Your thoughts on BMI & ideal weight

Options
BMI says I should weigh 126 lbs....I'm 5'5 & when I did weigh 126, back in the day, my ribs and spine were visible. Currently I'm 189 & it says I'm obese, although people are usually suprised when I tell them how much I weigh, thinking I weigh much less. I really don't think it accounts for those of us with heavy bone & muscle mass.

My 12 year old is the same way, even as a baby she was "solid" & heavier than she looked. This whole "ideal weight" thing really bothers me as she's convinced she should weigh 100 lbs like her friends. (I have explained to her that we have a different body type in hopes that I can nip this in the bud.)

Replies

• LaurynBrookJohnson
    LaurynBrookJohnson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. People are shocked when I tell them what I weigh. According to the charts I should weigh about 114. At 127 I looked sick. My neck was sunken in and my spine and ribs showed. I still had chub on my thighs and arms though. I think it's all in how our bodies are made. You'll know when enough is enough. You've got a harder job of losing weight while still letting your daughter know that the most important thing is a healthy and safe body image and to be happy with how you are built. Good luck!!
  • nuklep
    nuklep Posts: 9
    Options
    I would understand muscle mass theory, but don't know about 'heavy bone'. Aren't all human bones of similar density?
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I understand you on this. I am 5'10 and now weighing 238lbs. No one believes me when I tell them my weight... My ideal is 138-154 lbs, I think that is ridiculous, I will be one skinny. So I am just going to lose until I am comfortable with myself and feeling good. Good Luck...
  • 3Heather24
    Options
    My BMI said I was obese until a week or so ago, and I'm a size 8 (5' 7"). I hardly consider a size 8 obese, when I'm tall (for a girl). Hubby's says obese, & he is FAR from it.

I think the guidelines are on the ridiculous side, but that's me.
  • chicnsweet83
    Options
    I think you should probably look at your body fat. Why not use that as a way to measure where you should be? For instance...i'm 5'0 and 117. But people tell me I look skinny and I have a high body fat %, it was at 28 now after 1 month down to 26.8...realistically I could go for 22%, which would probably drop the weight down several more lbs.
  • chellis76
    chellis76 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have 2 daughters born 17 months apart and my oldest has a much larger frame than my youngest and she just turn 5 and weighs 50 lbs, She is also a head taller than my youngest. She is just going to be a solid individual. Not a bad thing at all. I also have a stepdaughter that is 16 and when she was 5 she was the same at my 5 year old. Must be dadys DNA because my youngest is thinner and has a smaller frame. Our daughters have to understand our own bodies and we don't have to look like everybody else. We are all made differently and that is what must us who were are!! They have to love themselves before anybody can. Good luck!!! Not all men love the tall super thin girls. They usually perfer some shape!
  • ChristineMiller2
    Options
    I agree that its tricky, but types vary a lot. I would suggest to get to a weight where YOU feel comfortable and healthy. I think the bmi levels seem a bit extreme. My husband is considered "obese" and thats just ridiculous.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I would understand muscle mass theory, but don't know about 'heavy bone'. Aren't all human bones of similar density?

No. Bone density varies from individual to individual as does bone "size". Any easy test to find out whether you have fine, average, or large bones: take your thumb and middle finger, wrap them around the thinnest point of your opposite wrist (right next to the hand, very hard to have fat there). If they overlap, you have fine bones; if they touch, you have average size bones; if they don't touch, you have large bones.

Density requires testing, but most weight lifters, as an example, have dense bones; allowing them to lift greater weights. No matter how much muscle you build, if you have fine small bones, you're not going to be able to lift great weights.

On the anectodal side: By BMI, I should weigh 125 lbs. I would be skin and bones at that weight.

191459532_0839e45e72_b.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/baisleac/By others/191459532_0839e45e72_b.jpg
    5'4" 145 lbs in this image (5 years ago)

559f4bf9.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/baisleac/By others/559f4bf9.jpg
    5'4 140 lbs (6 years ago)

Edit: ARGH! Why isn't the image posting working?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I have two daughters. The oldest is starting to worry about her image as well. it's very important that they know their self worth and value now, before some idiot, some chick, some guy try to tell them otherwise. BMI is a bit of a crock to me. I don't believe in the whole big boned theory, but some people do have more muscle mass on their bodies. This is my favorite pic in regards to the whole BMI theory.

bmi-comparison.jpg
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    BMI is nuts!!!!

I'm a 6 foot tall male and after 2 rounds of P90X I weighed 182 with visible abs and 183 is the top end of normal for a male my height.

I would need to be 20 pounds lighter to be in the middle of the normal range. I'd either have to have zero muscle or 2% body fat.

I give BMI no thoughts!
  • Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so just get your BF % down and don't worry too much about the # on the scale :)
  • ChristineMiller2
    Options
    No, peoples bones are of different density. And actually someone who weighs more, their bones are "bigger" and more dense. The bones become this way from carrying the weight, proven fact. Interesting as I never thought of it that way or that it could be, but it is.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i have heard many people say 'there is no such thing as being big-boned'. and that's it's just a nice excuse for fat people to feel better. well, i gotta say i firmly believe in being big boned, cause i am. no one ever believes i am the weight i am. i was at the doctor the other day for a physical, and the pretty little young nurse had me get on the scale, the was something wrong with their pro scale, so they had a crappy little bathroom scale that only went to 300lb, and she totally though i would be under 300lb. i had to tell her what my scale at home said cause of course, for the moment, i am still over 300. lol

i also was talking with my younger brother about what my goal weight atm is, and we got talking about what my weight was now...he swore i only had to be around 260lb. i may have to think of something really nice to get for him as a present :P no one thinks i am as heavy as i am, i have big wrists, ankles, feet, hands, shoulders...you name it, and no, it's not because those areas are covered in fat, i have always been that way. my mom is also pretty big boned, and carries her extra weight like i, i just happen to be taller, and a little heavier.

