I'm going to the grocery store, what is the one thing I shou

Options
I'm going to the grocery store and I wanted to know if there's any food (especially produce) that I should make sure to get to help me through the week?

Thanks!

Replies

• missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    vegetables:smile:
  • jsjlandy
    jsjlandy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    vitamuffins! I always gave my 4 year old vitatops, but I never tried them until recently. Wow! They really help when I'm craving chocolate. 9g fiber, full of vitamins and only 100 cals!
  • Giovanni_P
    Giovanni_P Posts: 107
    Options
    Frozen berries, and soft tofu, for making smoothies.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes - cherry tomatoes for choice.
    Shallots - banana shaped ones if you can find the.
    sweet potatoes
    natural yoghurt
    cottage cheese
    fresh herbs - corainder, flat leaf parsley, basil
    garlic
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    1.) Berries. I toss them in yogurt, oatmeal, protein shakes, cereal.

2.) broccoli. takes minutes to steam

3.) greek yogurt. full of protein, easy to eat, good for your tummy.
  • dihardcheer86
    Options
    weight control oatmeal is a great breakfast to last you till lunch :)
  • swbmcknight
    Options
    Anything non-starchy! You can eat as much of that type of veggie as you can stand because they are made up mostly of water. You'll be totally sick of them before you can eat too many calories. Cabbage is really good at helping clear out extra water weight, although it does tend to cause some GI cramping in many people.
    You don't want to eat a ton of fruit because even though fruit is good for you, it's also high in sugar. I would save fruit for post workout to help bring your blood sugar back up to par since excercise will cause it to drop some.
    If you're not sure which veggies are non-starch, just do a search for "non-cruciferious veggies"
    Most weight loss programs consider them "free" foods since they are so low in calories and high in vitamins and minerals.

Hope this helps!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    carrots, bananas, apples, lettuce, cucumbers...there are lots of stuff you can do with all of those things. I have bananas for snacks, grate up carrots for turkey meatloaf and salads for lunch w/ lettuce & cucumber. I also review my friend's food journals for inspiration. :)
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    liquid egg whites, organic washed spinach, zucchini, bag of skinless chicken brests, quinoa, brown rice, organic low sodium chicken broth ( to cook brown rice, quinoa in or to make soup), steel cut oats, soy milk or almond milk, or fat free milk, greek yogurt, berries. these are my must haves
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    my go to breakfast is zero fat yogurt (35 calories, I use the source) and Bran Buds (85 calories) mix buds in the yogurt....you get crunchy yogurt...plus the 1/3 cup buds is almost your daily intake for fiber which is great because it is hard to get enough fiber...This usually keeps me full until lunch...HAPPY SHOPPING!
  • Jrh2os
    Jrh2os Posts: 28
    Options
    Fresh crunchy vegatables that taste good unadorned. My favs are jicama, snow peas, red peppers and celery. Sometimes those can get me through the afternoon when I just feel like munching.
  • UcallMeJay
    Options
    Fresh produce and lean meats and lots of water!

I usually pick up a package of chicken breast, cans of light tuna in water, peanut butter, WHOLE Wheat bread., Romaine lettuce and baby spinach leaf.

I like to grill or oven bake the chicken breast and save it for lunch during the week. Cut up the chicken and toss it in a salad of romaine and spinach leaf, with a little light creamy ceasar dressing.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Apples are easy and very filling. Greek yogurt or cottage cheese will help you get your protein in.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    My main staples are:

zucchini
    lettuce
    tomatoes
    mushrooms
    non fat cottage cheese
    eggs
    raspberries
    blueberries
    blackberries
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Fuji apples taste best (IMO). Also if you want something that feels like dessert, try Skinny COw Icecream Sandwiches--130 cals each. I allow myself either one skinny cow or one vitatop each day. Deep chocolate vitatops are best (to me). Chicken breast can be fixed umpteen different ways. Get some yellow or green squash to steam. Brocolli is quick and easy to steam. Whole wheat bread. Yogurt, cottage cheese. Old Fashioned or steel cut oats. Sugar snap peas are yummy raw or dipped in hummus. English cucumbers are good. Check out some of your friends diaries to get some new ideas for things to eat. Bon appetit.
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Oats!
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Fuji apples are indeed delicious! My shopping list is low GI, and includes things like tinned beans, bran cereals / porridge oats, floral honey, mustard, omega 3 eggs, dried fruit (especially apricots and cherries), dry roasted peanuts, apples (seconding fiji apples as being delicious), pears, parma ham, penne pasta, pine nuts, salad vegetables.
  • twilightchica
    twilightchica Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    popcorn! its salty and delicious, and even the movie theater butter is only 150 calories for the whole bag! dont get the fat free crap, it doesnt taste good and u wont eat it lol
  • carrie_lebel
    Options
    Steam in the bag/ microwavable Edamame. I get the seapoint farms brand 90 calorie packs at walmart in the frozen food section. It takes 2 1/2 minutes to cook and then you peel the beans out the pods and enjoy. I love them with salt. Yummmmmm