I know this sounds weird.........

Options
Ok, so when I excercise (especially anything cardio.....walking, aerobic class) after I get warmed up, I start to itch! I mean, my legs itch like mad! I try not to scratch (or do so discreetly) but when I get home I sometimes scratch up and down my legs so hard I leave red marks, even bruises. Anybody else have this problem? If so, anyone know why this happens and how to stop it???

Replies

• FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I get really itchy too!!! I am thinking its probably due to the sweat!! Ive just learned to deal with it!! good luck!!
  • ruthie3110
    ruthie3110 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could be to do with the blood flow. Blood pressure and pulse both increase with exercise, could be to do with the capillaries under your skin not being used to this, thus the stretching of them making you feel like you're itching..
    Not a clue just an educated guess...
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    That used to happen to me all the time, but it doesn't anymore. I think my skin just needed to get used to it.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    An antihistimine reaction, like an allergy is a common response when first exercising. Search it online. My nose starts dripping the moment I start to work out hard. Continue to work through it and you will either start to ignore it or it will stop happening. You're not alone, but it's not a reason to stop or discontinue exercise, it's harmless.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could be to do with the blood flow. Blood pressure and pulse both increase with exercise, could be to do with the capillaries under your skin not being used to this, thus the stretching of them making you feel like you're itching..
    Not a clue just an educated guess...

I always wondered if it may be something like that!
  • miznel80
    miznel80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I wonder if we just all have wierd exercise quirks? I get cold, 10 mins after I work out. I'll change my clothes thinking that it's the sweat that makes me cold, but I have to take a really hot shower before I warm back up. I wonder what that means? Some times I'll get itchy near my collar bone when I exercise, but not to the extent that you're describing.
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Yup! It's the capillaries. It's so uncomfortable. Once you start working out on a regular basis, the itchiness decreases and eventually goes away though. Thank goodness! haha
  • Pfa74
    Pfa74 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You might have dry skin. I was having the same issue when I started working out again but but found moisturizing to help out alot.
  • Trista87Marie
    Trista87Marie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You might have dry skin. I was having the same issue when I started working out again but but found moisturizing to help out alot.

same goes for me.
  • kriswigg
    kriswigg Posts: 95
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I do have dry skin, thyroid condition, so not much I can do about it. I moisturize constantly! I think I've heard about the capillary thing. I don't plan to let it stop me, but the neighbors may just have to think I'm nuts until it goes away!!:blushing:
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    LOL When the itching got really bad for me, people probably thought I had ants in my pants. hahaha!!