so my thought on BMI and your 'ideal' weight? it should be what you feel comfortable with. if you think you are fine 10lbs above what your ideal weight should be according to your BMI, well then go for it. everybody is different, with a totally unique to them body, and if we were meant to look alike, well...we would look alike :)
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    BMI does not make sens to me. I am in a size 4-6 but my BMI is still overweight. I am 4'11'' and a half. If I use 4'11'' my healthy BMI is between 91 and 123 pounds!!! If I use 5' it's 97-128 pounds. I remember when I was 120, I was really thin..... can't imagine myself bellow 100 pounds!!!!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    "Limitations of BMI
    Although BMI is a reliable indicator of total body fat and predictor of disease risk, it does have some limitations. Since it’s solely based on body weight, the BMI measurement does not differentiate between fat and muscle. So, if you’re an athlete or you have a muscular build, your BMI value may indicate that you’re overweight or obese when in reality, you may have little body fat and a lot of muscle. On the contrary, for people who lost muscle mass (such as older persons or people with injuries), BMI may underestimate the amount of body fat (1).

Also, keep in mind that BMI is only one measurement used to determine health risk. Other factors to consider include waist circumference, family health history and lifestyle habits." http://www.circleofresponsibility.com/page/101/bmi-calculator.htm.

In our heart clinic, we base more of our concern for overweight/obese on waist circumference. For a woman your waist should be less than 35" and for a man, less than 40". And to clarify on where to measure your waist in simple terms, it's the part of your abdomen that goes through the door first! You can't go by your waist size of your pants as sometimes the "stuff" over the top of your pants has a bigger circumference than the waist size of your pants.
  • ashleighk2010
    Options
    I was overweight (almost in obese) at 5'6 and 177. Now I'm at the high end of normal at 154. My ideal BMI according to the charts is 136 (my current goal is to reach that...) but before I gained the weight I used to weigh 125 and still had a belly. So I have no idea how accurate they are, but I think I must have a really odd shape or something. =]
  • zandhmom75
    zandhmom75 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The BMI chart gives a fairly wide range of healthy weights for different heights. It's a tool, giving a general idea of a healthy weight for you. I learned in Nutrition in nursing school, that since it does not take into account build or body fat %, it should be used as a general guideline, not gospel. A muscle-bound body builder could very likely come up as being obese because of their weight, even though their body fat may be 8%. Measurements and body fat % are the things I've learned to base my goals on. That, and the way you feel. One of the most dangerous things, is the unseen visceral, or belly, fat. The fat that may surround your organs. I'm not sure that a number on the scale, or in a chart, can tell you this. I would just shoot for a goal that you feel is right for your body! :flowerforyou:
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    BMI says I should weigh 126 lbs....I'm 5'5 & when I did weigh 126, back in the day, my ribs and spine were visible. Currently I'm 189 & it says I'm obese, although people are usually suprised when I tell them how much I weigh, thinking I weigh much less. I really don't think it accounts for those of us with heavy bone & muscle mass.

My 12 year old is the same way, even as a baby she was "solid" & heavier than she looked. This whole "ideal weight" thing really bothers me as she's convinced she should weigh 100 lbs like her friends. (I have explained to her that we have a different body type in hopes that I can nip this in the bud.)

Oops...posted twice! :blushing:
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    for me be in my ideal BMI, I would need to weigh between 118 and 155. I haven't weighed that since maybe the 5th or 6th grade. Let alone I have one of those muscle mass measuring scales and I have roughly 190 lbs of muscle on my 5'7" frame. Granted I am sure the muscle mass reading isn't 100% accurate but if I were to get down to say 140 lbs, I would look like a short version of Skeletor. That's not going to happen. BMI, in my opinion is bs. Obviously if your BMI is 50 you should pay attention, but if you are in the neighborhood of 25% to 30% muscle you should be healthy. My BMI right now is around 50, I still have ways to go, but my cholesterol is good and my blood pressure this morning was 116/68. It's amazing what eating healthy and exercise can do in such little time.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    I am 5'5" also and also 189. I am also a gastric bypass patient, 7 years out and have experienced some gain. (on my way back down tho!) I lost too much and ended up at 145. Let me tell you, I looked ghastly at 145! I looked like a major tweaker,(drug addict) or an anorexic. Even my boyfriend (at the time) preferred "skinny" women, he was being mean and ordering me to stop! (like I could anything about it....jerk!) Thank God, we all experience some "bounce back" weight and I eventually did end up at 165. Size 10. I looked like I weighed 145, but was actually 165. So... I've had the rare oportunity to walk around in three vastly different bodies. Believe me, this extra 24 lbs, I'm carrying around, will come off and this time I will make SURE I go no lower than 165. And yes, that still puts me in the "overweight" catagory! Who cares!! (right after RNY surgery, one ends up, where you end up. It's kinda hard to stop, till you can consume more calories) , BMI is hogwash! Some people have larger frames, heavier bones etc. I was told that by my bariatric surgeon, before my RNY surgery. When people are carrying extra weight around, their bone density is higher, to carry the extra lbs. That does NOT go away cause you lose weight. Frame size also never changes.