always envied runners...

mrsyac2
mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
I hate running i always say some peoples bodies are meant to run others aren't. Running is my nemisis (sp?) however I always envied runners bodies and the fact that they can run. I have done a few 5k's but never for time nor speed just to accomplish something I never did. Well last night I decided that I need more cardio besides the workout plan that I am doing and I decided 3 extra days a week I will do the couch to 5k program and so today I started it. I put a podcast on my ipod dropped the kids off at school and hit the street. I have never enjoyed jogging but the fact that I had music and someone chiming in to tell me when to walk and when to jog made it quite enjoyable. Day 1 down Friday is my next day to hit the pavement, I'm actually glad that I jogged/walked outside rather than on the treadmill.

Now time for my regular workout.

Replies

• believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Anyone can be a runner. While some people are definitely more talented in certain areas than others, there isn't really anyone that can't run (barring exceptional circumstances). That being said, you may have a talent in another area (weight lifting maybe) that the runners envy! :wink:
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    I used to think the same thing. Then I started using the treadmill for my workouts and now I crave running!
  • miznel80
    miznel80 Posts: 46 Member
    Hey! Great job! :) I fancy myself a runner, I sure don't look like it but I love running. Someday I'll look like one :) Once you get your stride, it's probably one of the best feelings in the world :)
  • Frankilou25
    Frankilou25 Posts: 57 Member
    I'm exactly the same, I hate running but it looks so beneficial as the bodies they have as well as health benefits are amazing. I too just started the couch to 5k plan using 'get running' app on my iphone and its SO encouraging and gives me some me time-never thought I'd say that about running lol!! Keep at it and let me know how you get on :flowerforyou:
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Have you considered joining a group? Most running stores have run clubs with groups that run various distances/speeds/intervals etc.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    I'm right with you!!!! It's a love/hate relationship!
  • Boz1625
    Boz1625 Posts: 12 Member
    I always used to say that the only way that I would run is if I was being chased. I completed the C25K program in January and now I am training for a half-marathon in April. I never knew that I would love running as much as I do.

C25K is a great program, and I am constantly recommending it to others. Just last night, I was running a 5K on the treadmill at the gym and I had another gym goer say that she wished she had my endurance. I could have never become this strong of a runner if I hadn't had C25K as my base.

Good luck with the program, it's really great!
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Nice to hear that you are giving it another try.

Karen
  • mrsyac2
    I played all sports in high school basketball being my favorite and i hated running which is funny cause thats what you do the entire game lol.. I also always had to run extra laps at practice cause I would curse so for each letter of a curse word I had to run a lap so lets say I ran a lot and still didn't like it. Once I get my breathing down I'm sure i will enjoy it more I'm not a fast runner/jogger either I barely have a stride but I need all the extra cardio I can get. I will admit I did enjoy that 30 minutes outside with my ipod in my ears- no kids, no husband, no dogs, housework, school work... nothing but me and the pavement.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    I did the same a couple years ago.. and I had a running partner back then too. I originally wanted to run to accomplish something new.. but in the end I loved it!! I absolutely friggin loved it!!! It can be so addicting. When my running partner moved away, I still got up at 4 am to get my run in the morning. My husband says I get a goofy childlike grin on my face when I talk about going for a run. I actually get excited lol.
  • mrsyac2
    week 1 complete!! I have burned almost 3500 calories this week between my jog/walks and doing p90x. I probably will do something tomorrow just because i want to hit 3500 calories burned
  • Georgie_P
    Georgie_P Posts: 62
    Never would i have thought i could run... But now i longfor it...when i' m not out therE i feel myself get really down
  • mrsyac2
    week 2 day 1 complete! Feeling good and about to do my next workout.
This discussion has been closed.