)
    -2 Cloves of garlic
    -2 Cucumbers (peeled, seeded, diced)
    - 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
    -1 Lemon
    -Olive oil, dill

For Chicken and Rice (Serves 2-3)
    -Boneless chicken thighs (1 package - 6pcs)
    -Basmati rice (I use brown rice)
    -Ginger (fresh, 1/2 tbsp finely chopped)
    -1 Tomatoes (vine-ripe, sliced into eights)
    -1 Tomato juice (small can)
    -1 Onion (white or yellow, large strips)
    -Iceberg Lettuce (
    -2 Cloves of garlic
    -Cumin, curry, salt, pepper, paprika, tabasco and olive oil

For Tzatziki sauce
    1. Mix olive oil, garlic, dill, vinegar, cucumbers and lemon juice into food processor and blend until smooth.

2. Add olive oil mixture into yogurt and mix.

For Chicken and Rice (Serves 2-3)
    1. Cook rice (in pot or rice cooker. you can also add in saffron to flavor the rice)

2. Heat wok while washing and slicing chicken into strips, rub with olive oil and sprinkle salt + pepper.

3. Coat wok with olive oil and add chicken. When chicken starts to whiten, add onions, 3 tbsp cumin, 3 tbsp curry powder, 1 tbsp paprika and tomato juice and cook for 10min.

4. Add about 10 dashes of tabasco sauce and leave on medium heat for 15 min covered.

5. Make a bed of rice, and cover half with the chicken and sauce. Place lettuce and tomatoes, and generously drizzle tzatziki sauce over everything. You can add a couple dashes of Chipotle Tabasco if you like your food spicier than most.
  • Vixxta
    Vixxta Posts: 31
    Options
    bump for brityn :flowerforyou: