LOSING WEIGHT ISNT FUN

Options
I have been over weight ever since I returned from the army .There was a time when I weighed 260 and I remember saying man im a fat Cow and now that im 370 I wander what I was thinking. Weight doesnt make a man and I know this , but I have a 6 yr old boy and I cant play with him because I am so tired in just a few minutes I CANT BREATH. At the first of the yr I said thats enough and I hope and pray Im able to stick it out this time . The route thatim taking this time is , is not a diet , Im changing my way of cooking and doing away with fast food all together and eating healthy foods. I dont want to lose then gain it back so I am changing the whole way I think about food and trying new things also. I have a goal of being able to wear a size 46-48 , I am currently wearing a size 54 and that is a hard size to buy for. Please pray for me and my wife , she is also doing this with me . I know it takes time and Im hopefully ready to stand tall and do this like I did when I quit smoking 5 yrs ago.

Replies

• bigjug1967
    Options
    I have been over weight ever since I returned from the army .There was a time when I weighed 260 and I remember saying man im a fat Cow and now that im 370 I wander what I was thinking. Weight doesnt make a man and I know this , but I have a 6 yr old boy and I cant play with him because I am so tired in just a few minutes I CANT BREATH. At the first of the yr I said thats enough and I hope and pray Im able to stick it out this time . The route thatim taking this time is , is not a diet , Im changing my way of cooking and doing away with fast food all together and eating healthy foods. I dont want to lose then gain it back so I am changing the whole way I think about food and trying new things also. I have a goal of being able to wear a size 46-48 , I am currently wearing a size 54 and that is a hard size to buy for. Please pray for me and my wife , she is also doing this with me . I know it takes time and Im hopefully ready to stand tall and do this like I did when I quit smoking 5 yrs ago.
  • kimford28
    kimford28 Posts: 320
    Options
    Hey Hey! sounds like you are on the right track! Do this for you and your family!
  • bigjug1967
    Options
    Thanks for your support , I wish they had live chat on this web site I could sure use the inspiration sometimes.
  • kimford28
    kimford28 Posts: 320
    Options
    you never know! you could mention your request to Mike and see if that is something he can do....
  • bigjug1967
    Options
    so how long u been on your Diet plan , Im really not dieting im just doing the prtion thing with healthier eating . I want to lose 170 lbs
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You are here, :heart: you are trying,:heart: it WILL get fun,:heart: there will be things that you will find easier as you get thinner, :heart: then we will have to call you something else. :wink:
    But till that time, You have all of us. We are here we have all had problems with this battle, and we are always able to give support.
    --Diann...
  • bigjug1967
    Options
    Thanks Dainn I need some support and it is nice to see sometimes im not alone with this struggle even though I know it is a big issue right now, in this country.-
  • JennW
    JennW Posts: 2
    Options
    Good luck to you. Just stay motivated even though it is hard. You should be proud that you quit smoking. That is something I'm battling myself along with other things.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I know you did not ask ME but, I have been here from October. (THIS TIME!)
    I think your idea of stopping the fast food is a great idea, THAT alone will make youy lose a BUNCH of weight.
    I started adding more fruit and veggies to what I eat. And I try as much as possible to stay away from processed foods. Which is VERY HARD TO DO IN THE WINTER!
    I have however found that if I do the cooking at HOME , I KNOW what I put in something and how many calories I am eating.
    I also read a lot and work with Doctors and Nurses all day, so if I have a question, they are a great source of answers.
    You are on the right path Bigjug, You are doing this for your son and wife and YOU!!
    --Diann...
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! You can do this! I will pray for you. =o)
  • bigjug1967
    Options
    I dont know how to accept friends , am I stupid or what lol.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Best of luck and with this site and all of us you can do it...and soon you will be able to play with your 6 yr old!

dd
  • JennW
    JennW Posts: 2
    Options
    Well I think I might of added you as a friend. I clicked on you name and it went to a page where I could send you a message and add you as a friend. So I thnk I sent you a message.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: We are glad to have you. You can do this and we are all here for you.

Its a big decision but you already have that done. Now you can make a life change that will last. One day at a time and sometimes one meal at a time. But you can do this.

It is good to have you here.

Eve
  • seamsso1
    Options
    Bigjug- you took the first step and that's the hardest one. Way to go! If we all remember we aren't alone we can do it. I'll pray for you. Support is magic and this place seems pretty magical. One step at a time. Good luck!
  • SkyDuchess
    SkyDuchess Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

What a beautiful spirit you have. I promise to pray that you and your wife gain, strenght and perserverance through this jaunt.

Take one day at a time.

One Day at a Time.

:heart: Skye
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you were able to quit smoking then you should feel confident that you can lose weight. I commend you for that!!!! Don't try too many things at once. Just pick one or two things ( like cutting out your fast food) and maybe going for walks a few times a week. Then start adding/increasing. You can do this.... we are all with you!!
  • christy_fl
    Options
    I appreciate your honesty. After my many failed attempts at loosing weight & the frustration & depression that goes along with that...I called a friend of mine (who is also an Internal Medicine physician) & she checked me out from top to bottom (litterally! ha), and blood work too & found some things I won't bore you with...but I am on a couple of meds that is making a major difference because of how my body wasn't breaking down sugars, etc...that was hindering me from losing previous weight. I started at 227 & had not seen under 200 in over 12 years.....Currently I'm at 187 & THAT (along with having gone down 2+ pant sizes) is FUN & motivating.
    The whole losing the fast food is a great start, but I've noticed that ANY eating out has been detrimental to my successes...I agree with the lady above...to eat at home...& brown bag it too. :) Keep handy dandy low fat snacks in the car & at work as well. Fruits & veggies are best & don't forget the water too! :)
    One good piece of advise I got a few years back was to get an old picture of yourself out (that's why I have my senior picture as my profile picture!) & focus on that person, make copies of that picture of yourself & post it...car, work, refrig, etc & focus on the positive, not on where you are, but where you are going.
    I will be praying for you & your wife & I just see you running circles around your child!
    God bless your efforts LITTLE Jug! :)
  • brazeaut
    brazeaut Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Wonderful to have you here and to read your very personal post. One little tip from me to you...if exercising is too difficult right now...try breaking it up throughout the day...say in 5-10 minute spurts. Then gradually you can increase your time, etc. You can do this and we all know you can!

And congrats on the quitting smoking...I am not there yet...it truly is a crutch I know and a bad one at that...once I get the good habits in place then I will tackle the smoking...

:happy:
  • frazzelmama
    Options
    hey, i just joined too, and like you, i'm just trying to make small changes that i can live with...i've stopped drinking pop, and i'm using smaller plates to help with portion control...if i can do it, i know you can do it too!!!! good luck to you...and about that colts hat??? :huh: lol, just playin witcha!!!