610 calories for a smoothie...is it worth it?

Options
Hello all! My name is Molly. I am new here. I love it!
Anyways, I have been working out for over a year. My husband and I recently moved into a house and with everything going on ( and the holidays) I stopped working out for a while, gained a few pounds back and am now very serious about losing those pounds and getting down to a certain weight. I have been watching my calories very well and working out ( cardio, toning and sculpting...) a lot. So last night I was going to take a night off from working out because I was going to the mall with a girlfriend and we were going to walk. We decided it would be good to get a smoothie. So we went to Orange Julius and I got a new pomegranate and berry smoothie with a nutrition boost ( joint care), not even thinking about the calories. I checked the calories online this morning.....610!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to cry
:( !!!!! It completely shot me over my calories for the day!!! It's my fault, obviously, because I should have checked it out before I drank it but oh man, you think something may be good for you...and I'm sure it wasn't BAD for me but not worth it for 610 calories. Im kicking myself today.

Replies

• Mollwal
    Options
    Hello all! My name is Molly. I am new here. I love it!
    Anyways, I have been working out for over a year. My husband and I recently moved into a house and with everything going on ( and the holidays) I stopped working out for a while, gained a few pounds back and am now very serious about losing those pounds and getting down to a certain weight. I have been watching my calories very well and working out ( cardio, toning and sculpting...) a lot. So last night I was going to take a night off from working out because I was going to the mall with a girlfriend and we were going to walk. We decided it would be good to get a smoothie. So we went to Orange Julius and I got a new pomegranate and berry smoothie with a nutrition boost ( joint care), not even thinking about the calories. I checked the calories online this morning.....610!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to cry
    :( !!!!! It completely shot me over my calories for the day!!! It's my fault, obviously, because I should have checked it out before I drank it but oh man, you think something may be good for you...and I'm sure it wasn't BAD for me but not worth it for 610 calories. Im kicking myself today.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    :noway:
    OMG I almost got one last weekend. I am so glad I chose to pass it up.

So scarey. Gotta make a note to make your own smoothies.:wink:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    610 cals... for a smoothie???
    YOWZA!
    It is not worth it at all.
    Like Eve said, make your own.
    Know what you're putting in your smoothie.
    Have fun coming up with the yummiest smoothie.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • createsure
    Options
    Bummer....
    Smoothies, and even fruit juices, are high-calorie!!!
    For me personally, it's not worth it to drink a smoothie, because although it is nutritious and probably not a bad way to obtain calories, I would find myself hungry if I used 600 calories on a drink.

That being said, unless there was a bunch of extra sugar added (which there may have been considering where you got it) a smoothie isn't "bad for you" in my opinion. They are healthy calories because its from fruit and yogurt, it's just a bunch of your daily calories all at once. Like a whole meal basically. Anyone else have any thoughts on that?
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Me, personally, would not replace a meal with a smoothie.... I like my food way too much.
    The only way I would do it if I'm heading out the door in a rush..

I can't understand why that smoothie was 600 cals??
    A 'normal' smoothie will go for about 200 calories... give or take a few.

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You can cram about a pound of fruit into a smoothie without even trying.

Add to that possible added sugar in the "booster" and wham-o.

I occasionally treat myself to a post-workout smoothie dinner. It's around 450 with my protein boost.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Ah.... I see now.
    Not my type of smoothie then.