peanut butter

Options
is peanut butter good or bad for my diet? it is very high in fat but i heard this is "good" fat... is there such a thing? i love peanut butter but i don't want it to make me FAT!

Replies

• bostongirl987
    bostongirl987 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    is peanut butter good or bad for my diet? it is very high in fat but i heard this is "good" fat... is there such a thing? i love peanut butter but i don't want it to make me FAT!
  • Quenofcrazzy
    Options
    I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER!!

it is good..in moderation..
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    When I crave PB I use the reduced fat one..............
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    When I crave PB I use the reduced fat one..............

Does the reduced fat one taste as good? I would switch if I knew it was as yummy as the original stuff.
  • Stephomie
    Stephomie Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I really like peanut butter, too. I have started buying Naturally More peanut butter, it's lower in fat and has added flaxseed. The health benefits of peanut butter out-weigh the fat. Some fat in our diets is good (and necessary), just in moderation, of course! Naturally More is a natural peanut butter, so no spun fats (hydrogenated) and is really runny. It needs to be put in the fridge, but it softens up pretty quickly & tastes really good.

Stephanie
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm also quite the PB addict. I occasionally indulge myself; it's all about moderation.
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I used to eat PB by the spoonful. Now I try and limit it to my oatmeal. Using PB as an additive to something, I use Better 'n Butter, although it tastes more like almonds to me than peanut butter. But sometimes, I still love licking the spoon after fixing my kids their PB&honey sandwiches with the real stuff. Okay, so I leave a little extra on the spoon and not all of it makes it in their sandwich. :blushing:
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I totally recommend using ALL NATURAL Peanut Butter... meaning, the ingredients list should contain two things "peanuts" and "salt"
    Most regular brands of peanut butter (i.e. Peter Pan, JIF, etc.) contain HYDROGENATED OILS... so, in the cases of those I wouldn't worry about the healthy fats from peanut butter, but rather the transfat you are putting into your diet.

I enjoy the SMUCKERS all natural peanut butter (they make smooth and chunky... and there's a kind with a dab of honey added too)... or any organic peanut butter.

Peanut Butter is definitely not bad for you, but due to the calories in it, it should be limited to 2 tbsp servings at a time.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Cashew Nut Butter or Almond butter.... it's like the freshly ground peanut butter with nothing added.

Hm, thinkin I might have a jam (I currently use Simply Fruit brand) and CButter Sandwich for lunch ......sounds simple :drinker:
  • Jenners
    Jenners Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Skippy Natural tastes even better than "normal" peanut butter, to me. I started using it long before I was even on a diet. :) Plus, you don't have to stir it like other natural peanut butters (which makes it hard for me to spread, etc)..
  • CristaAmy
    Options
    If you are fortunate enough to have a Whole Foods near by ... you can grind your own nut butters! I love cashew butter. :love:

Growing up my mom made our own ... yum, yum.
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    I've heard that other nut butters (almond, etc) are better for you, but peanut butter (all natural as people are saying) is still pretty good. I usually have a tbsp on a brown rice cake for a snack. It's quite delicious!
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    Peanut Butter is definitely not bad for you, but due to the calories in it, it should be limited to 2 tbsp servings at a time.

See there is my problem. I LOVE peanut butter but have had to put it on my "do not keep in the house" list because I tend to binge on it. Its filling so I won't eat a whole bunch of it-but after a few heaping spoonfuls I might as well have eaten fudgey brownies! I am intrigued (there should be a spell check on here) by the cashew putter b/c cashews are by far my favorite nut (also have trouble with moderation here :blushing: ) Is there such thing as A "low calorie" nut butter? The reduced fat have the same amount of calories or only like 10 less.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Most regular brands of peanut butter (i.e. Peter Pan, JIF, etc.) contain HYDROGENATED OILS... so, in the cases of those I wouldn't worry about the healthy fats from peanut butter, but rather the transfat you are putting into your diet.

I once had a professor describe it as Crisco with flavor. He was adamant that we are poisoning our children with PB&J sammiches. I've been a little leary of peanut butter ever since then.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

See there is my problem. I LOVE peanut butter but have had to put it on my "do not keep in the house" list because I tend to binge on it. Its filling so I won't eat a whole bunch of it-but after a few heaping spoonfuls I might as well have eaten fudgey brownies! I am intrigued (there should be a spell check on here) by the cashew putter b/c cashews are by far my favorite nut (also have trouble with moderation here :blushing: ) Is there such thing as A "low calorie" nut butter? The reduced fat have the same amount of calories or only like 10 less.

Well I can speak for Cashew Nut Butter...I buy the type that is merely ground up cashews, added oils or fats...great source of protein and all nuts vary in fats. But not sure how you could make 'plain' ground nuts any have any less fat except my eating less of it.:drinker:

I'm not really a binger on CButter....I use either 1T. or 1/2 T. on a sandwich ....which is good protein and you need fats in your body so.......

I suppose looking for the nut butters that don't have added fats would be the way to go.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Well I can speak for Cashew Nut Butter...I buy the type that is merely ground up cashews, added oils or fats.......

:noway: OOOPS...that line was supposed to say NO ADDED OILS