Hello there...need a bit of help

Options
I just recently started this and entered my weight of 475(estimate) and my height of 5'10" and the calculator told me 2950 calorie goal. Is it because of how large I am or is it really suppose to be that many calories in a day? I was always told to stick below 2000 calories a day.
Is there anyone else here who is as morbidly obese as I am because i could really use some tips.

Replies

• exxxtasi
    exxxtasi Posts: 39
    Options
    it is about the start weight, as you lose, you have to update your weight and the calories will reduce.

the more weight you carry around requires additional calories to funtion. but it will go down! good luck on reaching your goals!!
  • indycello
    indycello Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that MFP takes out your daily amount that you need to obstain from eating for you...when I was 310 my calories per diem were more like 2300 now they are at 1630. They adjust for you. I say eat what you are alloted but if you don't want to eat more than that then don't! :) I would definitely listen to MFP
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    There are all different kinds of people on MFP! :-) Welcome! I would follow the MFP guide lines and see if it works. They are pretty good about getting it right! Make sure you truthfully log everything that in your diary! Learn from other MFP peeps to see how they are losing! Learn as much as you can about nutrition!
    If you fill out your profile- people will learn more about you and can support you better!

Keep moving forward!

:-D
  • biancamirella
    biancamirella Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, the amount that is calculated is the goal that will supply your body with enough energy to function throughout the day. Maintaining a total around that goal over a period of time will help you lose weight, and as your weight adjusts, so the goal will lower. You don't want to start too low because your body might go into shock and then you won't get anywhere. It's better for both your mental and physical health to take the changes slowly. As your body adjusts to the new levels, it will be easier to keep your weight at the point. I know it can be frustrating to hear when you are starting off and feel so motivated. But if you want to keep the end results for a long period of time, then you need to take those changes slowly. Just focus on reaching that calorie goal, and with healthy foods. Good luck with everything!
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    What did you set your activity level at? The more active you are, the more calories you need to function. Personally, I would start at 2000 cals and go from there. If you don't feel comfortable taking a stab in the dark, talk to your Dr. Best of luck!
  • oconor316
    oconor316 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started my activity level at the lowest setting because I do not do much activity at the moment other than walking around the house checking the mail watching my son ect....
    Another question I was going to ask is if it is possible to lose weight by eating a bit under the calorie goal and not doing hard exercise....or lets say I start walking more often how would I figure the calories I burned?
    It will be hard to stay on this site with me having bi-polar so is there any good ways to stay motivated? Sorry for all the questions.