how much excersie?

Options
i have recently joined a gym and i have no idea how much and what excerises i should be doing? i am 60kg over weight and have done very little excersise in the past, i have been doing 10 mins on a bike 20 mins on x trainer and been walking at 4.5kmh for 15 mins on the tredmill followed by a 40 min swim and i been doing this 5 times a week but im unsure if this is engough? should i be doing some weights aswell im very confused should i increase the times that i do each excerise or the effort level? :huh:

Replies

• lotty1987
    lotty1987 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    wow sounds like your doing fantastic - keep it up ! x
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    1 hr a day is good and it looks like your doing more.. 5 times a week is a good start.. always have 1 rest day at least a week.. a little toning is good with cardio also.. if your just starting dont over do it!
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    For some one just starting out with exercise this seems like a great start.

When starting out the key is just to get active (which you are). After a few weeks you could think about increasing the intensity a little e.g you could walk at an incline on the treadmill.

As you become fitter the focus should shift from duration to intensity so you may actually work out for a little less time but work out harder. In the future you may also want to think about adding in some resistance work (weights). If your gym offers a class like body pump this would be a great start.

Well done on making such a good start :-)
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    First I need to say I am no expert and this is just my personal opinion...

The key is you have to find what you actually like doing, otherwise going to the gym can be a painful chore. If your gym is well stocked with all sort of cardio machines as well as a swimming pool (lucky!), I'd say try it all out and see what you mostly feel comfortable with for at least a 30 minute work out. You don't need to go all vigorous on your first few times, just get a hang of it and see if you are happy to stick with it for 30 minutes. You don't always have to go fast, you can always just add on intensity.

Weight training is always good as well because it helps you build muscles and muscles burn fat. I totally understand it can be intimidating to go into the weight room and start fumbling around and all the weight machines look like some crazy contraption from outer space...the best way is to ask any of the gym staff to give you an induction on all the machines so you can have at least the basic ideas of how to use them and to prevent injury.

Another great way to use the gym is join a class. I actually prefer this because it makes the time go by faster and I HAVE to stay in the class for the duration. Also it can be really fun with other people sweating and puffing all at the same time.

I'm not a regular gym bunny, in fact, i loathe it most of the time..but I picked up spinning because a friend raved about it and I love it so I do it twice a week, 45 minutes long each time. It's the only reason that gets me into the gym!

All in all, you will know what you like and what you don't like. Don't ever do the stuff you hate just because some fad said it's bound to help you lose weight. Because if you hate it, you will end up quitting on it...so first thing first, try all the machines and see which ones tickle your fancy and do it for at least 30 minutes!
  • Chaos_Residue
    Options
    The best thing to do when be to get a heart rate monitor so you can make sure that when you're exercising you're doing it at the intensity you need to be at. You could spend three hours a day doing everything you said, but if you're not getting your heart rate up there's really no point in it. As far as weights go, weights are used to increase the intensity of the workout. Start off with no weights and go up from there as your body becomes stronger. As we say in P90X, "Do your best and forget the rest." One hour a day should be good (you can do more if you'd like, just don't overdo it), and, as sandram82 pointed out, one day should be used to rest.

P.S. Remember to log your food and exercise whenever possible as it really does help you stay on track. We're all here for you!
  • samdot
    samdot Posts: 12
    Options
    thank you everyone i feel much better about the amount im doing now and i have taken on all your comments

i will look into getting a hrm, some of the machines have a hrm and ive been working on average bettween 150-160bpm which i think is the right sort of area but not all of them work so i think i will look into getting one then i will know if what im doing is right.

at the gym they do zumba classes but i dont have the confindce yet to do a class so when ive lost a bit more weight n feel fitter then i will defo go try one!!

thank you all again
    xxx
  • MagzGraz
    MagzGraz Posts: 31
    Options
    Hi there,

I too just recently joined a gym and since this was the first time walking into a gym I had a session with a personal trainer to lead me to the equipment and exercise that is going to help me the most... Maybe this is something you should do?? It does sound like you are doing well though. Good luck keep it up!!!