No laughing. I'm serious.

Options
AndyBee
AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
How in the world do you shake your booty? I can't seems to do it right in Zumba. I feel like such an idiot trying to jiggle my booty, and it just looks awful. I just can't seem to figure it out. Any pointers?

Replies

• MarieRich
    MarieRich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Shake your hips really fast back and forth. Thats the best I can explain. Good luck!
  • prekteacher2
    Options
    I'm not a dancer but I LOVE Zumba. I just move my body and have a great time doing it. Hang in there you'll get the moves.
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I need a video to help you! lol
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    it depends on the shake...some are easier with your weight on the balls of your feet, some are just a fast wiggle...

I can't shimmy my shoulders / boobs...so, I feel ya, lol
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    lol, I was the same way! I still SUCK at it....The more you do it, the better you will be.....just pretend you all alone and your a singer on stage, when in zumba! and wear sexy bra and panties, the more sexier you feel the easy it will be ;)
  • Sparren
    Sparren Posts: 106
    Options
    sometimes it helps to shift the weight to alternate feet - practise at home doing little steps and shaking your hips in time to your steps. Then as you get the technique ingrained, leave your feet on the floor and speed up your hips a little, getting faster and faster. try that. I'm lucky cause i have a large ar$e so gravity seems to take over when I'm shakin' my booty!
  • arexa
    arexa Posts: 2
    Options
    The way I learned was it's all in your legs. You plant your feet about shoulder's length apart, lock your knees, and then move your hips side to side. It takes practice and not everyone is able to do it and actually good. I still look dumb, but it's fun!
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    DON'T shake your hips! You move your knees and your legs! Keep your feet in place and alternate slightly bending your right and left knees QUICKLY. It's all about the legs moving the butt, not the hips!
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    LOL I have a similar move in Turbo Jam, and I feel like an idiot! Thank goodness the dog is the only one watching & she don't laugh! Although she does get up & leave the room, or turn her back to me... lol
    I think we are more self-conscience about it, others really don't care what we look like they are thinking the same about themselves! I just wing it & hope some day I will look like the peeps on the vid! :flowerforyou:
    The main thing is Your Doing It!
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I Zumba a LOT. I finally realized that Americans move their hip WITH the leg they've got their weight on. In Zumba, it's often the other way around. Weight on left leg. Hip on right. Also, it's not just hips side to side...it's up and around, lol! Keep practicing, it'll come to you!
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    DON'T shake your hips! You move your knees and your legs! Keep your feet in place and alternate slightly bending your right and left knees QUICKLY. It's all about the legs moving the butt, not the hips!

YES!!!! it's all about bending your knees back and forth quickly, and stick out your bum!

As for the chest shimmy - alternate pushing your shoulders forward and back and then just stick out your chest!
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm laughing cause this is me too! I just figured it's cause I'm a 30-something year-old white girl who grew up on country music:) Kinda figured this move came out after I was married and out of the bar scene!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    are you white? lol seriously though? i am & i LOVE zumba, but i'm sure that some of the moves are probably quite entertaining for those around me to see me attempt. our hips just don't move like latin girls' :o) have fun anyway!
  • AndyBee
    AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not alone! Yes, I am white, and grew up on country, christian, and pop boy bands. I have the shimi down pretty well, but my booty just doesn't want to be a budunkadunk ;) I really want to become an instructor, but if I can't shake my booty... Sigh. I'll keep at it, and shake it like a pro in no time.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Pretend that someone you are sexually attracted to is standing behind you, and the only way you can get their attention is with your "money maker." Then shake it. :blushing: Also recommended…going commando or wearing a thong. The sexier your butt feels, the easier it is to…send signals with it.

[Did I really just type that? Yes. Yes, I did.]
  • carrie_lebel
    Options
    Pretend that someone you are sexually attracted to is standing behind you, and the only way you can get their attention is with your "money maker." Then shake it. :blushing: Also recommended…going commando or wearing a thong. The sexier your butt feels, the easier it is to…send signals with it.

[Did I really just type that? Yes. Yes, I did.]

You are awesome!!!!!
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Can't imagine exercising in a thong! I spend most of my workouts trying to keep my undies OUT of there! lol :noway:
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Can't imagine exercising in a thong! I spend most of my workouts trying to keep my undies OUT of there! lol :noway:

Ok THAT just made me LOL....

I'm a Zumba-holic and I can shake it like nobody's business. :tongue: People are always asking... "how do you get your body to do that?" and I really don't have an answer for them. I guess it's like using your legs to shimmy the hips up and down with your knees slightly bent. Honestly for me... I feel it in the music and I don't even think about it... the booty just moves! I think some people are just born with it where others have to work at it. My mom who has NO rhythm comes with me to Zumba. When she first started, yes, she looked a bit spastic. She is sooooooooooo much better at it now and keeps up better than other women her age. You just need to keep doing it and you will get better with time. Practice in the mirror. :flowerforyou:
  • annafalconer
    Options
    How much fun is zumba!! I'm not very good at it but I don't care cause I see the calories burning off with my heart rate monitor! The only thing I can suggest is try and loosen your body when you shake. And heaps of practice!!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I'm a white, 40- something mommy and this move was hard for me too. I don't know that I have it down pat yet but I've been doing Zumba for about 6 months now and I think I'm getting better. It is all about the legs and the core for me. The stronger those get, the easier the moves are to do. Zumba is just very fast paced and it takes some practice to master. I love it though. I do other things to build strength. Zumba is just for fun.