Easy Protein?

get_it_gone2012
get_it_gone2012 Posts: 214
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
Hey MFP's!
I don't currently have access to any cooking appliances, and the eggs/meat i have access to for breakfast are coated in butter and grease (college dining hall :sick: ), and therefore I currently eat peanut butter in the morning for protein.
My question is: what are other forms of protein that are good in the morning and don't require any cooking (apart from adding hot water).
Thanks!!!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Nuts, cheese, yoghurt, can you buy boiled eggs anywhere?
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    low fat mozzarella cheese sticks! if there is a microwave, carton of eggwhites are great too
    nuts of course
  • Whey protein. Don't buy from GNC...too expensive. Wal Mart has it with 26 grams of protein at only 130 calories. Add water or milk (8oz of 1% adds 100 calories). Very low fat per serving. I travel a lot and pack 8 servings in zip lock bags to make in my hotel rooms.
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Kashi Go Lean cereal is pretty decent, as far as non-cookable protein goes.
    Greek yogurt.
    Cottage cheese.
    Sometimes I cheat in the morning and eat a Luna Bar if I'm in a hurry. They have a high protein bar, but even their normal bars run at about 9grams of protein, which isn't too shabby. They are higher calorie though (about 180 calories), so be aware of that.
  • jaysp87
    jaysp87 Posts: 32
    You can microwave scrambled eggs. They aren't too bad!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    special K protein plus with milk. That's easy enough for a dorm room!
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Hey MFP's!
    I don't currently have access to any cooking appliances, and the eggs/meat i have access to for breakfast are coated in butter and grease (college dining hall :sick: ), and therefore I currently eat peanut butter in the morning for protein.
    My question is: what are other forms of protein that are good in the morning and don't require any cooking (apart from adding hot water).
    Thanks!!!

Hello.
    You actually do not need that much protein. I only need 40 grams a day. Meat has about 20-25 grams of protein in just a 3oz peice. Everyone says that you need more protein hence the protein shakes and drinks but we actually have too much proteoin. You body only uses what it needs and then junks the rest.This article might help:)

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/protein.htm

HOW MUCH PROTEIN DO WE NEED?

Our protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level. The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person should eat 92 grams.
    Another way to compute protein needs has to do with lean body mass. This method is discussed in the Zone Diet and Protein Power books.

DO PEOPLE WHO EXERCISE NEED MORE PROTEIN?

Although it is controversial, there is evidence that people engaging in endurance exercise (such as long distance running) or heavy resistive exercise (such as body building) can benefit from additional protein in their diets. One prominent researcher in the field recommends 1.2 to 1.4 grams per kilogram of body weight per day for endurance exercisers and 1.7 to 1.8 grams per kg per day for heavy strength training.
    But shouldn’t protein intake be a percentage of total calories?

Quite a few programs and nutritionists quote percentage of calories, usually in the range of 10 percent to 20 percent, as a way to figure out how much protein a person needs to consume daily. This is a rough estimate of a person's minimum protein needs. It works because typically, larger and more active people need more calories, so the more calories they need, the more protein they will get.
    Where this falls down is when people are eating diets that are lower in calories for any reason, conscious or not. People who are ill or losing weight, for example, do not need less protein just because they are eating fewer calories.

WHAT HAPPENS IF WE DO NOT EAT ENOUGH PROTEIN?

Unlike fat and glucose, our body has little capacity to store protein. If we were to stop eating protein, our body would start to break down muscle for its needs within a day or so.
    Is it OK to eat a lot more protein than the minimum recommendations?

This is the crucial question for people on diets that are higher in protein than usual, as low-carb diets tend to be. In a review of the research, the National Academy of Sciences reported that the only known danger from high-protein diets is for individuals with kidney disease. After careful study, they recommend that 10 percent to 35 percent of daily calories come from protein. They point out that increased protein could be helpful in treating obesity. There is also accumulating evidence that extra protein may help prevent osteoporosis.
    Extra protein can be broken down into glucose in a process called gluconeogenesis. On low carb diets, this happens continually. One benefit of obtaining glucose from protein is that it is absorbed into the bloodstream very slowly, so it doesn’t cause a rapid blood sugar increase.

WHAT FOODS HAVE THE MOST PROTEIN?

Meat, fish, eggs, dairy products, legumes, and nuts all have substantial amounts of protein. These articles can help:
  • Thanks for all the great input!
    And JEK717, that article was really great! I was concerned about eating more protein, but that wasn't why I wanted food suggestions. I just know that if I have a good dose of protein first thing then I eat better the rest of my day :happy: ... and I'm getting a little bored of peanut butter haha!
    Thanks so much!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    I would check your amount on MFP. You do need protein, I think for girls it's .8 grams per kilogram of weight. This site has some info, and it's written by a registered dietitian, so it's legit.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/wheres-the-beef-wheres-the-health-benefit
This discussion has been closed.