Significant Other working nights

Options
Anyone have this happening? My boyfriend is going start working 8pm-4am this Sunday. I work during the day. Has this changed anyone's relationships for the bad? We won't get much time together before on of us has to go to work.

Replies

• Griffin90
    Griffin90 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If he isn't working 7 days a week then don't worry about it. I have many friends who are married and work that type of shift. If you are questioning if a work schedule is going to hurt your relationship you better take a hard look at your relationship.
  • KristenAnn711
    Options
    I'm just curious becuase we're used to having a lot of time together so it will be a change. I'm not worried about us breaking up or anything like that.

It's 6 days a week.
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    thats how my mom and dad are, and my mom is thinking about getting a day job (she's the one that works nights) especially now that my brother is graduating and they will have an empty house. They only see eachother at night right before she goes to bed. I know it's hard on them but they manage, I'm sure you can too.
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My husband works all shifts. Sometimes First or second or third and anywhere from 4 to 16 hours and on occasion up to 100 miles away from home. It sucks...plain and simple.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I were on opposite schedules. You just have to set a date night.. make sure you get that quality time together! We had Fridays as our date nights and would watch a movie, cook supper together, etc.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did that for 12+ years. Now he's an OTR truck driver. I miss having him home, but it's alright. If it's meant to be, you'll get through it. Expect some bumps along the way with the transition, but if he can sleep while you work and you can make time for each other between shifts, you'll be fine! Then after he leaves for work you can hit the gym and whatever!

Good luck!
  • KristenAnn711
    Options
    Aww :(
  • LivingFree
    Options
    My husband works only nights. We've been happily married for 15 years :)
    You make the moments count.
  • FromFlabtoFab_13
    Options
    My fiance and I work opposite schedules. He works nights & I work days, but we make it work. All you need to do is make the most of your time together. Make sure both of you are getting plenty of rest but make sure you spend as much time together as possible. If you really love each other, which it seems that you do, you can make it work :) You will always miss each other, but it will make the time you do get to spend together that more special and rewarding.
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    that is tough.... that doesn't leave much time together at all. My husband works shift work and we have freinds where the husband works straight nights. We try hard to keep that 1-1 time precious and stay committed to it. We also use the telephone, texts and emails when we can, especially to exchange information about the household, kids etc. I know that lots of circumstances do not allow for that, but it works for us!
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    Anyone have this happening? My boyfriend is going start working 8pm-4am this Sunday. I work during the day. Has this changed anyone's relationships for the bad? We won't get much time together before on of us has to go to work.

My husband started nights tonight. This is the first of 6 nights. He does 6 nights, off 2, then 6 days & off 2. We have been married 18 yrs (and he has always worked swing shift), but it hasn't been a problem. I do get terribly bored when he is working nights though. :(
  • sammybey
    sammybey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend works nights 5 days per week at a restaurant, which (now that he moved in with me) is unfortunately an hour away. He leaves around 2pm and gets home anywhere from 1-3am.. Meanwhile, I wake up at 6am for work M-F and get home at 5pm! We do have our two "date nights" per week, but I would go crazy if I wasn't able to come home during my hour-long lunch break during the week.

He is likely switching to a closer restaurant in the next couple months, which will spare up more free time... and also attempting to get into an LPN program during days which will eventually lead to us being on the same schedule... someday!