Might sound like a stupid question

Options
But do you burn more calories when carrying heavy weight?
Like i walk around usually everyday carrying my oversized duffle bag
Filled with 2L bottle water, 2 pairs of clothes and shoes, books etc.
It would come to at least 10kg overall...

So if i was walking to gym briskly for 30mins
Would i burn more calories carrying bag then i would wihout it?
Cause my body is working harder??

Replies

• jessimacar
    jessimacar Posts: 291
    Options
    I think there's an option when you put in your exercise to choose "walking carrying small child" or something, so you could put it as that if you were logging.

But yes, it would burn more calories. That's why people buy ankle and wrist weights. Your body has to work harder to move that extra weight.

Hope that helps! :)
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I believe initially it would. However, as you get stronger and your body gets used to carrying that extra weight, the amount of energy exerted to accommodate it decreases, which would result in a lower number of calories burned. It's the same reason why it's important to adjust fitness workouts every once in a while, so that the body stays challenged and continues burning at a nice rate. :smile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I would tend to agree with porcelain on this one.

also you must remember that the motion and muscle memory of walking precludes large calorie burn. The more practice a muscle group has at doing something, the more efficient (and thus the less energy it uses) it becomes at it. So even if you're walking everywhere, while you're going to burn some calories, it won't be a super high amount of them, and the difference in calorie burn won't be dramatic with 20 lbs of extra weight or so. If I had to guess, I'd say probably somewhere in the range of about a dozen or so extra calories per mile.
  • scalpay
    scalpay Posts: 44
    Options
    To your title, there are no stupid questions! One who doesn't ask is stupid and stays that way ;)
    I'm with Doll on this one aswell!