Why record water in MFP

Options
I understand the value of drinking water in general, and for curbing hunger. But beyond that - are there specific benefits for weight loss? I'm trying to find motivation for logging my water intake.

Replies

• madamelaporte
    madamelaporte Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I think it definitely helps weight loss! I have dieted before and not drunk much water this time I am drinking it and lots of it and losing weight much easier than before and I thank the water :) It also helps eliminate cellulite so Im always up for that :)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Drinking water allows your body to release stored water.
    If you eat a high sodium meal, you retain water. Drinking more lets your body know that it's ok to release what it is storing. So, more water = less bloating.

Also, it helps keep you feeling fuller, and it is great for your skin.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Drinking more water = less water weight. May be counter intuitive, but a high water intake is important if you want to keep off extra water pounds. It's also extremely important for overall health and fitness.
  • spicysassy
    Options
    I log it to keep track of the amount of water I drank. This way I know if I drank enough.
  • Beach_Chica
    Beach_Chica Posts: 111
    Options
    The way water worked for my body was that if I missed my water goal for the day, I wouldn't lose as much weight or I'd hold that extra weight. My body stored what it could when I lacked. Plenty of water keeps you flushed and hydrated. It works all the way around for me.
  • myfitz4life
    myfitz4life Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I got this from www.immunesystemremedies.com:

"Natural, healthy weight loss can occur only by increasing one's intake of good healthy water. Weight loss is primarily the result of the liver converting stored fat into usable energy. But when the body is dehydrated, fat cells get "rubbery" and cannot be easily metabolized. This means that it's harder to lose when you don't drink your water. "
  • pisceanangel
    Options
    Water also increases metabolism, that way you can burn calories faster!
  • obifatkanobi
    Options
    Besides aiding in weight loss, flushing the system of impurities, and helping to metabolize fat, water is also a natural pain medication, it keeps joints lubricated, fluid around the nerve fibers, and aids in digestion.
  • 3Heather24
    Options
    Well if you are on here taking the time to log everything else, why NOT log them in? Seems kinda silly not to.
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    Well if you are on here taking the time to log everything else, why NOT log them in? Seems kinda silly not to.
    Sorry you think it's silly. I keep VERY busy at work and keep a water bottle on my desk. So my water intake tends to be spread out over the day whereas my food intake is only a few times. It's just a little more difficult for me to keep up with it than my food entries. So I need to know a good reason for doing it if I am going to invest the effort.
  • dengarrett
    Options
    Thank you for the responses - and I have learned a thing or two. And (all but one :smile: ) of your posts has given me a reason to now record my water in MFP. Great deal!!
  • dengarrett
    Options
    Just recorded my first water intake on MFP :smile:
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It's just to help you keep track, but if you can do that without MFP, then you don't need to log it. I don 't log my water most of the time, but I always have a water beside me so I don't really need MFP to help me remember.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    If you are too busy to log water, just make a note on your hand or on a sheet of paper, then log at the end of the day. I have no internet access for a good majority of the day, so I try to remember what I ate, or use the scrap paper to help me. Logging it here reminds you to drink each day!
  • jstalittlecrzy
    jstalittlecrzy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I record my water at the end of the day -
    to keep track of what I drink during the day, I use a fresh bottle every morning, and refill it at least 4-5 times during the day.
    Every time I finish it I mark the label with strip with a back permanent magic marker - then I know I have had 3 - 4 - 5
    bottles during the day. But I do have a good source of natural water so this helps.
    Good luck with your journey
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I always wonder what MFP classes as a "cup" ? "We recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of water a day. "

In my flat I have pint sizes glasses which is 568ml.

I do record my water intake when I remember but It's just a guess.
  • fayelein
    fayelein Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Defiantly going to start to start drinking water now after reading this!

Does it count if I add sugar free squash? I'm not really a fan! Failing that is sparkling water just the same benefit wise?
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I always wonder what MFP classes as a "cup" ? "We recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of water a day. "

In my flat I have pint sizes glasses which is 568ml.

I do record my water intake when I remember but It's just a guess.

They mean cup as in the measurement. :smile: A measuring cup full of water is equal to 8fl oz. of water. So 8 cups of water a day is 64fl oz.